The Fabricator

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What does it do???

I looked for an answer and haven't come across with anyone talking about it

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

It applies repeating patterns, that match various types of fabric, to the selected surfaces - it's a way of changing the fabric that a piece of clothing or prop seems to be made of.

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does it work on any clothes? Like...clothes with textures already on them?

Or does it work better with textre-free outfits you can download for free?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

...either. Even other props like the tent in this pic.

let_the_sun_shine_2.jpg
    884 x 884 - 641K
  • ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

The clothing on my avatar (full picture here: http://ameesa.deviantart.com/gallery/40917766#/art/I-m-shocked-340037029?q=gallery:ameesa/40917766&qo=1&_sid=468972f1) is dressed in Fabricator Silkessence textures. You can use them on any item to make your own look. It's incredibly handy for what is termed "kitbashing". Taking elements of different outfits, and using shaders and shader presets to turn them into a cohesive, original outfit. My avatar is wearing a hat from London Vanity by Prae at Renderosity, the collar is from Alpha Soul not available at the moment, and the dress is here at DAZ Empire Elegance: http://www.daz3d.com/empire-elegance. You just select your item in the scene tab, select which surface of the item you want, in either the surfaces tab, or highlighted, and double click on the fabric you want.

Recently a contest was held for kitbashing, unfortunately no longer stickied, but has many examples of Fabricator and other shaders. Fabricator is a wonderful product to make things more original.

edited December 1969

...A better example is what I did with the Immortal Ronin clothing. The entire set save for the leg and arm bands was redone using The Traditional Japanese styles from Silkessence.

the_kid_2.jpg
    884 x 884 - 504K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

I did this steam punk lady with mixed clothing sets and then used the Fabricator to make it look like one full set of clothing.

Kit_Bash_Hi-02.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

...makes mix & match a lot more fun.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I did this steam punk lady with mixed clothing sets and then used the Fabricator to make it look like one full set of clothing.

Hehe, love that hat paired with the rest.

edited December 1969

Ameesa said:
    Hehe, love that hat paired with the rest.
    A lady always wears a hat. ;-)
  • martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

First a sphere with plane texture. Second, the same texture used with Fabricator.

tej2b.png
    508 x 596 - 655K
    tej0.png
    554 x 860 - 204K
  • MarieahMarieah Posts: 518
    edited April 2013

The other good thing is there are hundreds of freebie tiles for it, all saved in the correct format if you search Fabricator at Share Cg.

As everyone says, it's a 2-click solution for retexturing clothing. First you apply a diffuse pattern, and then you add a "weave" which comprises bump, displacement, gloss and spec settings that can make your chosen fabric render as though it is everything from a chunky knit or canvas to satin, chiffon or organza. (There are dozens of weaves.

Many, many people use it and I have yet to hear a single complaint.

There are two more products that work in the same way: The Lacemaker and MachPack. The former uses displacement and transparency to create different kinds of lace and the latter is packed with masculine-orientated fabrics and textures.

Post edited by Marieah on
    edited December 1969

...so one can create new textures to use with it?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...so one can create new textures to use with it?

Check my ShareCg freebies and you'll find a tutuorial that teaches you exactly how to do just that. You can also grab the free sets other people made using the tutorial.

edited December 1969

....cool, thank you.

edited April 2013

There are a big amount of free presets in sharecg. Also any seamless texture can be used for create new presets.
    I also find this page: http://www.patterncooler.com/editor/
    You can customize color and tilling of differents designs, obtain a plain seamless texture and use in fabricator. It is free for personal renders and limited format

Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

What does it do???

I looked for an answer and haven't come across with anyone talking about it

Going back to your original question about why you don't see anyone talking about it. There have been many discussions about Fabricator and other shaders. I had once even started a thread about fun with shaders. Unfortunately, last year DAZ changed the forums and the discussions are now in the archives. I was trying to track down some of the discussions, but didn't see that the archives still contained renders, and shaders really shine when you can see what people do with them. Here's the link though for the archives, if you ever feel like visiting the spirits of forums past : http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/. Meanwhile, if no one else does it, I might start another Fun with Shaders thread in the Art Studio forum, now that my new PC is fully loaded with my content...somewhat.

The one thing we don't know is if you use Poser, DAZ Studio, or some other program. Please be aware, that shaders and materials are made for specific programs. Shaders made for DAZ Studio, will not work in Poser and vice versa. Not without some tweaking, and sometimes not even then.

I can say with extreme confidence, that the shaders made by Marieah, Khory_D, Fisty, and so many others have been worth the price and more. While I still buy nice texture sets, the main thing I look for nowadays, is how well an outfit can be kitbashed, and how many material zones it has.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OF course this, and other products by the same team, were used quite often in the Kit Bashing COntest which ended just a while ago, so there may be some images in that.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14967/

edited December 1969

Oddly...I've always couldn't really figure out how to use those fabric shaders. Or they look fake when I put them on or something.

So, this Fabricator helps with those free shaders you see all over the place to make them look more real?

edited December 1969

Yes indeed, for the ones with the word "Fabricator" in their name.

The "Weaves" in Fabricator add the 3d effect to make the fabric look real.

The free shaders that mention Fabricator were never intended to be used alone because they contain only diffuse color settings. Look at the Fabricator product page if you want to see how good they can look.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

I've had more fun with The Fabricator than about anything I've purchased for 3D. Dimension Theory's
    Urban Recreation is the other thing I use all the time (it has nothing to do with shaders).

edited December 1969

One tip for you. The item you Fabricate will look much different in the DS viewport than it does when rendered with the 3DeLight render engine. The 4 setting (top one) in the Render setting. All shaders look different until rendered with a full render or a Spot Render. Shaders get calculated (set up properly) only in the render engine.

• SassanikSassanik Posts: 340
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    There are a big amount of free presets in sharecg. Also any seamless texture can be used for create new presets.
    You can customize color and tilling of differents designs, obtain a plain seamless texture and use in fabricator. It is free for personal renders and limited format

Ohh awesome website! Thanks for that share!

Amy

edited December 1969

So, is this a plug-in for daz or what?

Anyone have screen shots I can take a peek at?

edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

OOOOH that patterncooler is fun! :-) I downloaded a pattern and put it on the Malvada outfit I had been playing with yesterday. I used The Fabricator to apply the satin weave to the bodice and upper skirt and the silk moire weave on the bottom skirt flounce.
    Malvada_PatternCooler_Fabricator.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 1M
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    gilikshe said:

OOOOH that patterncooler is fun! :-) I downloaded a pattern and put it on the Malvada outfit I had been playing with yesterday. I used The Fabricator to apply the satin weave to the bodice and upper skirt and the silk moire weave on the bottom skirt flounce.

That's a really good example of how to use it and I love that dress.

edited December 1969

Marieah said:
    barbult said:
    gilikshe said:

That's a really good example of how to use it and I love that dress.
    Thanks, I love The Fabricator and Mach Pack. That dress is Malvada for V4 converted for Genesis with ladychance's method of using SickleYields SRMS.
    http://www.daz3d.com/malvada-for-v4
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/15492/P315/#297249

edited December 1969

So, is this a plug-in for daz or what?

Anyone have screen shots I can take a peek at?

Urban recreation is an environment, it is its comercial thread
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/7264/

edited April 2013

An extra use for fabricator. It is not direct, It need some extra bricks. A little refresh for default textures with weaves and others seamless textures.

despues.png
    771 x 1200 - 1M
    antes.png
    771 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    gilikshe said:

Dress is Wow!!!.

• edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    An extra use for fabricator. It is not direct, It need some extra bricks. A little refresh for default textures with weaves and others seamless textures.

That looks great! What exactly did you do, if you don't mind sharing?