Super Stupid Question regarding Freebies

SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
edited December 1969 in Freebies

Hi all, quick question. I've never released freebies so I'm a little unsure of what needs to go in the folder..

I'm only releasing the first dress I ever made for now but anywho...

I've used other people's folder set-ups as a guide but I can't figure out whether I need a "data" folder.

I have my .duf dress files in My Library>People>Genesis>Clothing>mystuff, etc, etc with a Material presets folder that links to the Runtime/Textures/mystuff, etc which all works fine and proper in Daz Studio.

What else do I need to do? Will the blue .duf work in Daz Studio 4 or are they 4.5 only?

I also have the Renderosity ReadMe generator and I used a ReadMe from a ShareCg folder I had downloaded as a guide.

How do I generate the list of everything contained in the folder? And do I have to?

Sorry for all the questions! And thank you!!

:)

Comments

• edited December 1969

Which sharecg folder did you download as a guide?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I've used other people's folder set-ups as a guide but I can't figure out whether I need a "data" folder. My library/data
    If it has a DATA folder, whatever you're downloading probably won't work if you don't install it.

What else do I need to do? Will the blue .duf work in Daz Studio 4 or are they 4.5 only?4.5+ only.

How do I generate the list of everything contained in the folder? And do I have to?If you're only sharing files, no, I don't think you need to. Just say how to find the file in the Content Libraries. I usually follow the folder tree in the zip file anyway to figure out where everything is.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DUF files will only be readable by DAZ Studio 4.5 or higher. DS4.0 cannot read them.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay first things first .duf is DS4.5 only. DS4.0 can not read the .duf format.

Second all the work for the saved file/s must have been done within the My Library folder at the time of the save.
    That creates the proper relative file paths that start at My Library or whatever a user Named their top content folder.

Third the .duf format only needs the Data for the item. As it only call's the Daz Studio data and not a object file.

So a Free item for DS4.5 will need these folders in the zip file.

The Folder the item will load from. Example...
    My Library>People>Genesis>Clothing>"Your Item Folder and any Sub Folders" and then the sub folders as follow.
    ...............>Data>"Your Item Folder"
    ...............>Runtime>Textures>"Your Item textures Folder"

This is Easier to do than explain. What I do is Copy all the MY FOLDERS from my DS. I then just make my ZIP from them.
    I then Rename the DS folders to My Folder 1 (this breaks the paths) and use the ZIP as a test. If it install's and passes a full test then It will work on any other PC if installed properly.

I hope this helps you.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited April 2013

I always advise creating a folder for just the project, right-click on DAZ Studio Formats in the Content Library pane and adding the folder, putting your textures in its Runtime\Textures folder before applying them, and when saving your assets making sure it iss elected as the base path at the top of the options dialogue. That way you just need to add your readme and zip the whole folder up, it should contain all and only your files.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I have a blank folder which hold a data, People and Runtime/texture folder. I then copy everything from My Library that I created into the blank folder, in the correct folders. Then I add a Read Me and any other info/picture, test everything is correct using a program my son wrote for me and then zip it all up.:-)

• edited December 1969

And I'm gonna say it since nobody else did, but there are usually no stupid questions. It's how you learn.

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

Which sharecg folder did you download as a guide?

It was actually one of Wilmap's ReadMe's :p Hers being the only products I have downloaded recently from ShareCG.

Wilmap's ReadMe seemed nice and easy so I used it as a guide. I was happy that she didn't include the exhaustive list, therefore I won't.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    I have a blank folder which hold a data, People and Runtime/texture folder. I then copy everything from My Library that I created into the blank folder, in the correct folders. Then I add a Read Me and any other info/picture, test everything is correct using a program my son wrote for me and then zip it all up.:-)

Thank you! I actually used one of your ReadMe's as a guide. I hope you don't mind! It was a good template to use...

I'll do the zip test and see how I go. Thank you!

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I've used other people's folder set-ups as a guide but I can't figure out whether I need a "data" folder. My library/data
    If it has a DATA folder, whatever you're downloading probably won't work if you don't install it.

What else do I need to do? Will the blue .duf work in Daz Studio 4 or are they 4.5 only?4.5+ only.

How do I generate the list of everything contained in the folder? And do I have to?If you're only sharing files, no, I don't think you need to. Just say how to find the file in the Content Libraries. I usually follow the folder tree in the zip file anyway to figure out where everything is.

Cool! Thank you! I still can't figure out the purpose of the Data folder if everything seems to be in the People/Genesis/Clothing and Runtime/textures folders...

I never unzip folders. I neer trust it to do the job. I always manually drop the folders where they need to be. o_o

edited December 1969

The data is where Geometry data is kept. Your Models, UVS data and Morph data are all there.

edited December 1969

Let me add this:

IF you import a Cr2 from Poser, any Cr2, the freebies you download as well, and you save it to DUF: DAZ Studio will create that geometry data and put it SOMEWHERE.

However, if you save any imported model like this:

Save As/Support Asset/Scene Asset
    Save As/Support Asset/figure-prop asset

You will see a dialog box.

The information you put into that dialog box will be the names of the folders containing the Geometry data under the DATA folder.

For instance, I load a custom model and save as Figure/Prop Asset

Vendor is wancow
    Producti is custom model
    Item Name is: Stupid Question

I'll find it under: my library/wancow/custom model/Stupid Question/

Save As "Scene Asset" is for any jointed figure that is NOT a Prop with no moving parts and NOT a TriAx Weight Mapped Figure.

edited December 1969

All good, I figured that out when I went lurking in the data folders. Cheers.

I have uploaded it to ShareCG but I need a tester to see if it installs properly!! Would anyone be so kind to see if it works? :o I would highly appreciate it!!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/68779/view/21/DAZ-Studio/VS-Rainbow-Dress-for-Genesis

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I just downloaded this and installed it, and it all seems to work perfectly. I loaded the dress, and changed the textures, and they all work. I alos tried it on some genesis morphs, like S3 and V5, even voluptuous works prefectly.

A very nice clothing set, thank you very much, and well done.

edited December 1969

I just downloaded this and installed it, and it all seems to work perfectly. I loaded the dress, and changed the textures, and they all work. I alos tried it on some genesis morphs, like S3 and V5, even voluptuous works prefectly.

A very nice clothing set, thank you very much, and well done.

Woohoo!! I was worried I might have screwed up somewhere. I was waiting for the "You're an idiot" messages...:p

Cool! At least I know how to do it now. Now I can finish up all my other broken clothing projects and release them.

Thank you! >=D

edited December 1969

I downloaded it, but I can't test it as I don't use DS4.5! Sorry.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:

That's okay! I'm sorry! Do you know how I can make it useable for both?

edited December 1969

Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:

The only way that both DS4 and DS4.5 users can use your items is by saving them as dsf files, and you need DS4 for that. You can't do that in DS4.5 I'm afraid. That's why I still use DS4.

edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:

The only way that both DS4 and DS4.5 users can use your items is by saving them as dsf files, and you need DS4 for that. You can't do that in DS4.5 I'm afraid. That's why I still use DS4.

Bugger! Thank you for the answer.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited April 2013

Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:
    Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:

Bugger! Thank you for the answer. According to Zigraphix over in his post in this thread, there is a way to convert them to DS 4.0 compatibility. Try sending him a PM about it.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
  • 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:

Or export it as a CR2, that's an easy shortcut! :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

wwes said:
    wilmap said:
    Saiyaness said:
    wilmap said:

Or export it as a CR2, that's an easy shortcut! :)

I don't think DS4 can import Poser weight-maps.

edited December 1969

it cannot. But weight maps can be transfered between two TriAx figures.