How to create custom content that shows up in DAZ?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've already started making obj files and the like for others to share here: http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=AuroraMoon

But the problem is... I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to putting things in the right folder and also for putting it in a zip file for others to have so that it shows up in THEIR Daz program, instead of having them export it into their program manually using my obj files.

I'm a newbie when it comes to making Daz files, etc so I would like some advice on that. I don't need tutorials on how to create clothing because I already know that stuff. what I need is something that helps me learn how to make custom content for others to use easily. ie, have it show up in the Daz folder/browsers within the program with a easy click.

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2013

Unless these are specifically Daz Studio exclusive items the packaging is the same as Poser
    objj in Runtime/Geometries, .jpg in Runtime/Textures, .CR2's in Runtime/Libraries/Character, etc.
    Daz Studio pretty much reads .CR2, FC2, PZ2,etc.

the only time when you you would or should run into the Daz Studio data folder (e.g. My Documents/Daz3d/Studio x/Content/Data) is when you have saved a Studio Scene (e.g. .DUF) file and you want to load the item via a scene.
    When you save the scene it creates a data folder in \\Data\(version #)\
    you would need to find the folder it created and include that in the zip file. the Data folder location is not as specific as the runtime hierarchy.
    Saving mat files, and poses directly from Daz Studio does not create any additional data files so those can be picked up where you saved them, you can also mix and match mats, poses, scenes (outside the runtime folder hierarchy) in the same folder and Studio can read them all in those folders as opposed to if Studio encounters for example a .pp2, or .cr2 or .fc2 or file in the runtime hierarchy but not in it's proper folder (props, character, face respectively) it's not going to read it, just like poser will only see the file type associated with the runtime hierarchy.

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I just looked at DAZ3D store purchased products to find this info out. It does help having a working knowledge and understanding of the different formats used in Poser and Daz Studio

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I suppose an interesting addendum to this would be finding out how to package metadata for distribution. Daz seem to be keeping that little nugget a closely guarded secret, but I'm onto them. I found a lovely little script in the RunOnce folder and pulled apart the accompanying file to see what made it tick. It rather looks like CSS, and should be easy enough to replicate.

Soon I shall have complete mastery over metadata and my conquest of Earth shall begin. Mwahahaha!

edited December 1969

"conquest of Earth", who said you didn't have any goals. :)

• edited December 1969

thanks, StratDragon! That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    "conquest of Earth", who said you didn't have any goals. :)

More of a hobby really. Megalomania doesn't pay the bills, after all.
    edited December 1969

This is true as we in the BWC know too well but it is good fun. :)

edited December 1969

you're welcome.
    I just send the obj with no UV Mappings and tell them to fend for themselves.
    If anyone knows of good tutorial on this it would be good for the community, unless there is one out there that I missed, and I tend to miss a lot of these stuffs.

edited December 1969

you're welcome.
    If anyone knows of good tutorial on this it would be good for the community, unless there is one out there that I missed, and I tend to miss a lot of these stuffs.
    OBJ supports UV mappings and surfaces at least. So if you import an OBJ file which has accompanying textures you can simply apply them to the right surfaces and it will look correct. Of course, saving them out as a DUF file has other advantages, but I couldn't imagine not mapping the UV's at the very least.

• edited December 1969

ever since 2009, I was mainly something of a texture artist in that I often would apply textures to all types of 3d stuff... even had a store up on IMVU (a chat room similar to second life) revolving around that specialty. But I never really made my own 3d stuff... I had to depend on others for that until now. So I know how highly frustrating it is to apply textures to something and not have it look right like you wanted!

It can take a whole day of work if you don't have a UV map to work from, and espeically if the other artists wouldn't let you have their obj files for UV mapping because you can apply textures to the stuff inside IMVU. that is, if you're not a big fan of "just throw one of those crappy seamless textures on the whole thing and call it a day" method and actually want your clothes to actually look like real clothes.

This is why I swore to myself that if I ever got into making 3d stuff, that I would always provide UV maps and stuff for those who did not know to make their own maps. :P

edited April 2013

you're welcome.

OBJ supports UV mappings and surfaces at least. So if you import an OBJ file which has accompanying textures you can simply apply them to the right surfaces and it will look correct. Of course, saving them out as a DUF file has other advantages, but I couldn't imagine not mapping the UV's at the very least.

I can use uvmapper, but I'm trying to learn the mapping system in Blender which appears to be far more robust. I'm still working out modeling and keeping my poly count down to sub Pixar requirements.
    I've only modeled a handful items that don't necessary require textures to give them realism, most of them only need surface color or shaders to accomplish that.
    The other thing is I've only been modeling for a few months, as a hobby, and sometimes the best way to learn is to give it to someone else and they tell you what you did wrong.

Post edited by StratDragon on
    edited December 1969

I had been struggling with UV maps for ages until I had a Eureka moment and it all suddenly clicked for me. Then I was left trying to figure out why I'd been so stumped! Since then I've done UV maps for a lot of different objects, including a total remapping of Genesis so I could use an old set of textures (wasn't easy I might add).

Sometimes the best way to learn is to try, try again.