Mimic Pro Carrara

SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I own Mimic Pro Carrara but in my Product Library it says that I also own Mimic Pro. Are they one and the same thing? I thought I might get the standalone version of Mimic Pro as well in the sale but the DAZ shop says I've already purchased it as part of Mimic Pro Carrara.

At the end of 'Mimic Pro Carrara' in my Product Library it states that, "This product is a bundle that contains the following product..." and shows Mimic Pro. Is this correct?

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    I own Mimic Pro Carrara but in my Product Library it says that I also own Mimic Pro. Are they one and the same thing? I thought I might get the standalone version of Mimic Pro as well in the sale but the DAZ shop says I've already purchased it as part of Mimic Pro Carrara.

At the end of 'Mimic Pro Carrara' in my Product Library it states that, "This product is a bundle that contains the following product..." and shows Mimic Pro. Is this correct?

I have both - they are not the same .
    one works with DS - the other works with Carrara ( as a plug-in ).

• SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    Superdog said:

But why does it say that I've already bought Mimic Pro in the DAZ Shop and my Product Library says that it's bundled with the Carrara version? I don't want to end up buying it twice if it comes with the Carrara plugin.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    bigh said:
    Superdog said:

But why does it say that I've already bought Mimic Pro in the DAZ Shop and my Product Library says that it's bundled with the Carrara version? I don't want to end up buying it twice if it comes with the Carrara plugin.

got me .
    sorry can't be more help .

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209
    edited December 1969

I just noticed that too... and it says right there that it comes with the copy of Mimic Pro for Carrara that you've purchased.
    If you're on a 64 bit Windows, go into Program Files > DAZ 3D and create a new folder: Mimic Pro and extract the zip contents to that location. From there, right-click the Mimic.exe file and select "Create shortcut" or "Pin To Start"... something that allows you to access it without having to go into that folder, and you'll now have a working copy of Mimic 3 Pro, that works as a stand-alone app, and makes PZ2 (poser pose files) that you can add to any character with a click inside Carrara, D|S, or Poser.

edited December 1969

I just noticed that too... and it says right there that it comes with the copy of Mimic Pro for Carrara that you've purchased.
    If you're on a 64 bit Windows, go into Program Files > DAZ 3D and create a new folder: Mimic Pro and extract the zip contents to that location. From there, right-click the Mimic.exe file and select "Create shortcut" or "Pin To Start"... something that allows you to access it without having to go into that folder, and you'll now have a working copy of Mimic 3 Pro, that works as a stand-alone app, and makes PZ2 (poser pose files) that you can add to any character with a click inside Carrara, D|S, or Poser.

When you say extract a zip file which one do you mean? I've attached a screen grab of 'Mimic Pro for Carrara' in my Product Library. I downloaded the x64 .exe file and installed that when I first bought it awhile ago. I only have a serial for the Carrara plugin.

Mimic_Pro.jpg
    664 x 1110 - 128K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mimic Pro standalone is the only program that can create .dmc files. This may have been DAZ's way to rectify the Carrara plugin not being able to export .dmc profile for your figures.

That said, you don't actually need a .dmc in Carrara since everything can be done inside Carrara with all Carrara's controls, possibly even better than the .dmc, but it's a lot of effort to transfer that info to a new scene or a different character...

edited December 1969

Mimic Pro standalone is the only program that can create .dmc files. This may have been DAZ's way to rectify the Carrara plugin not being able to export .dmc profile for your figures.

That said, you don't actually need a .dmc in Carrara since everything can be done inside Carrara with all Carrara's controls, possibly even better than the .dmc, but it's a lot of effort to transfer that info to a new scene or a different character...

I'm not sure though if the Mimic Pro standalone is included with the Carrara version because the only zip files are for MAC (see image I attached.) How do I install the stand alone version of Mimic Pro? The reason I want to use it is because I don't always use Carrara and I'd like to use it with animations I create in DAZ.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI,..

Which zip file you download depends on your operating system, Mac or PC,... and whether it's 32 or 64bit.
    (64 bit can potentially run both 64 and 32 bit apps)

If you download and extract Mimic Pro (not the carrara plugin version)

Mimic Pro, is a "stand alone" application, so you can create a folder, extract the files from the zip,. and then run mimic.

load your figure, add your audio file and text, then export the results as a Poser PZ2 (animated pose file) which can be loaded onto a figure in Carrara.

if Mimic Pro (stand alone) asks for a serial number,... contact Daz3D.

it may well function based on the Carrara plugin serial.

NOTE: You can currently create the exact same lip-sync,. in carrara, if you're using the Mimic for Carrara plugin.
    Plus,. the advantage of the Carrara Mimic version is that you can create your own models within carrara,. and add lip-sync to those.

hope it helps :)

edited April 2013

Your image shows both MAC and WIN 32, and WIN 64 versions.

those appear to be EXE (installer files)

You can use the Mimic for Carrara plugin to add lipsync to any Daz (mimic compatible) figure.

you can create DMC files using Mimic pro (stand alone) for daz figures which don't have DMC files (Daz Mimic Configuration) files.

You do not "Need" the stand alone version to add lipsync to any Daz figures in Carrara.,.. that's what the Mimic for carrara plugin does.

You also don't need this for Daz Studio,..
    Daz Studio has Mimic Live,... built into it.

hope it helps :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
    edited December 1969

Your image is also showing what you see when you select "Carrara Pro for Carrara"
    What we were taliking about is the selection just above that in the list called: Mimic Pro
    When selected, it says that you have this product available because of your Mimic Pro for Carrara purchase
    The only options for download there are a zip file or the user's manual.
    I've already downloaded and printed the manual - well I suppose not for the stand alone... I'll get that one too.

On a hunch of curiosity, I downloaded the zip. ure enough. It contains the actual stand alone program. But no installer for it.
    I don't care... it's like a huge freebie. Once you open Mimic Pro Stand alone and use it to make some lip sync pose files... you'll agree that this is a huge value! I love the Carrara plugin, and plan most of my Mimic work in there. But stand alone is focussed on the face, and just the mimic stuff. So you can really see what's going on.

edited December 1969

Eureka! My apologies but I was looking at the Carrara version but when I looked at the 'Mimic Pro' version in my Product Library I found the zip file your referred to and followed your instructions. I now have Mimic Pro installed! Thanks for all your help.

In case anyone else is wondering 'Mimic Pro' is included when you buy the 'Mimic Pro Carrara' plugin so there's no need to buy Mimic Pro as well.

edited December 1969

Superdog said:
    Eureka! My apologies but I was looking at the Carrara version but when I looked at the 'Mimic Pro' version in my Product Library I found the zip file your referred to and followed your instructions. I now have Mimic Pro installed! Thanks for all your help.

In case anyone else is wondering 'Mimic Pro' is included when you buy the 'Mimic Pro Carrara' plugin so there's no need to buy Mimic Pro as well.

...and it's well worth double the price it costs in the store. It's really the best there is. IMHO
    But, of course... I've not tried them all.
    edited December 1969

HI :)

I've just checked my own account, and when i download the Mimic Pro Win 64 and run it,.. it starts to install "Mimic for Carrara"

so,. it could be that this is currently showing all file versions of the product right now,..
    the EXE (installer files)
    and the new ZIP files (for use with DIM) ......but not quite yet...

edited December 1969

Try looking in the product just above the Mimic Pro for Carrara product link. The one called Mimic Pro

Here's my first Mimic test within Carrara - but I made this before 3dage taught me that there's a pdf manual with the instructions. So I didn't really know how to use it yet and I did it wrong! lol
    It still worked though!
    Mimic Pro fro Carrara test on Rosie
    I married a really hot chick, didn't I?
    P.S.
    No... she knows I don't mean any disrespect when I call her a chick. I also call her my Dame... and she likes that, too. There are other words that some men use regarding their wives that I would never use about Rosie. She's my true hero!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI :)

I've just checked my own account, and when i download the Mimic Pro Win 64 and run it,.. it starts to install "Mimic for Carrara"

so,. it could be that this is currently showing all file versions of the product right now,..
    the EXE (installer files)
    and the new ZIP files (for use with DIM) ......but not quite yet...

In my product Library when I do a search for 'Mimic' it shows 'Mimic Pro' as well as the Cararra version. The zip file is downloadable from the 'Mimic Pro' version.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Old thread.

I purchased Mimic Pro ages ago which is now listed as Inactive. I do have the Mimic Pro for Carrara (I think I bought it as well).

My questions are this. Before if you wanted to create your own .dmc files you needed to use Mimic Pro stand alone. Does the Mimic Pro for Carrara now do all of that and a bag of cheetos?

While I own it already, does it come with Carrara 8.5 Pro or do people still need to purchase it. I ask because when I search just for mimic in the store it comes up with lite and DS version. I have to type in Mimic Pro in the search to find it for Carrara. That and the Carrara version is twice what the DS version is in cost.

edited December 1969

Go into the "Help" folder in Carrara (or the Help menu) and fire up the excellent document that comes with Mimic Pro for Carrara. It does not come free with Carrara 8.5, btw. But there is an updated version of it for 8.5 and up, I believe.

I don't think that the Carrara version makes DMC files, which I think might be why they've given us Mimic Pro along with the Carrara version - but you need to find that separately in your product library. In Carrara, you load in the DMC, but then you individualize characters by editing NLA Pose files. Then you simply save those with the character (they just remain in the Clips Tab, unless deleted). This makes it supre fast and simple to give different characters individual characteristics of how they talk, and how their expressive reactions differ from the others - all of which can be changed on the individual. Really cool.

The thing is, I still think that the stand alone is also essential. I'm glad to have it. I'll still be using the Carrara version in Carrara, but the stand alone is cool for making generic mimic poses, DMC files, and actually just working alone in Mimic is really cool.

The Mimic Pro for Carrara pdf (from the Help menu) is pretty much a must read, though ;)

edited December 1969

Oddly I don't get a stand alone file in my account downloads for Mimic Pro Carrara.

I attached what I see. I still have the Mimic Pro 3.1 (now inactive however). Is that what you are seeing in your downloads?

mimic_carrara1.jpg
    749 x 671 - 65K
    edited December 1969

Yes, I think they found it easier to just give us Mimic Pro to create the DMC.... Although I have created the poses and connected the phonemes for my own figures (that is to say figures that didn't have a prepared DMC) in Carrara. It wasn't difficult, but since it is based on NLA it doesn't export to another figure at all... A lot of times you can start with a generic DMC like the one for V3..., and even though Mimic has a ton of phonemes, you really only need a handful. Sometimes it's less distracting to have the mouth move "anime style" rather than dancing a jig with articulate mouth shapes... The "L" is always a little strange looking... And I ALWAYS turn off blinks, eyes, eyebrows, and neck movement because these are things better suited for NLA tracks and Pupeteer.... Just make your own "blink" animated NLA and drag them where it seems natural. Head tilts and slight nods are very fast to keyframe too and should fall along your sentence structure -- new sentence, consider a slight head reposition, SLIGHT being the operative word. Mimic tends to make the "gestures" really big and robotic and totally distracting...

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    Oddly I don't get a stand alone file in my account downloads for Mimic Pro Carrara.

I attached what I see. I still have the Mimic Pro 3.1 (now inactive however). Is that what you are seeing in your downloads?

Oh! :ohh: Hmmmm.

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Indeed Hmmm... :)

I can still download in the inactive but not sure if thats the latest or right version of the stand alone. You guys see the pro in your Mimic Pro Carrara download area?

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:
    -_Milo_- said:

Indeed Hmmm... :)

I can still download in the inactive but not sure if thats the latest or right version of the stand alone. You guys see the pro in your Mimic Pro Carrara download area?I think the "inactive" part is due to the following:

"This product does not currently support Genesis."

edited December 1969

That could be it then. The inactive one has version 3.1.0.7

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Weird. I don't see it now. It wasn't with the Mimic Pro for Carrara, it was by itself - but now I don't see it. I wonder if it was a glitch that wasn't supposed to happen? I know that all of us got it, at one point, those of us who bought Mimic Pro for Carrara - we were talking about it here a while back. It didn't even include an installer - so you had to make a Program folder and unzip to that. Odd.
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Weird. I don't see it now. It wasn't with the Mimic Pro for Carrara, it was by itself - but now I don't see it. I wonder if it was a glitch that wasn't supposed to happen? I know that all of us got it, at one point, those of us who bought Mimic Pro for Carrara - we were talking about it here a while back. It didn't even include an installer - so you had to make a Program folder and unzip to that. Odd.

THat is considering Mimic Pro for Carrara is retailing at 100 now and the ds one is at 50. No stand alone Pro one in the store. How do people create DMC files now I wonder since you cant even buy Pro stand alone. If they say buy the DS version etc I may scream.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

text editor?
    painful but possible

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

Great discussion. I have been using Mimic Pro in DAZ Studio, but I find when I import the DAZfile into Carrara 8.5 the lip sync is distorted.

Do you have to use the Mimic for Carrara Plug In or has anyone else had this problem?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

I used the Mimic pro stand alone prog for Poser with Carrara 6pro and know it works with C8.5pro because I need to use it for some Text to speech voices as the Carrara plugin does not recognize them as useable soundfiles.
    but
    what I do do is export an animated pz2 pose to use.
    I do not know if the Daz studio plugin version does this as I do not have it. I guess it saves dsf files.
    It works on Genesis and Genesis2 saved from a DSON import from PP12 too and that pz2 works in Carrara and studio too and the imported .duf scene works.
    which figures are you using is the first question.
    Does Mimic pro DS plugin export pz2?
    are you opening a .duf scene or applying a pose?

edited December 2013

Thanks I'll experiment with Mimic Pro some more.

I was using the pz2 from Mimic Pro stand alone applied to Millennium Dragon in DAZ Studio and then open the. DUF scene in Carrara 8.5. The lip sync looks great in DAZ Studio but the mouth stays closed in Carrara. Applying the pose in Carrara sounds like it might work better.

Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the helpful information. After some more experimentation I found that Genesis lip sync from DAZ Studio transfer to Carrara 8.5 very easily. It works the way you would expect by just opening the .duf file in Carrara.

I also discovered what my problem with using this technique with what Millennium Dragon 2 is doing. It seems to transfer all the head Phonemes correctly, its just not importing the jaw "open-close" morphs. Has anyone had any success importing these morphs into Carrara?