External Runtimes for DAZ 4

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello.

I know that Poser allows you to set up external runtimes.
Can the same be done in D4 and if so could you please instruct me how to do it?
Thanks.
R

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Hello.

I know that Poser allows you to set up external runtimes.
    Can the same be done in D4 and if so could you please instruct me how to do it?
    Thanks.
    R

Yes, either (1) go to Content Library and right-click on either "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser formats", and choose the option to add a content folder, or (2) Edit > Preferences >Content Library, click on "Content Directory Manager", choose the format, and click the "Add" button.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Mike.
    That works great.
    Another question... when I r-click on Poser formats, I see "Add a runtime directory" and that makes sense as for what I am trying to do.
    When I r-click on DAZ Studio Formats I see "Add a base directory." What is this refering to and do I use it in the same way as with the Poser Formats?

Thanks again.
    Randy

edited December 1969

Yes, for Poser format you give the folder containing Runtime, for DS format the top folder. So the default for both would be "My Library".

edited December 1969

I am confused now... From the point where you talk about Daz.
    I know how to make an external runtime for Poser, but when I direct Daz Studio Formats to it, it appears in that area, but it contains no content that I can use.
    When I put it in Poser Formats the contented is there to use.
    How do I make an external runtime for DAZ?
    Thanks.
    R

edited December 1969

The same way, except you cannot save DS-format items under Runtime, Data, or Readme's. They can be anyplace else under the Base folder.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This method works fine if you set everything up properly. My DS4Pro has two DS Content folders and Three Poser content Folders at this time.

edited December 1969

OK.
    So now if I open an item, such as a hat for V4, and put it in a folder called "Hat V4", would it be recognized by DAZ if I accessed it through DAZ Studio Formats?
    Or would I have to give it some other name?
    Or would the folder I open the hat into need to have some type of format? If so what kind of format?

Thanks again.
    R

edited December 1969

The folder can be called anything you like, as long as it's inside the DS-format content folder but not inside Runtime, Data, or Readme's.

edited December 1969

Sorry to be so dense, Mike.
    Can you give me an example of that, where to find it, perhaps...
    Thanks.
    R

edited December 1969

Okay, the default DS-format content folder is "...Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library". The path up to "My Library" is the base for that content folder. Underneath "My Library" are 3 special folders: Data, Runtime, and ReadMe's. Those 3 folders have to be directly under the base folder, and you cannot put DS-format content in those folders (except under Runtime with a matching Poser-format file) -- if you do, they won't show up. Any other folder underneath "My Library" can hold DS-format content, and it can have any name you like.

For example, let's say I don't like the folder names "Environment" and "Architecture" that are typically used for those kinds of objects. I decide I want to call it "Places". I can make a folder under "My Library" called "Places", and under that I can have subfolders called "Interiors", "Exteriors", etc. Or maybe I'd rather have subfolders called "Stonemason", "Faveral", "ARTCollab". I can name them anything I like.

Or let's say I don't like putting Clothing under "People". I can make a folder called "Clothing" instead. Or "V4 Clothing".

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

Hello. I need to move my existing DAZ database to an external hard dríve, as my PC does not have enough memory. How to do it? I wonder if I can just copy and paste the My Library folder with all the content to the new disc, then set a new path in Content Directory Manager? I am afraid if metedata will work correctly after that and how would CMS react to this. Has any of you any experience with that?

edited December 1969

Hi Mike.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.
    I was experimenting with what you told me. In my mind I think I am missing some steps. So I think I should add some information that might help you to help me.
    I put D4 on my drive F, and I made a file on F to hold the content for D4, and I called it simply Daz Content. So when I install items for D4 I have it go to DAZ Content, like this F/Daz Content. That is almost all there is on drive F. When I installed D4 I instructed to look at F/Daz Content for all its content.
    So now, can I construct another runtime separate from F/Daz Content to hold other items, such as all of V4 cloths. If so, how do I do it?
    I don't use anything on C drive for Daz.
    Thanks.
    R

edited December 1969

Create a new folder, e.g. F:\More Content
    (or just give that path when installing something and it'll be created automatically).
    If it doesn't have a Runtime folder in it, create one.
    In DS4, go to the Content Library tab, right-click on "DAZ Studio Formats", choose to Add a content folder, and give it the path F:\More Content
    Do the same with "Poser Formats".

edited December 1969

Hi Mike.
    I followed your guidance and I think I have something that works...
    Under F drive I constructed a file path called F:\V4 Cloths\Daz 3D\Studio.
    I just installed something into it, and I was able to go to it through D4 and use it.
    Am I on the right track?
    R

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited June 2012

Yes, assuming you put the Poser format V4 clothes inF:\V4 Cloths\Daz 3D\Studio too, and not in F:\V4 Cloths (if you put them in the V4 Clothes folder at all - the point is that you shouldn't have a DS content directory inside a Poser content directory or vice versa).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Richard.
    Yes, I have been able to see the differences in the Poser and Daz runtime folders now.
    I guess I can use the same DAZ folder for multiple items?
    Or do you think it is better, from your experience, to use one Daz runtime folder for one item?
    R

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

I certainly wouldn't put every item in a separate content directory, but most people like to group things between several directories - by figure, by genre, or by some other scheme.