A Script to help catagorizing new content

I would really like a script to catagorize new content.  It would read the metadata and create catagories accordingly.  If the new content didn't have metadata, it would put it in an "UNCATOGORIZED" catagory.  This is similar to Studio 3, the uncatagorized catagory. If it put it in there as a product, it would be great.  I usually use the product view when i catagorize content but, not always does the name specify all the characters it can be used on.  I'l try to add more later.  Anyone else with sugestions please add them.

Gus

Comments

• You could install with DIM or Connect - if you aren't because you are using non-default folder locations within the content diectory then reading the metadata won't work.

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252

Actually Richard, I use DIM.  I'm talking AFTER installing the content on the hard drive.  I've been using Studio since version 2.3 i think, so I have more content than I know what to do with.  I'm not a very serious player but it's fun to make a picture now and then.  I couldn't really understand hoiw the Smart content pane was organized and all and I have a lot of older stuff as well.  I know something like this Script would not be perfect but, If it could Catagorize just the stuff with metadata, it would probably save me days of Content Library work. 

Gus

• But what do you expect it to do that DS isn't doing? If the files with metadata aren't being categorised then something is going wrong, it's not a process that should need additional steps.

• Perhaps it would help if the OP would explain what behavior is expected of Smart Content, since that seems to be the root of the request. My guess is that how it actually works doesn't match the expected behavior.

I apologize for the confusion.  I'm not very good at making myself undserstood, and I don't have the excuse of speaking a different language. 

As far as I know, there are 2 methods of getting at your content.  The Smart Content Pane and the Content Library Pane.  I use the Content Library Pane.  That is what I would like the Script for.  In the Content Library Pane you organize youre content the way that works for you.  You catagorize it using the directories or the product view or that other mess of catagories and such.  DAZ has made that a lot easier by setting up the directories for genisis and above in a reasonable order.  The Product View helps a whole lot also.  But, if you have a product such as the MFD and the textures associated with that, You have to go searching all the textures out and copying them to each of the generations that can use them.  Wheras the Smart Content Pane does that automatically with the metadata.  What I would like is a Script that would use the metadata associated with each New Item of content to do something similar in the Content Library Pane.  I believe when you install a product it is marked as NEW.  The first time you ran the Script, it would create a new Theme and sort everything with metadata into a logical set of catagories, similar to how DAZ set up the new Directories.  You could then go through them and copy them into your own system.  When finished you could Mark them as seen, however that works.  The next time you install more content, you could run the script again and copy the NEW things to your system.  System is how you have your catagories laid out.  When the Script runs accross things without metadata, it could put them into an "unasasigned" catagory.  It would probably be too much to hope that they could be in catagories by product, but with the prevalence of metadata nowadays there would be a lot less to deal with.  This would work with any product from anywhere that was suplied with metadata.

I hope this clarifies what I would like.  However this turns out, Thank You for your consideration.

Gus

• The trouble is that you already have metadata, for items that have it, and if you don't get it inserted at installation (which DIM and Connect do) then you can import it via the Content DB Maintenance dialogue. What you want seems to be the ability to have the system make connections (e.g. with later versions of the MFD) that are not given in the metadata as supplied (which I don't think would really be possible, though it might be possible to have a new item - such as the Genesis 9 MFD - decalre that it can use presets from the rpevious MFDs) and to make on-disc copies of the files under the new figures (which I don't think Daz would do, the whole point of the CMS was to give a way of organising content that wasn't dependent on shuffling files around on disc).

Gusf1 said:

I apologize for the confusion.  I'm not very good at making myself undserstood, and I don't have the excuse of speaking a different language. 

As far as I know, there are 2 methods of getting at your content.  The Smart Content Pane and the Content Library Pane.  I use the Content Library Pane.  That is what I would like the Script for.  In the Content Library Pane you organize youre content the way that works for you.  You catagorize it using the directories or the product view or that other mess of catagories and such.  DAZ has made that a lot easier by setting up the directories for genisis and above in a reasonable order.  The Product View helps a whole lot also.

This is all using the Content Management Database ( CMS )

But, if you have a product such as the MFD and the textures associated with that, You have to go searching all the textures out and copying them to each of the generations that can use them.

From what I understand, the newer versions of the MFD will accept textures of the previous verions.  I would like the Script to AUTOMATICALLY copy the textures from prevous versions, USING the metadata, to the catagories of any OTHER versions of the MFD.  Not the 'Genesis 9 MFD'.  I don't want to shuffle files on the hard drive, JUST in the CMDB (Content Management Database).

Wheras the Smart Content Pane does that automatically with the metadata.  What I would like is a Script that would use the metadata associated with each New Item of content to do something similar in the Content Library Pane.  I believe when you install a product it is marked as NEW. 

I'm not talking something new in the store, but something you have just installed.  I believe this happens no matter WHAT way you install it. DIM, Connect or, Manually.

The first time you ran the Script, it would create a new Theme and sort everything with metadata into a logical set of catagories, similar to how DAZ set up the new Directories. 

Inside the Content Management System.  USING the metadata ASSOCIATED with those products.  If a dress works on V4 and Genesis 2, iy would be put in the Clothing catagory under BOTH V4 and Genesis 2.  It would then put the textures associted with that dress in the texture catagory under that dress.

You could then go through them and copy them into your own system. 

Your own SYSTEM OF CATAGORIES in the CMDB.

When finished you could Mark them as seen, however that works. 

This is all in the CMDB.  You could also delete the AUTOMATICALLY CREATED catagories and the SCRIPT would recreate the base ones next time you ran it.

The next time you install more content, you could run the script again and copy the NEW things to your system.  System is how you have your catagories laid out. 

You would the copy the new thing into your OWN CATAGORIES.

When the Script runs accross things without metadata, it could put them into an "unasasigned" catagory.  It would probably be too much to hope that they could be in catagories by product, but with the prevalence of metadata nowadays there would be a lot less to deal with.  This would work with any product from anywhere that was suplied with metadata.

Most of the work is copying and pasteing.  Now you just sort through the unassined catagory because everything with metadata has been sorted.  You don't have to try to remember if this PPRODUCT works with V4 or G3.  Will THIS texture work on THIS dress, etc.

Gusf1 said:

I hope this clarifies what I would like.  However this turns out, Thank You for your consideration.

Gus

• Gusf1 said:
    From what I understand, the newer versions of the MFD will accept textures of the previous verions.  I would like the Script to AUTOMATICALLY copy the textures from prevous versions, USING the metadata, to the catagories of any OTHER versions of the MFD.  Not the 'Genesis 9 MFD'.  I don't want to shuffle files on the hard drive, JUST in the CMDB (Content Management Database).

So, in theory this is a really great idea. The problem is, someone would have to hard-code all these associations for everything in the DAZ store. I don't think you'll find anyone who will go through checking everything that works with everything else and then committing to update it forever.

What I would like to suggest to you instead: RiverSoft Art has something called Assembly Line Pose Automation Kit. Ignore the "Pose" bit. You can use this to batch mark things as compatible with another item directory by directory. So for example, you can mark all your G3F skins as compatible with G8F. Not as fast as the script you are looking for, but the closest you are likely to find.

So, in theory this is a really great idea. The problem is, someone would have to hard-code all these associations for everything in the DAZ store. I don't think you'll find anyone who will go through checking everything that works with everything else and then committing to update it forever.

From what I understand about metadata, isn't that information already coded in?  If it weren't how would the Smart Content Pane associate the extra texture sets with the clothes that they go with?  Also, I believe you can search your content for say, boots and you'll get a list of boots.  I don't know if this distinction among WARDROBE items is built into the metadata or the user has to tag all the Boots as Boots themselves. 

What I would like to suggest to you instead: RiverSoft Art has something called Assembly Line Pose Automation Kit. Ignore the "Pose" bit. You can use this to batch mark things as compatible with another item directory by directory. So for example, you can mark all your G3F skins as compatible with G8F. Not as fast as the script you are looking for, but the closest you are likely to find.

Thank you for that suggestion, I'll look into that for it's own sake.  One, not all content HAS metadata and two I have MANY poses and converters for them.

Gus

• Gusf1 said:

From what I understand about metadata, isn't that information already coded in?  If it weren't how would the Smart Content Pane associate the extra texture sets with the clothes that they go with?  Also, I believe you can search your content for say, boots and you'll get a list of boots.  I don't know if this distinction among WARDROBE items is built into the metadata or the user has to tag all the Boots as Boots themselves.

The metadata is what populates the CMS - if that isn't adding the information you want then the information you want isn't in the metadata.

The metadata is what populates the CMS - if that isn't adding the information you want then the information you want isn't in the metadata.

Does this mean that there was an upgrade to the Catagory View and now Studio populates your catagories for you?  I haven't tried Studio 4.10 yet.  I*s this new? It sure didn't do that in 4.9.

Gus

• Gusf1 said:

Does this mean that there was an upgrade to the Catagory View and now Studio populates your catagories for you?  I haven't tried Studio 4.10 yet.  I*s this new? It sure didn't do that in 4.9.

Gus

DIM and Connect have always populated the categories, manually installed content requires that the emtadata be imported (Content Library pane option menu>Content DB Maintenance>Reimport metadata).

We are talking two DIFFERENT things here.  DIM and Connect don't go into your catagories and set up each of the generations of characters, then in sub catagories place their clothing, poses, morphs, textures and all.  You personally have to do that.  I'm looking for something to take the drudgery out of catagorizing your content.

Gus

• I'm not at all sure what you mean - the categories are things like Figures, Accessories, Wardrobe (with sub-categories below that), and Filtering by selection does split things by generation. Are you talking about the folder structure on disc, which is set up the way you describe (and which can be turned into categorisation via right-click menu if desired).

I'm not at all sure what you mean - the categories are things like Figures, Accessories, Wardrobe (with sub-categories below that), and Filtering by selection does split things by generation. Are you talking about the folder structure on disc, which is set up the way you describe (and which can be turned into categorisation via right-click menu if desired).

I haven't used Studio in a couple of months, so forgive my lack of naming consistancy.  You are talking about,( in the Content Library Pane ), the 'Daz Studio Format, etc, Dirrectories', and the 'Default Catagory'.   You're right that most of what I want is there.   Maybe what I need is an improvement in the Default Catagory to make it more organized.  I've never used Smart Content Pane, but if the Default Catagory is the extent of metadata, then it has a long way to go.

Would an error starting CMS when first opening Studio have any effect?  I just opened Studio 4.10 last night and the error was there.  Remembering, I've seen it before also but, Studio didn't seem to have any problems so, I ignored it.

Gus

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,103
    edited December 2017

This script would be a fantastic idea.I wouldn't mind if all the MFD textures would show up in smart content for all versions of the dress.I currently have around 20 texture sets for the MFD.The version for G3F only shows 4 in smart content.I have to go treasure hunting to find the others :( .

It would be nice if that script could scan the DB for other such compatabilities aswell.I've bought texture sets for other clothes that are buried in completely irrelevent directories with completely irrelevent names.Which leads me to forgetting that I even have them.

Post edited by IceCrMn on
  • If it says it needs a PostgreSQL connection then yes, that would be pretty much fatal for anything but the fiel based so-and-so Formats lists.

IceCrMn said:

This script would be a fantastic idea.I wouldn't mind if all the MFD textures would show up in smart content for all versions of the dress.I currently have around 20 texture sets for the MFD.The version for G3F only shows 4 in smart content.I have to go treasure hunting to find the others :( .

It would be nice if that script could scan the DB for other such compatabilities aswell.I've bought texture sets for other clothes that are buried in completely irrelevent directories with completely irrelevent names.Which leads me to forgetting that I even have them.

As Richard said earlier, if it isn't in the metadata then it wouldn't show up.  It would be the same as Agent Unawares said about someone having to hard code the compatibilities and keep it up forever.  Now if someone updated the metadata for those things, it would be a different story.

Gus

If it says it needs a PostgreSQL connection then yes, that would be pretty much fatal for anything but the fiel based so-and-so Formats lists.

Is there a thread on how to fix this or would I have to put in a ticket?

Gus

• If that is the alert you get, is it every time or only some times? Have you just closed DIM (or Carrara) when you launch DS on the problem occasions? What security software are you using?

If that is the alert you get, is it every time or only some times? Have you just closed DIM (or Carrara) when you launch DS on the problem occasions? What security software are you using?

I seem to get it every time.  I just tried it and No DAZ software was running.  Useing Task Manager, I saw 8 postgre processes running and 1 DaZ content management service running.  I have Mcaffee Antivirus.

Gus

• mcAfee has been giving issues, though this would be a new twist. try disconnecting from the net, diabling McAfee, and launching DS - does that get rid of the PostgreSQL alert?

I turned off 'realtime scanning' and the 'Firewall'.  Things associated with Mcaffee were still running in Task Manager even then. I started Studio and the Resorce Error was still there.

Gus

• Try disabling McAfee entirely (just remember to turn it back on before going back online).

Sorry for the late reply, but How do you disable Mcaffee entirely?  It starts automaticaly when I boot the system.  I turned off what I could find in the interface.  I could try uninstalling but, that seems drastic to me.

Gus

• That I'm afraid I don't know.

• In Task Manager, select the process you want to stop temporarily, and click on the button labeled "End Process".