problem need help

TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

this comes up when I try to load an object it imported alright from daz but even if I click on it to try to delete it this message comes up and the only way to stop it is for me to right click the task manager and shut Bryce down....I was going to go in the back way and pull the whole object preset out but for some reason unknown to me all of the obps and mat files I loaded are gone(I can see them from Bryce when I am working on something ) but not listed with the object titles I created...Thanks in advance Trish

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Don't know what sort of object you try to import. If there are a lot of missing objects, several may pop up. Though most of the times you end up with nothing imported - but at least Bryce runs.

If you can properly load the object into Studio, export it from Studio with another name or send it over the bridge to Bryce.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

It is already in Bryce and hangs it up I want to get it out of the program

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Is the problem that when you click OK in the warning window, it just puts it back up again?

This can (and does) happen when the model that's missing has a lot of components and it will put one these warning windows up for each component. Sometimes you can sit there clicking that OK button for long time until it's gone through the whole list of components, and then when it's done you have a blank scene.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

One question missing is how did you import the object from DAZ into Bryce? If you used the Bryce bridge that may be the problem.

edited December 1969

Yes Savage it just keeps throwing up the ok and I can't get it to stop no matter how many times I click
    Guss; I exported as an wavefront obj its that Andoria city and it showed up ok I saved it to the obp file and now when I click to get it up again it throws the missing obj thing.....I would just like it gone...out of Bryce the Andoria city thing but I can't find it going through the back of the program all of my files don't show up....in fact none of them do...but they show up while I'm in Bryce working on things...Whats up with that they used to show up???? I named the catagories...

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

You are running the up to date version of Bryce? Here is how to check. Bryce 7.1 Pro - Help, About Bryce - a short video by David Brinnen

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Yes Savage it just keeps throwing up the ok and I can't get it to stop no matter how many times I click
    Well now I've seen what the model is, I'm guessing it's got hundreds of components so you'd be pressing that OK button hundreds of times.
    Not that it will get you anywhere as the model will load empty after you've done all that.

Guss; I exported as an wavefront obj its that Andoria city and it showed up ok I saved it to the obp file and now when I click to get it up again it throws the missing obj thing.....I would just like it gone...out of Bryce the Andoria city thing but I can't find it going through the back of the program all of my files don't show up....in fact none of them do...but they show up while I'm in Bryce working on things...Whats up with that they used to show up???? I named the catagories...

OK, the good news is that other people have had the same problem.
    It's sounding more and more like the Windows problem where Windows (or maybe you're running Nortons Anti-Virus) decides that you don't need your preset files and moves them, or that they were never installed into the usual place (again from reading other people's problems many people install them away from the programme files). If they are showing up in Bryce then rest assured the .obp files are still on your computer somwhere, use the find utility to search your hard drive using the search term ".obp" and locate them from the search returns.

Also as David mentions, make sure if you have two versions of Bryce on your computer that you're using the most up to date version, if an .obj or .obp has been used in a newer version of Bryce, they will not load into an older version... This is made more complicated by the fact that the past two releases of Bryce are both called Bryce 7 in the opening splash screen with no instant visual clues as to which version is opening.

Previous version: Bryce 7.0.1.34
    Latest version: Bryce 7.1.0.109

edited December 1969

@Trish - have you ever looked at this file http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf ? If not, maybe it helps.

edited April 2013

ok heres where i am so far....don't have Norton (that has caused me problems before so I got rid of that)....I checked and I have the newest Bryce version.....I did a search and it will not take me inside the Bryce program it leads me to public/public documents/Daz3d/bryce/content.......which is Hdri,content,lens flares tutorials...ect. I am glad not to be the only one with this issue ...I am thinking of uninstalling the whole thing and starting over....Don't know if that is the smartest idea I have ever had though. p.s. I am running windows 7

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

If you ever go to re-install Bryce, do not forget to save your Preset folder with everything that is in it. A re-install will overwrite everything and what you have is lost for good.

edited December 1969

Ok guys this is weird I unstalled Bryce everything.....Went to my other hard drive to re-install Bryce everything is still there all the mat and obj obp files I could not find before...I still can't find them but somehow they appeared again.....any ideas????

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Ok guys this is weird I unstalled Bryce everything.....Went to my other hard drive to re-install Bryce everything is still there all the mat and obj obp files I could not find before...I still can't find them but somehow they appeared again.....any ideas????

What exactly do you mean by "I still can't find them but somehow they appeared again"? You can see the files on disk but can't access them in Bryce? You can use the data in Bryce but can't find what files in Windows Bryce is referencing?

I'm not sure what you are doing when you move back and forth from one hard drive to the other (reinstalling, copying files, etc.). This is probably completely unrelated so ignore it if it's confusing or not pertinent, but just in case, here's some notes I had written down concerning Windows 7 and Bryce:
    In Windows 7, if you try to delete or change a file somewhere within "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\" it appears that it changed but in fact Windows is running off a second copy it secretly created within "C:\Users\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\Bryce7\Presets\". It appears that you need to delete it from both places, although you only need to put the updated one in the x86 folder. Another possible Windows 7 virtual store problem, it seems as though if you copy a .mat file from the Bryce installed location that exists in the virtual store, the copy silently gets corrupted. However you can copy it from the virtual store location instead and it won't be corrupted.

edited April 2013

Sean; I can not find this app data/local/virtual store ....ect as per your instructions when I go to c/users my name then I have......This see below...Is this secret copy hidden somehow I can't find it

When I reinstalled Bryce off of my external hard drive the presets I put into Bryce were still there But they don't show up when I search for them also I only had to re-install the box I checked the rest was already there I didn't even have to re-input my ser# I guess I'm not great at explaining things...sorry

Untitled.jpg
    628 x 154 - 66K
    name.jpg
    216 x 356 - 39K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

bullit, are you trying to find what Sean gave you on your 'C:' drive or your external drive? Not only will you find Bryce within the AppData folder on the 'C:' drive, but many other programs. C: -> User -> your user name -> AppData -> Local -> VirtualStore -> Program Files -> DAZ 3D -> Bryce 7. Sorry if this is repetitive, but following Sean's information I find on my computer what Sean is talking about by following the above path.

edited April 2013

Sean; Guss: thankyou that is where my obps and mat files are I was spelling things wrong thats why I couldn't find it Thank you Thankyou!!!

Post edited by Trish on
    edited April 2013

edit post

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

I don't know if it's hidden, but one way to find out is to go into Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View and scroll down until you find the selection that hides folders. If that box is checked, uncheck it then see what you get when you click on C:\users.

Hang on, I just had a thought. You're only getting the window you posted after clicking on User? When you log onto your computer are you going in as administrator or regular user? Have you set up an administrator/regular user account in Win 7? If you haven't set up an account in Win 7 that may be the reason you don't see anything but the window you posted. Win 7 doesn't know you want to get into a specific account. I don't know Win 7 that well to tell you how to set up a user account, so if you do need to set up an account Google will be your best friend to find the information.

edited December 1969

Thanks guys I found all of my files now.....I appreciate all of the help!!!

edited December 1969

Good to hear bullit. Where did you find them?

edited April 2013

Guss : windows seperated my obp and mat files that I put into Bryce and moved them to the virtual store.....I wonder what other weird things windows 7 does...I have only had this computer for a few months so window 7 is new to me yet. I would have never found them on my own thats for sure.

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

That's good to know, bullit. It will help is I ever encounter the same problem.