Install Manager Question

edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello. I just purchased a new PC specifically so I could run Daz Studio 4.5. So, I needed to reinstall all the Daz items I purchased over the years onto my new PC. I was able to do so for most of the items using Install Manager (IM.) However, for those items not available on IM yet, I had to log onto the Daz website and reset my downloads. But those items installed are not being read by the DAZ 4.5 program. Daz cannot locate them, even though I had them downloaded to the same directory as the files that were downloaded using IM. The only way to access these files is to use the “Import” feature from the file menu, which I do not like doing. I also noticed that items installed with IM are each accompanied by a corresponding “Daz shared configuration file” which is a small bluish gray icon with the letter “D” in it. When I reset my downloads online to install manually without using IM, these “shared configuration” files are missing. What is the reason for this and what can I do to get the program to locate my files that were installed without using IM? Are these missing “shared configuration” files what is preventing Daz from finding content not installed using IM?

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited April 2013

It looks to me like you are installing to two different places.

By default, the DIM installs to a completely new loacation, C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library, and the EXE installers (Bitrock) install to the My Library folder in Documents. You should either merge the two, or point DAZ Studio to the correct place in Edit > Preferences > Content Library.

If you don't agree that you have two different installs, can you please post a screenshot of your main DS content folder, as the files may not be installed properly.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • edited December 1969

Here's the screenshot. Also, what does "Install Failed" mean? I just used Install Manager to uninstall and reinstall 512 items and every single one of them said "Install Failed" after it was finished.

Capture_4.PNG
    522 x 592 - 55K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Your Content Manager looks correct to me, the top one, My Library, is where the manual installers install to, and the second one, My DAZ 3D Library, is where the DIM puts it's content into.

I have never seen 'Install Failed when using the DIM. Did you download the itmes using the DIM? Do you have 'Install After Download' ticked on the Ready to Download tab? Do you have anything in the Ready to Install tab, or in the Installed tab? You should have a figure in a green box on each of the tabs.

It would be better if you could post a screenshjot of each of the three tabs so that I can see what is going on.

• edited December 1969

I have never seen 'Install Failed when using the DIM. Did you download the
    itmes using the DIM?

Yes.

Do you have 'Install After Download' ticked on the
    Ready to Download tab?

Yes.

Do you have anything in the Ready to Install tab, or
    in the Installed tab?

Yes.

You should have a figure in a green box on each of the
    tabs.

yes. 0 161 and 365. Screenshots attached.

Capture_11.PNG
    1577 x 719 - 12K
    Capture_12.PNG
    1588 x 741 - 64K
  • edited December 1969

Anyway, back to my original problem. Which is anything I install the old way (without using IM) cannot be read by the Daz program. Everyone has been telling me it has to do with my Content Directory Manager but even when I do what they say I still have the same problem. Would it possible for somebody to CALL me to walk me through this over the phone. I don't think this can be resolved by e-mail or forum posts. Or I could call you. Or better yet does anybody out there live in the downstate New York area (Nassau, Suffolk or NYC) and is willing to come to my house and SHOW what I'm doing wrong???

Scott

• edited December 1969

Now I have even more problems. See screenshot. What does THIS mean? Even after IM clearly installed a product, why do I keep getting all these triangle icons with exclamation points in them stating that the file cannot be located? HOW can it not be located??? IM just installed it!

Capture_13.PNG
    507 x 487 - 32K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited April 2013

Studio needs to have the install path from DIM set in the Content Directory Manager for DAZ Studio Formats and Poser Formats.

Edit: Open the Content Library tab (Window / Panes (Tabs) / Content Library if you don't have one), if you can see your content here you may need to use the Content DB Maintenance options to clean up and re-import metadata.

Second Edit: With any of the older *.exe installers (frankly any installer) never assume the default install path is correct.. How you choose to pick your own install path will be different depending on the age of the installer. If you are trying to manually extract the files and folders from DIM zip be aware that there is a unnecessary 'Content' folder. Extract the files and folders inside the 'Content' folder.

It may help if you just grabbed any older *.exe and walked us through the steps you are taking.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • Hello everyone 

i have some problems with my installation with daz install manager, i have tried to do what the manager says but it dosen`t help. Ihave got the message and it isn`t just that file all together i have with 8 files problems can someone pleas help me?

• Install Manager cannot find a required path. The package for "Photoshop 3D Bridge for DAZ Studio 4.9+ (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "Photoshop CC, CS6, CS5, CS4 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again.