DS4.5 data storage locations

NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
edited December 1969 in New Users

I'd sure appreciate it if someone could answer this question regarding *everywhere* DS4.5 stores its data.

I took a freebie butterfly model and added bones to it for practice. Although I gave it a new name, it got mixed up with the original when I tried applying the .ds MAT file to my em-bone-ated version. The original's .obj file was OK, but the .cr2 file called up 2 extra copies of the butterfly in the Scene tab, both of which were invisible, (the eye icon was open). And it could no longer could accept its MATs. Deleting all butterfly files and reinstalling from scratch didn't fix it.

Performing all the Content Database Maintenance actions changed nothing. Closing DAZ and turning off & on the Content Mgmnt Svc did nothing. Uninstalling DAZ and reinstalling did nothing.

Where would info like that be stored?

But wait, there's more! Re-uninstalling DAZ & the Content Mgmnt Svc, deleting all Daz folders from Program Files and Programdata folders, and My Documents, and then turning off the machine, and leaving the room for a day, and then reinstalling everything -- brought up a new question.

This time DAZ didn't need my serial number, and it remembers my "View as Tree" choice for Content Library, and remembers my Authorship name. I thought I wiped everything! (I read about a new "C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ3D..." path, but didn't find one).

Where else in the computer, or in my home or at some quantum Planck-scale level, is DAZ storing all this info? I haven't tried the butterfly again because I don't need the anger. I could reinstall Windows, but if nothing changes I'll have a heart attack from the shock.

Could someone explain where DS4.5 stores *all* its various data, and how to remove each? It would make a great tutorial for this latest version, by the way. MANY thanks!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Some settings are stored in the registry.

Your problem with the butterfly sounds like an issue that can occur if the different parts of the CR2 (the base bone list, the actual bones settings and the materials I think) have different names for the figure - that shouldn't happen if you used the Figure Setup tools, but might if you hand edited the CR2 or used another utility.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Thanks Richard for your response! The registry might be all that's left.

I've reinstalled DS4.5 & Genesis Starter Essentials several times today after completely uninstalling and removing everything having anything to do with DAZ. Each time, using the original zipped folder for the butterfly model, I get the same duplicate butterflies mentioned before. This never happened before I ruined something by trying to apply the MATs to my experimental version of the butterfly.

This confirms it. It's data that DAZ still retrieves from somewhere, and not a damaged butterfly .cr2 file. Besides, DAZ still remembers all my original settings, including (I just noticed), my Import path from a few days ago.

I've uninstalled or deleted every DAZ thing from:
    ProgramData, Program Files, & MyLibrary folders. Plus the bitrock_installer files from Users\

I'd hate to have to System Restore Win7 to an earlier time because I've done a lot of configuring and personalizations on it after reinstalling and updating Windows just a few days ago. That was a time-consuming job.

By the way, shouldn't I be seeing Geometries and Libraries folders under Runtime, and a Presets folder under MyLibrary after installing DS4.5 & Genesis Starter Essentials? Or do those get installed with models and characters later? I don't remember, but they sure don't show up there now.

OK, I'll look through the Registry. But this isn't a very good way to have to deal with something like this. There should be safe & easy ways to cleanse DAZ's memory... Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow when I'm not so tired.

Thanks again!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Did you clear the AppData>Roaming>Daz folder? Its a hidden folder in Users.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

kenkoy said:
    Deleting all butterfly files and reinstalling from scratch didn't fix it.

Where did you look for "all" of them? If you're loading a Poser .cr2 then it'll pull the mesh info from the /Runtime/Geometries/ folder, if it's a D|S .duf file it'll look in the /data/ folder. If you don't delete these files, they might not be overwritten by a reinstall.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Did you clear the AppData>Roaming>Daz folder? Its a hidden folder in Users.

What is DSON cache, and can I delete it and still run DS 4.5.1.56 without any problem?
    edited April 2013

If your not running the DSON plugin in Poser I for see no problems.

If that is the one OUTside DS, you might break your DataBase if you remove it from inside DS.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If your not running the DSON plugin in Poser I for see no problems.

If that is the one OUTside DS, you might break your DataBase if you remove it from inside DS.

I am talking about the contents of C:\Users\[my name]\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\dson\cache
    There's 26 megabytes of stuff in there and I have no idea what purpose it serves. So, I'm wondering if it is safe to delete it. I only run DS 4.5.1.56.
    edited December 1969

Let me try and I'll let you know. BRB.

edited April 2013

I just removed mine and I see NO issues in DS4.5. Seems safe.
    It is the CODE needed to Convert DS Genesis content to Poser format using the DSON plugin.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I just removed mine and I see NO issues in DS4.5. Seems safe.
    It is the CODE needed to Convert DS Genesis content to Poser format using the DSON plugin.

Thanks for performing that test and for the explanation of what it is. Do you know if there is an option to turn off the creation of that data, since I don't use Poser?
    edited December 1969

Lots of the newer content COMES with it. If you use the DIM you can set it to NOT install the DSON content.

edited December 1969

I'm a little confused - reading your first post it sounds as if the butterfly figure has always had this issue, but later you seem to be saying it was working at one point. If it's always had the problem, and if you are loading the CR2 each time, them it's the files not left over DS settings that are the problem.

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited December 1969

Success, sorta!

First, everyone who responded had great info! It both sent me in the right direction regarding how to clean out Daz data, and proved to me that the butterfly model itself was defective. I used all of your suggestions and, step-by-step, prodded through the mess:

I cleared the AppData\Roaming\Daz folder and had partial success. Daz no longer remembered my Content Library configs, nor my Author Name. But it still remembered the serial # and old Import path. No big deal, but I'm stubborn & wanted nothing left.

I searched through the registry and only found the import path.

I system restored and spent the day reconfiguring Win7. Then reinstalling Daz, found everything brand new. So the Registry WAS hiding something! What a horrible program Daz is to start fresh with!

There were several folders that held info after uninstalling the program:

Program Files\Daz
    Programdata\Daz3D
    ... Studio\MyLibrary
    C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\DAZ3D
    C:\Users\All Users\DAZ3D
    (The Temp file probably wouldn't have had any effect)

Taking care of those folders, PLUS somewhere in the registry, allowed for a brand-new installation of DS4.5... Jeez.

The butterfly model now: I was a little confused, too, Richard. It was built wrongly. (It was free). The .cr2 file does call up 2 extra instances of the model, (from Runtime/Geometries), one invisible with bones partially configured (no movement), and the other just invisible. I missed that point because in the beginning I only imported the .obj file in order to rig it myself. Then I stupidly tried changing names to get my version to accept the textures. Afterwards, I assumed I caused the .cr2's problem "somewhere" within Daz itself.

Thanks everyone for your information. This has been a good couple of days (learning-wise). I hate being new... especially at my age!

edited December 1969

I'm glad you got it sorted out.