Lifeguard Tower - is it new or NOT?

RonSRonS Posts: 299
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I purchased the Lifeguard Tower some time ago and it looks identical to the product images for the one marked as "NEW" in the store now. The only difference is that the product number on mine is 10972_1_dpc and the one currently in the store is sku: 15944.

Can anyone tell me if the product in the store is truly a new version or not?

If it is, what changes have been made?

Comments

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

You're right. I thought this one looked familiar but there was no 'purchased' sign for me (which has happened in other cases even with a SKU change.)

I have the identical prop installed in my beach folder in my old organized runtime as exists in my newly populated DIM-Poser folder.

• hello_281345hello_281345 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I apologize for the confusion. This is a fixed and updated version, so a new product. The imagery is similar, but different products.

• RonSRonS Posts: 299
    edited December 1969

If this is "fixed and updated", then why are we not offered a "FIX" or "UPDATE" for our apparently defective products?

If you explain to us what the "fixes" are then maybe we can make an informed decision about whether or not to spend additional money.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited April 2013

Hmmm, I hope this isn't a new trend. Fixes and updates to existing products are normally distributed as free product updates. If the product looks the same, it seems like it is the same product. Why the new SKU and requirement to repurchase something to get a fix/update this time, I wonder.

Edit: RonS and I have the same take on this!

Post edited by barbult on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited April 2013

Remember that it is the vendor's choice not DAZ3D so venting should be aimed at the vender. Just saying. :) I am not saying it is right or wrong.

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Here is a comparison of an image I downloaded with my original purchase and an image I just got from the current product page. Except to scale them to the same height, I did nothing to them - can anyone see any differences?

I could also do a similar comparison with all the other product shots - they are the same except for the way they are cropped - to my eye at least. I have seen other examples of this happening and I have kept quiet, but am starting to see a trend that I do NOT like.

As far as vendors go, DAZ keeps a very tight leash on them, so this tendency is obviously done with their blessing. I for one would like an explanation.

Lifeguard_Tower_compare.jpg
    942 x 455 - 93K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

RonS said:
    I for one would like an explanation.
    and I hope you get one. I try not to jump to conclusions so it sure would be nice to know exactly why this had happened.
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Brittany, thanks for your response. If it's fixed and updated that's fine with me but I think it should be noted in the description.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

I thought this one looked awfully familiar.

Waiting with interest to see what DAZ says.

If anything.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I recognized this, and checked my runtime. Found it, so I didn't buy this 'update'. Seems very similar, so why bother?

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Did anybody who already owns the product even try resetting their downloads to see whether they got updates? I don't own it, so I can't.

edited December 1969

Yes, that's the first thing I tried - I reset the download, but it only gave me the old version with the old product number - identical to the one I already have. So obviously, they still have the old version in their downloads, but it is no longer in the store - only the "new" version which I am still waiting to find out about.

edited December 1969

Has anyone opened a ticket on this or bug-reported it yet? Sometimes it seems DAZ Support is operating on the "we answered, once, so it's solved" principle and never look again to see if there are followup replies. I know they've been hidously overworked ever since the store changeover, clubbing bigger alligators, but a quick look-in would be appreciated.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You have already been given an answer by a DAZ_Person.

Please remember that this product is not a DAZ Original so there's nothing DAZ 3D can do to change the way the item is being sold

edited December 1969

I don't want to start an argument, but it wasn't much of an answer, and raised more questions than it resolved. I.e. straightforward "updates and fixes" are not usually charged for, unless it's something major like the Gen4 clothes Unimesh expansions. We don't even know what was changed from the original item.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The item is not OWNed by Daz3D thus the person who created the item and is selling the item has full control of how it is handled. Daz3D can not offer a Update if the person selling the item is not offering the item as a update or a fix. Daz3D has no control over how the item is offered by the creator. Is this issue now explained fully?

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The item is not OWNed by Daz3D thus the person who created the item and is selling the item has full control of how it is handled. Daz3D can not offer a Update if the person selling the item is not offering the item as a update or a fix. Daz3D has no control over how the item is offered by the creator. Is this issue now explained fully?

No. In fact, that's only a rehash of the answer people have already explained is not what they need. Some relevant questions are:

Was the 'update' being released as a separate product a mistake?

If not, why was the 'update' released as a separate product?

What are the actual changes?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

No. In fact, that's only a rehash of the answer people have already explained is not what they need. Some relevant questions are:

What are the actual changes?All questions that only the person who created the item can answer. Not Daz3D.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Jaderail said:

What are the actual changes?

All questions that only the person who created the item can answer. Not Daz3D.

Here's one Daz3D can answer: How can one contact the person who created the product? They don't seem to have a forum presence.

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

chohole said:

Please remember that this product is not a DAZ Original so there's nothing DAZ 3D can do to change the way the item is being sold

Well, I beg to disagree. If another vendor sold this product after tweaking a few things, it would be - rightly - considered copyright theft. In this case it seems as a way to abuse peoples memories (have bought this, or not?) And I'll leave it at that.

Post edited by Norse Graphics on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Since Vue is shown of the Vendors page, I would hazard a guess that Cornucopia 3D has some connection with E-on software.

• ameesa001@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Cornucopia3D is a site that sells Vue and mostly Vue content in partnership with e-on, like Content Paradise and Poser. Once in a while I see something pop up from them for Poser. This seems to be one of those times. Not sure why they're listing it as a new item though.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,303
    edited November 2013

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

FYI, that was no "answer". It was pure hyperbole, communicating absolutely nothing. It was smoke and mirrors. In truth, DAZ IS RESPONSIBLE for the advertising claims (or lack thereof) of every product sold in its store. Whether they created the product or not, they are PROMOTING it. They are being PAID for promoting it, and legally, and they are ultimately responsible for the details of any such promotion.whether they wrote the copy or not.

To be fair, I have previously sent a PM to the vendor but have received no answer. Perhaps DAZ can tell me what other options I have to get an HONEST answer to a VALID question besides PM to the vendor or posting in this forum?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

They are being PAID for promoting it,

Yes they are. By the content creator who submitted the product to them. Just like at other brokerages if a product is submitted as new through that "system" it is going to show up in the new products as apposed to a product that has changes made via a different rout. In other words, if you submit a product as new at a brokerage it shows up in the new products and if you contact them via emails etc and ask to have something fixed or changed so that the product (in theory) gets an update. Different brokerages have different policy on if they will even accept updates and it is not often that content creators end up going back to fix something so it is very possible that the person was not really sure what to do and just went head and submitted the product through the system.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

There were several products sold during MM as "new" that had been in the store for some time.

Short of DAZ refusing to place the item in the store, there is little they can do if a PA pulls an item, makes some changes, calls it new, and puts it back in the store.

edited December 1969

My daddy was not educated, but he was very wise. He told me, "If it LOOKS like a skunk, and it WALKS like a skunk, and especially, if it STINKS like a skunk, then you can be 99.9% certain that you are in the presence of a SKUNK!.

So here we have a "NEW" product that looks exactly like an old product; and it has exactly the same name as the old product, and nobody can tell us any difference from the old product. So I think I can be 99.9% certain that we have a SKUNK and DAZ is trying to tell us it is a kitty cat!

"Le Pew... Le meow!"

edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    There were several products sold during MM as "new" that had been in the store for some time.

I'm not sure these two cases are all that similar. IIRC all of the "new" MM items were on sale for a short time — although this wasn't very clearly laid out from reading the promos and store pages — then we were told they'd be taken out of the store for a while before returning "later". This lifeguard tower has apparently gone back into the store (did anyone notice when it was taken out?) and we're told it's been "fixed and updated", unlike the MM stuff, as a new product, again unlike the MM stuff, and with no apparent upgrade option if we already bought it.

As mentioned a few posts upthread, it's the lack of information that's creating so much uncertainty; if no-one tells us what's going on, we're left to guess.

• DAZ_KevinDAZ_Kevin Posts: 2,420
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the confusion on this set. We have pulled it down until everything is sorted out. If you purchased this set twice, please contact CS, they will get you taken care of.
    When everything is cleared up, we will make sure those who previously purchased this set get the most recent files.

edited December 1969

Thank you for checking this out for us :)