Illuminating The DIM Bulb Of Garstor

GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I've been procrastinating this...my bad... Here's a new thread on the DAZ Install Manager (yes Dart, I need to read your posts on this more closely!)

We know DIM won't install Carrara content; but does it at least download the installer file?

I am planning to install DIM on my laptop (NEVERWINTER) and use a removable drive to store the downloads and installed content (G:\DIM Downloads and G:\DIM Content respectively). Has anyone shared out a content folder over a home network? I'd like to access it from the big server (FAERUN) as well as from the laptop.

On FAERUN, I would have a UNC share ("\\NEVERWINTER\2tb\DIM Content") or I could map that UNC to a drive letter. Has anyone ever done something like that?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Can't say about windows, but I've launched and used Carrara remotely on my Mac once as an experiment. This was when I had Carrara 5, and I used an iBook to access Carrara on my main machine and launch it. It was slow, both due to the network connection and the iBook was a bit underpowered. I don't think it saw the browser contents. I'll have to try to see what happens with C7...

As to remotely stored content and files, if the pathways remain intact for referenced textures and the like, I would think it would be as simple as clicking Add Folder in your Browser and navigating to the folder location. Not sure how auto detecting runtimes works on remote servers, but if you were to choose to manually find your runtimes, I would think it would work. Can't hurt to try.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Garstor :)

The (Beta) release of DIM,. doesn't install Applications like Bryce, Hexagon, Carrara,. or content and plugins for those programs,. or content and plug-ins for Photoshop, Vue, and Daz Studio.

it currently only installs the "content" for DS and poser.

BUT,... It's currently being developed to install All of those things,. and install them into the correct locations.

Hold off, for the release of the full version.

as for networking,. that shouldn't be a problem, as long as DIM can see the Zips, and the applications, then it should be able to run and install from an external or internal drive that's accessible by the local network.

:)

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Garstor :)

The (Beta) release of DIM,. doesn't install Applications like Bryce, Hexagon, Carrara,. or content and plugins for those programs,. or content and plug-ins for Photoshop, Vue, and Daz Studio.

it currently only installs the "content" for DS and poser.

BUT,... It's currently being developed to install All of those things,. and install them into the correct locations.

Hold off, for the release of the full version.

as for networking,. that shouldn't be a problem, as long as DIM can see the Zips, and the applications, then it should be able to run and install from an external or internal drive that's accessible by the local network.

:)

Thanks Andy and Evil (hey, that could be a vaudeville act...)

I would hold off until a non-Beta release (heck, I've never looked at Carrara 8.5 yet) but I have a short (too-short!) vacation to Canada next week. I'd like to take the laptop along and might get the 3D Itch...

Next step...planning out the runtime folders. I'm thinking of breaking down the V4/M4 stuff. I'll have a folder for the base models plus any morphs/poses. Then a folder for hair and finally a folder for clothes (currently the clothes are with the base model and its getting pretty messy in there).

I'll let you guys know what happens with the shared runtime folders idea.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Also, Sharing you content over the network will help to eliminate errors caused from a Render Node not finding a texture map.

I must say... Since I've installed a pile of stuff to the new default DIM directory on my Workstation, Carrara will not let me load my main characters without having to dig up a pile of texture locations. It's so annoying. One of the vehicles I loaded had a Lorenzo Lorez inside, and Carrara had me locate one map from the sky car, then one for lorenzo, then one for the sky car, then one from Lorenzo... the file had five sky cars and five Lorenzos. It gave me such a headache.

I'm going to try using DIM to uninstall all of that to see if it fixes anything, unless I can (hopefully) find a new solution.

edited December 1969

Also, Sharing you content over the network will help to eliminate errors caused from a Render Node not finding a texture map.

I really must try network rendering in both Carrara and LightWave one day...

I must say... Since I've installed a pile of stuff to the new default DIM directory on my Workstation, Carrara will not let me load my main characters without having to dig up a pile of texture locations. It's so annoying. One of the vehicles I loaded had a Lorenzo Lorez inside, and Carrara had me locate one map from the sky car, then one for lorenzo, then one for the sky car, then one from Lorenzo... the file had five sky cars and five Lorenzos. It gave me such a headache.

Ew! That's about as miserable as the weather around here today. Before you helped explain runtimes to me, I ran into this problem a lot...came close to making me give up on this hobby. Hopefully you sort things out.

edited December 1969

If I end up having to rebuild shaders due to "missing" image maps, I save the multi-domain shaders to my browser after I correct the problem. I will also save the model with the corrected shaders applied to an appropriate folder in my Objects browser. They tend to load faster when saved as .car files anyway.

edited December 1969

Once more into the breech dear friends!

I have DIM chugging away at downloading 557 files. I added all my new runtime folders to the "G:\DIM Content" directory. So once everything is downloaded, I should be able to point the installs to the appropriate folders.

The UNC paths to the external drive have been persisted on the big server (drives X: Y: and Z: of course! :) ). Hopefully Carrara on the server won't have a problem getting to the external content...time will tell.

I guess I'll watch a movie while DIM chews away at those downloads.

edited December 1969

Pretty fast compared to the older way, isn't it? I really like the new Products Available tab in my account at Daz now. That alone is nearly as cool as the DIM itself!

Now. When you go to install stuff, just relax and set the products to the proper runtime and all should go perfectly. Supposedly, the DIM remembers where evrything is installed, so all updates to products should be installed to the appropriate spot that it was allocated. Being a beta, I'd still double check.

So you download all without installing eh? I went the other way and just had it install as I downloaded. I was amazed at the speed of it all compared to the usual installers. DIM will have many things installed before a single installer would open the other way. I guess when it comes down to it... I don't mind either option. It always felt like opening a present when I got to install new goods... so the time didn't really bother me - unless I was starting over with everything! lol

edited December 1969

So you download all without installing eh?

Yes. How else would DIM know where to install to? How does it know that Boudoir Whispers belongs in the "V4_Clothes" runtime as opposed to the "Dragons" runtime? I have to direct all the installs to the appropriate runtimes. So I'm downloading everything first.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, I download first and then install in batches to the appropriate content folders.

For me, at least, updates are correctly installing to the folder the item was previously installed to, even if the current selection is different.

edited December 1969

Yes, I download first and then install in batches to the appropriate content folders.

For me, at least, updates are correctly installing to the folder the item was previously installed to, even if the current selection is different.

Good to hear that I haven't done it completely wrong! :P As soon as the caffeine hits my bloodstream, I'll head downstairs to check it out; everything should be downloaded by now.

I told it to get most D|S stuff as well as Poser stuff. I don't use D|S at all; but it was often a pain before to decipher the filename to figure out if it was Poser or D|S. More than once, I have bought D|S only stuff.

edited December 1969

So far, so good I think! I am liking DIM quite a bit and I can hardly wait for it to be enhanced to handle Carrara stuff.

Right now, my only request would be for a "hide" feature on the list of installable products. You can delete the installer when you are done; but I prefer to keep everything around -- I just want to hide the D|S only stuff.

This is also forcing me to re-think my runtime folder structure. I now have a "Sci-Fi" and a "Fantasy" folder -- but that is clearly too vague in this hobby...I want to break that down a bit further.

I'll update once I have tried sharing the new runtimes with the main server.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    So you download all without installing eh?

Yes. How else would DIM know where to install to? How does it know that Boudoir Whispers belongs in the "V4_Clothes" runtime as opposed to the "Dragons" runtime? I have to direct all the installs to the appropriate runtimes. So I'm downloading everything first.Quite simply, young man! :)
    We simply select all of the V4 Clothing products and press the Start Queue button ;-)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You can right-click on an item to select items tagged for Poser, then invert selection to get the DS-only items, and Hide all selected.

edited December 1969

You can right-click on an item to select items tagged for Poser, then invert selection to get the DS-only items, and Hide all selected.
    And this works across all items selected at the time?
    edited December 1969

Sa-weeeeeet! I owe you a beer...or a ginger ale...or water...whatever your preferred libation may be.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Sa-weeeeeet! I owe you a beer...or a ginger ale...or water...whatever your preferred libation may be.

I may have typed too soon! :lol: I do not see the Hide All option. Perhaps I need to brew some more coffee...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Sa-weeeeeet! I owe you a beer...or a ginger ale...or water...whatever your preferred libation may be.I think I recall Mike liking good single malt scotch. Oh wait... that's me!

edited April 2013

Garstor said:

I think I recall Mike liking good single malt scotch. Oh wait... that's me!

I like a good double scoop chocolate malt shakes! ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I Iike good double scoop chocolate malt shakes! ;-)

Ooooo... That sounds good!
    Rosie 'makes' this filtered ice water that I've become incredibly addicted to. It all started when I bought this really nice water filter. It was a hot summer at the time. She gathered together a bunch of recycled plastic water bottles and filtered some water into them until they get about a third full and places them diagonally in the freezer, so the ice travels up the side of the bottle. She adds refrigerated filtered water to that. Oh.... Yum! That's been my beverage of choice for the last two or three years. Even in winter.
    edited December 1969

Me too! :)

"Buildings" is my current hang-up. I now have "Building_Fantasy," "Building_Modern" and "Building_Other" (as a catch-all category). Problem is...the line between fantasy and modern is blurry sometimes.

Ya know...a nice addition to DIM would be "tags" not just for products but also high-level categories (hair, poses, clothes, etc.)

edited December 1969

Rosie 'makes' this filtered ice water...

Two parts hydrogen. One part oxygen. Cover ears. Mix. Enjoy!

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Me too! :)

"Buildings" is my current hang-up. I now have "Building_Fantasy," "Building_Modern" and "Building_Other" (as a catch-all category). Problem is...the line between fantasy and modern is blurry sometimes.

Ya know...a nice addition to DIM would be "tags" not just for products but also high-level categories (hair, poses, clothes, etc.)

Don't forget the ever popular Steampunk!

edited December 1969

Actually steampunk doesn't really get my motor running...

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Actually steampunk doesn't really get my motor running...

Not me either. I've done maybe one or two renders. I tend to get more excited by Lost World, H.G. Wells type imagery which has had some stuff co-opted by the Steampunk fan base. But for hard to categorize buildings, tech, etc. Steampunk takes the prize!

edited December 1969

Not me either. I've done maybe one or two renders. I tend to get more excited by Lost World, H.G. Wells type imagery which has had some stuff co-opted by the Steampunk fan base. But for hard to categorize buildings, tech, etc. Steampunk takes the prize!

I suppose it would be difficult.

I'm looking at the church-like stuff that I have -- Divinity Skies, Cista Sanctus and such -- and trying to figure out if it is "fantasy" or "other."

And darn it all -- I think I just accidentally installed DM's stuff to "other" when it clearly belongs in "fantasy." [sigh]

edited December 1969

I love the steampunk stuff that comes close to, or actually does cross the line into more of the Sci Fi genre.
    Thought I should mention that I think I've just recieved a new DIM notification in my Product Library in my Daz account. It shows as a manual addition in my recent purchases (showing Purchase Date inverted). Yeah... I just spent some more. It was Rosie's fault. She wanted a new game, but was going to feel guilty if I didn't buy something too. So not only did I get that cool chameleon that patience pointed out and the free plinth thingy, but also Orestes Graphics' Flydragon! Excited = me!

I'll have that scotch now... since you're pouring ;-)
    Ahhhh smoooooth! Nope... hold the rocks. I don't like water in my alcohol.

edited December 1969

I'll have that scotch now... since you're pouring ;-)
    Ahhhh smoooooth! Nope... hold the rocks. I don't like water in my alcohol.

And Gars doesn't like water in his state. ;-P
    edited December 1969

If Gars wants to feel right at (contemporary) home, then look at the forum through this filter:
    http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=redneck&url=http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20562/P30/&inside=1

;-P

edited December 1969

Now that's funny!
    LOL
    Okay, nevermind the funky thing going on with the DIM in my Poduct Page thing, mentioned above. It only contains a link to a page that doesn't exist.