Painting an object in Hexagon, or alternate program suggestions

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Trying to get a material on an object in hexagon and an artist I am not, anyone have a suggestion on how to get one on there? I have an .obj, but the "unfold" option gives me a blank picture. so I can't paint it that way.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,859
    edited December 1969

Unfold uv maps the model, which is necessary so that applications will know how to wrap an image around it. Once you have it uv mapped you need to create or assign a new, blank image, and paint into that. I don't use Hexagon so I can';t be more precise than that.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

One needs to apply a texture to paint on.

technically.png
    947 x 402 - 39K
  • Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

Geekatplay is a Website that has over 100 Hexagon video tutorials. It shows everything from modeling to UV's to texturing and painting.

Well worth the time to study and review.

http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagontutorials/index0.php

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Since Hex does not render, I usually make shading domians in Hex but export and do shader or texture mapping in other program such as Carrara and/or uvmapper.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

The example above and geekatplay has tutorials and that would be the least expensive. 3d-coat has an excellent painting ability but its not free. There is a personal edition that supports up to 2k maps and the full version.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

The free version of Blacksmith does excellent 3D painting - auto-generates UV maps, but they are atlas, so can't be used as a template for future texture changes. The texture resolution is limited on the free version, but good enough for most uses.

• edited December 1969

Ok, I've tried all these with no success. I've managed to finally start getting an image on the object by randomly creating one, but it is repeating and I don't want it to repeat. Is there some way to stop that?

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Yes there is, where/how depends on the program you are using. It should have a co-ordinate setting (X,Y,Z plus offset in the X,Y,Z) which you adjust; normally to stop/reduce the repeating you need to lower the setting. Which in effect enlarges the texture to fit your object, with the offset controls to position it in the right place. It can get a bit fiddly but practice makes perfect. :)

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Not sure i'm repeating Red's advice in another form:)

In the materials panel, where you set the resolution for the texture. The higher the resolution, the more repeats you get. 256 X 256 gives me a single picture on each side of a cube, 512 X 512 gives me four per side.

There may be a relationship between those settings and the picture you're using as a brush - haven't checked

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Xavior Bat Can you manage to give us some screen shots of your attempts, this is a little like a blind darts match. :coolsmile:

• edited December 1969

Closest I can get for it being even remotely legible is to use Planar UV and that sort of works, except...well as follows

screenshot.png
    1750 x 652 - 183K
    edited April 2013

Closest I can get for it being even remotely legible is to use Planar UV and that sort of works, except...well as follows

That's what I thought you might mean. A few posts up I mentioned about assigning areas to separate Shading Domains. That's why.

The other way would be to check which areas are where on the flattened uvmap. One can make temporary Shading domains to move sections around and then assign them all to one if one is all that is required once the areas are not overlapping.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • edited December 1969

Very Awesome, thanks, this will make things 100 times easier!..Pity my shape is rounded everywhere but eh, its a helmet!

edited December 1969

Very Awesome, thanks, this will make things 100 times easier!..Pity my shape is rounded everywhere but eh, its a helmet!

Yes it'll work better that way.

It can help to think of 'sewing'. We are "3d", our clothing is "3d" ... but the patterns to make the clothing are "2d". Where one puts the seams in RL [real life] translates over to the 2d uvmap for the 3d mesh very nicely.