HELP!

TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I just bought a few items and now the email says I MUST use this install manager, I THINK i got in put in but no clue on how to use it. Why even HAVE an install manager.....I prefer the old system where ya click and download, like Renderosity has. So someone please give me a hand before I lose 30 dollars with of stuff here.

And STOP changing the website, Daz!

Comments

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

You don't have to use the DIM, but it is helpful with updates and knowing what is or is not installed.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

But where do I do the actual download for what I bought? I can't seem to find it now.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

At the top of the page : My account -> Product Library, you can sort the list by purchase date.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

you can also do a search... it's sooo much nicer than it was...

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Select Purchase Date twice to get the latest products.

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

Are we going to be able to filter out the Mac files again, or is that feature gone for good?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited April 2013

Sarsifus said:
    Are we going to be able to filter out the Mac files again, or is that feature gone for good?

As Daz is doing away with separate PC exe and Mac zips and doing now zips that work for all, we don't need a filter anymore.
    Information here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/products/product-library-downloader

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited April 2013

Kerya said:
    Sarsifus said:

As Daz is doing away with separate PC exe and Mac zips and doing now zips that work for all, we don't need a filter anymore.
    Information here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/products/product-library-downloader

I think it's great that DAZ is finally dropping the installers, and I know that the older content (5+ years, it seems) is gradually being converted over to ZIPs, but the newer content and content updates are still being provided as installers. I've just spent the last several days updating my content library, so I know this is being done. If the intent is to eventually have everything available only as ZIPs, then why not make the new content and content updates available as ZIPs also, and skip the bother of creating the installer versions?

Post edited by Morpheon on
    edited December 1969

Ehm ... usually they are there - or should be.
    As far as I know the items from new ones back to V3 should be converted.
    Exemptions being Shaders, Plugins and Software.
    If you look at the download in the new Product library:
    At the moment there are zips declared as DIM (those are the new one size fits PC and Mac zips and you don't need DIM), PC exes and Mac Zips

• willowfanwillowfan Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Just looked through several recent purchases and they are all available as .exe installers, Mac zips and DIM zips from the Product Library page.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Ehm ... usually they are there - or should be.
    As far as I know the items from new ones back to V3 should be converted.
    Exemptions being Shaders, Plugins and Software.
    If you look at the download in the new Product library:
    At the moment there are zips declared as DIM (those are the new one size fits PC and Mac zips and you don't need DIM), PC exes and Mac Zips

Actually, the files ARE available as both a ZIP and an installer -- I guess I was confused in that, traditionally, the ZIP files were Mac files, which is why I wondered about the ability to filter them out. I wasn't aware that they worked for PC as well. Sorry for the confusion.

edited December 1969

Only those where you see a green "DIM" in front ...

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

I have no intention of using DIM, so I wouldn't mind the ability to filter those out, as well.

edited April 2013

Sarsifus said:
    Kerya said:

I have no intention of using DIM, so I wouldn't mind the ability to filter those out, as well.

The ones marked DIM are the zip files (the other zip files are the Mac files).

Using the DIM is just an automated method of downloading and installing the new zips .

Post edited by willowfan on
    edited December 1969

I just wished they had used the word "NEW" instead of DIM ... it would make for less confusion.

edited December 1969

Agreed. Calling them DIM files on the Product Download page is counter intuitive.

edited December 1969

Man, I was kinda worried there for a moment, but it looks like a DIM file is only a ZIP with a manifest document in it. While the ability to do batch installs is intriguing, I won't be using DIM, so it's nice to know that the content can still be installed in a traditional manner.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited April 2013

Kerya said:
    I just wished they had used the word "NEW" instead of DIM ... it would make for less confusion.
    I just wished they had developed an automatic installer that was compatable for all the programs this sites supports, gives you the option for selecting those programs, and actually installed the files IN those locations used by the programs....in other words: an installer that WORKS!!

Recently, I got PoserPro 2012. I didn't want to import the Runtime from my old Poser--it's a mess due to years of accumulation of items that are good only for non-commercial use mixed in among the stuff that's useable in commercial works. What I did like with DIM was that they've begun to catagorize items--much like I've been doing with my stuff to keep the Mega-Gig-sized folder from crashing Poser, but the arrangements are significantly different from my way of doing it. I figured it's much easier to restart with a new, slicked out folder using their catagory scheme than to resort all my crap to match theirs.

Taking that opportunity, I also wanted to do a clean sort of the D|S runtime folder, for the same reason. So I set up the new install locations, clear out D|S, reload the D|S & PoserPro as clean loads and got busy with DIM.

One thing I noticed was DIM seems to be desiged to cater only to D|S--there is a checkbox for loading into P9/PoserPro, but no options for pointing the installer to the Poser runtime--it only gives the option for the D|S runtime folder. "Fine," I sigh. After DIM was finished, however, somehow everything showed up in my PoserPro runtime, absolutely nothing in the D|S folder! "WTF?" Wierd, but PoserPro works fine now....

.....Then I discovered an interesting feature; I recently got a morph for the DAZ Horse 2. "Great!" I thought. But when I installed, I saw it was a D|S-only morph--PoserPro can't see it. "Okay, I'll just use D|S"--so I start it up, found the Horse 2 in the list, go to load it....only no horse!! there's some corruption of the install that I'm only getting some boxed-bodyparts figure of the horse..."WTFW?!?!?!?" :gulp:

I think DIM is using quantum-computing for the install--our files are in a state of both there AND not-there for Poser & D|S--until you actually look! Then, the cat dies or lives depending on the observed state of the other program..... :shut:

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    The Word DIM is used to serve a Triple purpose. It shows that the file is a standard Zip and if you use the DIM it will auto install if you use that feature of DIM and lastly if a Item does not show DIM it must be DL'ed and installed in the old way. You will notice no Plugins have a DIM icon.
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Ryuu, the checkboxes you mentioned are for filtering to show only the DIM files you need for the programs you use. They have no bearing on where things will be installed, to control that go to the Installation tab and use the + button to add new locations. When installing be sure the 'Install to where?' pane is expanded and you will have a button to chose the new locations you added.