Star Trek Builders Unite 3 “Runtime Amok”

Comments

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

He's all polish and no substance.

you cant say that , fringe was quite good , lost had its moments and some of the things he is doing now for television are excellent . I will agree that maybe he is far to used to making images for tv but not everything he touches is crap

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

im pretty sure one of the starships mattymaxx converted has a hangar bay

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192
    edited December 1969

Let's not have another round of heated debate on the relative merits or otherwise of JJ Abrams, please.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    MDBruffy wrote -

If you want just the starship hanger deck, the only one I'm aware of is at Xcalpro- and he charges a fee for it.

This brings up something I've been thinking about. Hopefully some of you have read Nova Trek 8. Would there be enough intrest for me to bother cleaning up ands packaging the docking berth I built for that story? It was inspired by the Franz Joesph Tech manual, so it's more TOS than the station we saw in the movies. Work cranes can be moved, the ganyway can be moved.

Most definitely. Yes, please.

Just got home. I'll get back to it as soon as I finish checking e-mails.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Would there be enough intrest for me to bother cleaning up ands packaging the docking berth I built for that story? It was inspired by the Franz Joesph Tech manual, so it's more TOS than the station we saw in the movies. Work cranes can be moved, the ganyway can be moved.

Definite interest here as well.
    edited April 2013

mdbruffy said:
    Would there be enough intrest for me to bother cleaning up ands packaging the docking berth I built for that story? It was inspired by the Franz Joesph Tech manual, so it's more TOS than the station we saw in the movies. Work cranes can be moved, the ganyway can be moved.

Definite interest here as well.

Good. Right now thought, I'm stuck. There are some pieces that are parented and need to stay parented when they're loaded from the runtime. BUt I can't figure out how to do that. Apparently, "Smart props" only work when a character is involved. Any ideas out there?

Never mind. Somedone replied to my thread on Renerosity. The key's not to use the subset option. :-)

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited April 2013

OKay, what you are now seeing was assembled from files in my Runtime. There are 10 cranes-which can be swung out into the bay. There are two gangways- one on each side- which can be swung out as well.
    Now there are two folders:

Docking Berth- which has the Poser 9 Prop files

Collected Docking Berth- which has a P9 scene file and the textures

I seem to remember that Daz Studio accepts Poser Scene files, right? So do I need to include a folder of obj files for manual assembly?

Docking-Berth--WEB.jpg
    842 x 1163 - 196K
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    I seem to remember that Daz Studio accepts Poser Scene files, right? So do I need to include a folder of obj files for manual assembly?

That depends — if the prop files have the mesh included, then they're not necessary, if they don't then the .obj files are vital. The scene file should (I think) include the meshes, although I don't know if Poser 9 does this differently (P7 is the last version I have, and I don't even have it installed any more).

Don't forget to watch out for texture files, I've had several otherwise nice Poser scenes made pretty much useless because they referenced a texture from the waytheheckoutthar folder which, of course, wasn't packed up with the scene.

A nice-looking set, though. Looking forward to playing with it.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

That depends — if the prop files have the mesh included, then they're not necessary, if they don't then the .obj files are vital. The scene file should (I think) include the meshes, although I don't know if Poser 9 does this differently (P7 is the last version I have, and I don't even have it installed any more).

Don't forget to watch out for texture files, I've had several otherwise nice Poser scenes made pretty much useless because they referenced a texture from the waytheheckoutthar folder which, of course, wasn't packed up with the scene.

A nice-looking set, though. Looking forward to playing with it.

The texture files were gathered up by a new feature P9 has called "Collected Scene Inventory" It creates the scene file and gathers exactly those texture and transparency maps that are needed. With it all in one folder, the pathway from the scene file to the textures are as direct as they can be.

edited April 2013

OKay, sorry for the delay folks. I've got a small snag. Anyone know how to uncompress obj files- obz files?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

run it through Poser or DAZ Studio.

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    run it through Poser or DAZ Studio.

Doesn't have any affect on this python script. Every box that has anything to do with creating obzs has been unchecked. Yet, everytime I run the "Collect Scene Inventory" utility script, it makes obzs instead of objs.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

DAZ Studio can read OBZs...

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know how to uncompress obj files- obz files?

FWIW, what I did was rename the .obz to .zip then unpack the same as I usually do; that only took seconds. And don't forget the path references in the Poser file that need to be changed from "feinberger.obz" to "feinberger.obj".

BTW, just got your e-mail.

edited December 1969

Advanced sheet One for Book Nine:

Last-Voyage--Sheet-1-WEB.jpg
    900 x 1180 - 199K
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Looking forward to it: I just recently snarfed all the other stories, and enjoyed the lot.

Not sure why, but I thought Sundown was a much smaller ship. Makes sense to have her as a Daedalus-class, though.

edited April 2013

mdbruffy said:

Looking forward to it: I just recently snarfed all the other stories, and enjoyed the lot.

Not sure why, but I thought Sundown was a much smaller ship. Makes sense to have her as a Daedalus-class, though.

In the Nova Trek Universe, the NX-01 came first and introduced the saucer. Then the Daedalus came along and introduced the secondary, lower hull. Then Starfleet got it in their heads to combine the two and once the concept was refined and polished, they had the Constitution-class.

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Bad news, I'm sorry to say I ended up trashing my JJ Bridge. But the good news is i re started from scratch, here is the new layout:

01.jpg
    747 x 777 - 177K
    02.jpg
    747 x 777 - 135K
    03.jpg
    747 x 777 - 170K
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm going to throw this out and see what happens. Spotted Kitty's been good enough to take my Docking Berth and knock out the dents and bangs. So far, we have a Poser 9 scene file with textures that seems to work in Poser 9, and Daz Studio. Don't know about Poser 2012.
    The only catch is the gangways.For some reason, they'll load in the right positions in Poser, but not in Daz.
    Who wants to take this thing for a test drive? All you should have to do is put the textures in your texture folder and then open the scene. I'm hoping to have prop files soon- I've got an idea on those that I'm going to try here in a moment.

So, if you want to give this a try, PM me and I'll send you a copy. I'm not posting it to my DA gallery till I have the prop files and I know everything's working right.

Madison

Panel-C--WEB.jpg
    1871 x 1332 - 196K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:
    Bad news, I'm sorry to say I ended up trashing my JJ Bridge. But the good news is i re started from scratch, here is the new layout:

And each start tends to get it better and better ;-)

After you showed the previous start, I did find an image of the plastic sheet floor albeit on an angle and was able to "sort of" correct the perspective to get something of a floorplan. However I have no idea what of all the borders are for the real ship and what was just for the toy. Anyhow, watching progress with interest. Did you ever find something akin to proper schematics for it?

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 698
    edited December 1969

Just keep the lens flares out ;)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited April 2013

Ships of the Line Update:

All Good Things must come to an end.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/312326/

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Thank you very much for all what you have done and all the best with your new projects :-)

edited December 1969

Lens flare generator "Activated!"

01.jpg
    481 x 500 - 81K
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:

And each start tends to get it better and better ;-)

After you showed the previous start, I did find an image of the plastic sheet floor albeit on an angle and was able to "sort of" correct the perspective to get something of a floorplan. However I have no idea what of all the borders are for the real ship and what was just for the toy. Anyhow, watching progress with interest. Did you ever find something akin to proper schematics for it?

Never found anything, so I went back to the toy and took some time to work out the perspective of all the photos to get the floor plan. I'm also going to try to make the set more optional, with chairs and such. I know on this bridge design I hate the 2 stations in front of the helm, so I want to have them removable and have railings there optional. Also I'll have the chairs as separate pieces.

edited December 1969

Rduda said:

Lens flare generator "Activated!"

Oh hehehehe! Good one!

The best toy floormap I found was actually on a grid mat but has a definite "fold" in it so one has to allow for a tad more width [wish he'd used an iron first lol ...] however I matched it up with 'circle' lines squished appropriately in Hexagon ... however to get from the floor outline to a finished bridge, I still find daunting. Of course modeling with Hex is like learning to ride on a horse that trips. "one day" ...

edited December 1969

Second Poster for the next book. Now I have the docking berth that Spotted Kitty and I are trying to finish up and one other project I'm halfway through. Then I can start typing the manuscript for Book Nine.

NT9--Advance-Sheet-2--WEB.jpg
    900 x 1180 - 198K
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Thank you very much for all what you have done and all the best with your new projects :-)

Seconded Matty! Thank you for all the free ship conversions you worked on for all of us here and other groups! We shall never forget the name.....Mattymanx!

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Seconded Matty! Thank you for all the free ship conversions you worked on for all of us here and other groups! We shall never forget the name.....Mattymanx!

You're welcome Shadowhawk & Parience55! :)

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

So very sorry to hear this news. :( I've had a lot of fun with your conversions. Best of luck on your future endeavors, sir. :)

This discussion has been closed.