David 5 Thread

Comments

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

...Goliath?

• dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...Goliath?

And now I know what to name the preset :)
  • dan.shivedan.shive Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

David and Goliath! I, uh, didn't have anything semi-appropriate for David to wear. ...*cough*

davidandgoliath.png
    600 x 800 - 532K
  • MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited December 1969

I thought I'd try him wearing Jepe's Ian Pierre skin:

popup3aa.jpg
    600 x 780 - 328K
  • alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 1969

I would like to know what these vertical ripples are over his rib cage. I don't see them on the promo pics but I have noticed it on other peoples' renders. The ripples are lessened when you add M5 or other body morphs. Lighting can make them less or more obvious as well.

D5_rib_ripples.jpg
    391 x 485 - 120K
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    yay for unrealistic idealized men!

"Unrealistic Idealized" men? No, that's Michael. David is supposed to be alternative to that notion!

My render is a D5 mix.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

alken said:
    I would like to know what these vertical ripples are over his rib cage. I don't see them on the promo pics but I have noticed it on other peoples' renders. The ripples are lessened when you add M5 or other body morphs. Lighting can make them less or more obvious as well.

Well, realistic rib cage on a human will have that, esp if they are fit. I do.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

WOW.. really? Been to the gym much lately? or the beach? Lots of dudes that take care of themselves have bodies like that and even beefier. His face is very realistic. In my own thread I started about this release I stated he looks a bit like the actor that played "Chuck" staring Zac Levi from the NBC show.

• Drew ZantiDrew Zanti Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

RAMWolff said:
    alken said:

I think it's the downward ripple that's odd, I mentioned it on more than one occasion but was pretty much ignored

It's just the way the morph was sculpted and the resulting subdivision by ds, just needed a little smoothing, much like the vertical lines on his calves and back that also need attention

Post edited by Drew Zanti on
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

dan.shive said:
    The head's just the starting point from which to sculpt. For example, let's say someone slapped David 5's head on default Genesis, added hair and a texture, and then went nuts for a bit.

I really like that "Goliath" face ^_^"
  • alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    alken said:

I think it's the downward ripple that's odd, I mentioned it on more than one occasion but was pretty much ignored

It's just the way the morph was sculpted and the resulting subdivision by ds, just needed a little smoothing, much like the vertical lines on his calves and back that also need attention

I hadn't noticed the ripples on his back and legs until you mentioned it. I don't mind it in those areas, but it looks odd on the rib cage.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

Great render TimG. Love those arms!

Technically not a D5 render, but since I don't see a Doomed Poet thread...here are a couple of quick shots of the Doomed Poet outfit and one of the poses (slightly tweaked). Same scene with different lights and camera. Our young Romeo is a mix of D3, M4, Justin, and M5, with Jesse skin (I don't own D5 yet but plan to pick him up within a few days). The girl is more or less S5's head on V5's body, with Joanie skin. Also used Zahir's Palace, Dragon Queen, Our Lady of the Dragons, and Totally Bazaar (shaders used on Dragon Queen dress).

The nighttime render has been slightly postworked in GIMP.

I really like this render Scott. Very nice perspecitve here. =-)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited April 2013

Ptrope said:
    Wow - D5 is one homely dude!

Okay, maybe not "homely," per se, but what the heck is with the male gender of Genesis? It looks like the modelers have looked at nothing but European male fashion models for everything from M5 to Justin, and gone whole hog with D5 - is there any chance of an 'everyman' coming out of DAZ in the foreseeable future? The eye shapes, in particular, are very Eurasian, and his features - indeed, all of the Genesis males - have the same pouty supermodel look that infests the advertising in GQ magazine. They look more like elves than human beings. What's up, DAZ? Have your current modelers never seen a normal human being? It's not just that these figures are 'pretty,' it's that the shapes you're delivering are extremely difficult to drag back to more realistic features - more than likely, most of your users are not equipped to design their own morphs in Zbrush.

I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who looks like a Genesis male ...

This is one of the reasons I created Faceweight..Here is an quick example of it applied to D5. Does a great job at turning supermodels into average Joes and can be applied to any character male or female. I am revamping the morphs for the Daz release next month. Previous Rendo buyers will get the updated files as well.

FW_test.jpg
    1296 x 882 - 503K
    Post edited by Zev0 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    TimG said:

WOW.. really? Been to the gym much lately? or the beach? Lots of dudes that take care of themselves have bodies like that and even beefier. His face is very realistic. In my own thread I started about this release I stated he looks a bit like the actor that played "Chuck" staring Zac Levi from the NBC show.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

alken said:
    RAMWolff said:
    alken said:

I hadn't noticed the ripples on his back and legs until you mentioned it. I don't mind it in those areas, but it looks odd on the rib cage.

Yeah, they look really weird. :shut:

edited December 1969

dan.shive said:
    David and Goliath! I, uh, didn't have anything semi-appropriate for David to wear. ...*cough*

Awesome. I really like that character.
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    alken said:
    RAMWolff said:
    alken said:

Yeah, they look really weird. :shut:
    I was about to buy him when I saw that image. :shut:

I'm clearly going to have to fix the body morph if I buy him, and probably paint out those baked-in wrinkles on the forehead texture; I'm not sure if it's worth it though I'm fond of the overall body shape. It'd be killer for most of my characters without those weird lines. The mad scientist may be willing to experiment on himself, but no extra rib cage muscles thus far. :lol:

Anyone have shots of the head morphs he comes with?

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

...for me... it's a great character!

2013-04-19_Warrior_web.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 713K
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

Got a problem. For some weird reason, when I put PH Rock n Roll on David5 head, and I parent it to it. It disapears. Anyone having a problem like that? Weird...

I wanna use that hair, help pelase?

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    Got a problem. For some weird reason, when I put PH Rock n Roll on David5 head, and I parent it to it. It disapears. Anyone having a problem like that? Weird...

I wanna use that hair, help pelase?

If it's Genesis hair, it should be a "figure" not an "object" so it should be "fit to" the figure in the Parameters Pane like clothing, not parented in the Scene like object hair made for Gen4 or Gen3 figures.
    Hope this helps..
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Everytime I render David in LuxRender, he has some sort of weird cottony looking thing in his right ear. I'm sure it's just some trick of light, but I have done 4 different renders of him in different poses and they all have that same darn thing. No other characters render this way for me in Lux. I'm wondering if the normals inside that ear are reversed? I know it's just Genesis, so everything should be good, but maybe when the morph was created, or the UV's, the faces got flipped? See this close-up pic to see what I mean.

david_face_by_brischloss-d628fe7.png
    450 x 600 - 401K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Everytime I render David in LuxRender, he has some sort of weird cottony looking thing in his right ear. I'm sure it's just some trick of light, but I have done 4 different renders of him in different poses and they all have that same darn thing. No other characters render this way for me in Lux. I'm wondering if the normals inside that ear are reversed? I know it's just Genesis, so everything should be good, but maybe when the morph was created, or the UV's, the faces got flipped? See this close-up pic to see what I mean.

OK, that's really strange.
  • Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

Very quick question about textures in the David 5 bundle:

None of the four "characters" in the bundle have "Gen" textures for the M5 bits - correct?

https://www.daz3d.com/dean-for-david-5
    https://www.daz3d.com/neo-for-david-5
    https://www.daz3d.com/sean-for-david-5
    https://www.daz3d.com/gunner-for-david-5

edited December 1969

Martin_C said:

None of the four "characters" in the bundle have "Gen" textures for the M5 bits - correct?

Gunner has 'em. The other guys are friends of Ken.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Martin_C said:

*laughs*

I chose to buy David 5 base plus Gunner as far as characters are concerned. I can accept "Ken" characters for toon characters (like 3DU's), but not in this case.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    Slosh said:
    Martin_C said:

*laughs*

I chose to buy David 5 base plus Gunner as far as characters are concerned. I can accept "Ken" characters for toon characters (like 3DU's), but not in this case.

I completely agree.

• Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited April 2013

Yep, thanks a lot for your quick answer and this is exactly what I feared from the descriptions.

And since Gunner is in the Pro Bundle but not in the Starter Bundle, I will - for the first time ever - only buy the Base model, plus the very few bits that I really want, or rather need. Which means that I will probably even skip Gunner for now...

I always considered the bundles and suites as potential resources for future use, if it contains enough items that look interesting, I use the reduced price and buy the "potential" of it.

But in this case I'm afraid that it is probably the most disappointing bundle ever (to me personally). I have enough "complete" skin textures already, and enough shape morphs to mix and match, so that I don't really need 3 more with restricted usage. And I don't really like the new wigs and only vaguely like the Royal Punk and Men's Night Life clothes. And I don't really need Gunner right now...

If the 4 characters were "complete", I'd probably buy the Pro package again - the $48 on top of Base (incl. PC) minus the latest $10 coupon plus some cloths and some so-so wigs would justify it for me. But this way... and once I start having second thoughts about the whole lot, I come to the conclusion that I actually need none of all this - except for the new David Base shape (that *does* look great and is worth the $15 without any doubt).

Post edited by Martin_C on
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

Here is a Luxrender (via Reality) of David showing the right ear with the normal maps in use. I didn't have a problem with the right ear that slosh had but I did end up with a couple of black hair lines on the forehead ( I thought they were on my monitor at first). I agree with folks why can't PA artists include the gens textures in their products... I guess if you add some pubic hair to cover seams/sharp texture changes you could find an M5 or M4 gens texture that comes close.

david_right_ear.jpg
    723 x 882 - 434K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I agree with folks why can't PA artists include the gens textures in their products... I guess if you add some pubic hair to cover seams/sharp texture changes you could find an M5 or M4 gens texture that comes close.

I think the big change comes from the how you texture them which is different from gen4... with geografting, you really need a tool that can projection paint textures across seams, which the cheapest would be in the upcoming new version of 3D coat (currently in beta)... and that's about $350. Otherwise you're dropping $700 for zbrush or over $1000 for C4D. Which is pretty steep from being able to texture the gens separately in photoshop.. not everyone has that much money to spend just to texture a penis.

(There's another program that's available, but really that's on its last legs and is very temperamental in the newer OS's)

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

I think he is on the way to become my favourite male character...

Title: Writer

2013-04-21_Writer_web.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 487K