Restore deleted directory

SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
edited December 1969 in New Users

I seem to have deleted a directory in my content library by accident, and it contained a hell of a lot of props. Is there any way to restore it/undo this?

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

If you're on PC,. anything you delete, should be placed into the Recycle Bin,.. as long as you haven't emptied that,.. then the files/folders will be there and can be restored from the recycle bin options.

If the recycle bin is empty,.
    Then you've deleted the files,.. and trashed them.
    While It's possible to use a data recovery program to try to recover those files, you may need to know what you're doing, as with all system tools they can be powerful, and in the wrong hands power tools can cause a lot of damage.

:)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Do you mean you deleted the folder from the disc, or that you removed the folder from the Content Library?

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your reply. I'm using a PC. Thing is, I deleted the directory while inside DS, but the compressed and uncompressed files are still present when I open my library via the desktop. So the props are still in existence, but no longer show up in DS. For example, I tried a search for a character's mask I'd used previously, no joy. But when I loaded an old scene in which the mask featured, it tuned up, so the stuff is still there, but how to get it back into DS so it shows up in My Content is the problem.

edited December 1969

you can go to the content library, then click the little menu on the top left corner, and choose either scan known folder for content, or search hard drive for content,
    that should fin the folders and give you options to add them back.

scan.jpg
    357 x 602 - 45K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Rather than scanning I would suggest right-clicking on the Poser Formats or DAZ Studio Formats entry in the Content Library (whichever it belongs in) and selecting the Add ... Directory option, then selecting the folder (you want to select the folder that holds the Runtime and Data folders).

edited December 1969

If I remember right, I had a problem with my content before and back on the old forum was advised to create a folder in my library (called my library? I'm not sure) and drag the runtime folders from my props into it, then they would be more organised. I've been doing this, and think it was this directory I deleted. As far as |I can see the content not showing up in DS is in Documents>daz 3d>studio>my library>runtime in which are folders for geometries, libraries and textures (amonst other stuff such as read me files). I think I may need to paste these somewhere to get them back into DS.

edited December 1969

Hi SteveM17

You should only have One folder called "My Library" in your (My Documents/Daz3D) folder, and that's where All of your content should be placed.

It's quite possible that someone here would have advised you to create another folder, for example: on your "Desktop", so that you could safely Unzip files into that folder, then drag what files/folders you needed, into your My library folder.
    but you should have only one "My Library".

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

I used the Add Directory option and things went back to how they were. Phew! Thanks a lot for that guys.

Sadly, as one problem is solved, another one turns up (smoothing not working, causing DS to crash, can't report bug that pops up as it won't respond and also crashes).