I thought I had a philshing email but it wasn't...

estheresther Posts: 608
edited June 2012 in The Commons

I just assumed it was some problem with the new website and clicked the link. I quickly changed my pasword as soon as I realized it was a trick and also I removed my credit card from the account.
I hope they haven't got too many of my details - they have my name and the last 4 digits of my card and the type. Hope that isn't enough to help them with anything.
Love esther

Post edited by esther on

Comments

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

you can see why I fell for it. It looks just like something that really comes from daz, but when you click on the link it doesn't do anything except get my log in details. And it doesn't address me by name which is always the big tip off to philshing things.
    Love esther

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited June 2012

Um, that's not a phishing attack. I received the same e-mail a while ago and sent an e-mail to Kevin about it, and it's legit. Basically my name wasn't appearing under the credits of Visual Style, and they had to change the e-mail that was on their database so that it recognised me, which involved unsubscribing me. When you subscribe to the newsletter again, you get another e-mail saying you've subscribed.

sales @daz3d.com is a legit address. It's where I get my payments from.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Actually, that is from DAZ. It's part of their attempts to fix some issues with the Platinum Club memberships.

You may also see an order for $1 that you didn't place. You are not being charged $1. They are trying to establish memberships correctly under the new store.

More details can be found here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/1556/

edited December 1969

well that is a relief as I thought the email was trying to get into my account. I was certain it was philshing because when I clicked on the link it took me to some funny URL and asked for login that didn't work.
    Actually are you sure that a philshing computer program hasn't just sent the same email to all the members here?
    Love esther

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    well that is a relief as I thought the email was trying to get into my account. I was certain it was philshing because when I clicked on the link it took me to some funny URL and asked for login that didn't work.
    Actually are you sure that a philshing computer program hasn't just sent the same email to all the members here?
    Love esther

Yes, if only because the thread I linked includes (somewhere) a quote from a DAZ rep (given directly to the admins) about the process.

The bad log-in is a strange thing that happens when you've timed out on the forums, and try to access an area that requires you to be logged in. For some reason it takes you to that log-in, rather than the correct one. I get it occasionally when I've been idle for a while and then try to go to the Member's Only forum.

• SassyWenchSassyWench Posts: 602
    edited December 1969

If you log into Daz and go into your account you'll see that you are indeed unsubscribed to the newsletter. Then if you subscribe again you'll get another email saying so. It will look exactly the same as the unsubscribe one.
    As everyone else has said, lots of us got this email last week. No worries. :)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If there's a 'daz3d.com/' in the link, it's legit.

If it's anything else, saying in the latest lame phishing-attempt that I got today, the link to a download (say a zip) was directed to a html-page or an exe.

The rule of thumb is, don't click on any links from your email. Go directly to the site through your browser and work from there. All the major sites does this; banks, Microsoft etc. The exceptions are those times when you forget the password and gets an email immediately after you've sent a request.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

I never click thru to a website from an email. Just absorb the info, copy the coupon code or whatever, and then pop over to the site directly from a bookmark you have made.

edited December 1969

Batman never smirks.

• HellerHeller Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You might want to remove your full name from that image attachment, unless you're comfortable with everyone knowing your secret identity.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Batman never smirks.
    LOL.. It was supposed to be a smiley... but they won't work for me and too small for my eyes anyway.:P
    edited December 1969

Heller,
    I have got a secret identity but I don' think it is in that image is it?
    Love esther

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Esther.

First of all I assure you taht everyone who is telling you that this is a genuine email are correct,
    THe "strange" login is something that appears from time to time on Daz emails, and is a sommething that is left over form the beta site..

However, as has alwaready been said. At the top of the screen shot you have given of the email header it does say "To Esther *******" under the date, which you may prefer to remove.

Also as this email is a genuine one, could you possible edit the t.tile of your thread.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

Tip: if you get an email with a link.

In the email right click the link and copy it.
    Paste it into notepad so you can view the link.
    If it looks 'funny', don't paste it into your browser.

Instead log off the web, run a virus/trojan scan.
    Now go back online, Then log onto the site that claims to have sent it.
    You do this in case the email contains a dropper.

A legit email links from a reliable companys will usually contain top level domains..say like
    yourbank.com/newsletters/
    ...instead of
    washingmachine.com/newsletters
    and won't use services like tinyurl. Plus most will nearly always use your actual name in the mail.

Though as always if theres any doubt, phone the company.

• mrsparkymrsparky Posts: 248
    edited December 1969

Oh, and on the subject of scams, heres a crafty twist to phone ones thats worth avoiding.

Your "bank" will call saying theres a problem, but they won't ask for your security details.
    Instead they'll suggest you call back using the number on your bank statement.

All seems sensible, until you learn that the caller doesn't actually hung up. Instead they just wait, possibly even playing back a dial tone so you think it's safe. Until you "phone" back where a nice member of 'bank' staff is there to help. Of course the only people helping will be the crooks, to your dosh:(

So if you get one of those, hang-up then call another couple of random free numbers. Say like an automated train booking service. Then if a nice little asian voice answers you'll know :)

edited December 1969

that's clever.

• HellerHeller Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    Heller,
    I have got a secret identity but I don' think it is in that image is it?
    Love esther

Esther, look at the image you posted. Upper left corner, From, Subject, Date, To: If that's your real name, you might want to think about painting it out or cropping off the top. Also look back on the first page for Chohole's post regarding the thread title.

edited December 1969

don't worry, that surname is just my pen-name alias.
    Love esther

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks Esther