GOz, Studio to ZBrush, import cloths and conform

lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi every body,
By goz i export Victoria 4 to zbrush, i extract clothes bi command "extract".
Back again to Studio, how can i conform the cloths in order to
Make it follow the body for posing and morph?
Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,192
    edited December 1969

Spreading your bets? I just answered your query in respect to Poser :D

In DS, load V4 and make sure she's selected, then open the Figure Setup pane. Right-click on the pane's tab and from the menu choose Copy from selected. Now right-click in the Geometry List area of the pane and choose Add geometry from the list, select your OBJ and use the modo preset to get the correct scale. In the Relationships area of the pane right-click and select Remove Geometry Reference to get rid of V4's mesh, then drag the new OBJ in from the Geometry List - with luck that will correctly marry-up the parts, but ZBrush can mangle the group names as I recall. Optionally right-click in relationships to delete unwanted bones. Check Modify Selected figure at bottom left of the pane, change the name and label at the top of the relationships tree by clicking twice, and click the Apply button. As with the Poser version you may need to adjust the joint settings with the Joint Editor tool, leaving the centres and end points alone.

• lannabullslannabulls Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Richard, kind as always, thank!
    I ask the same question about studio and Poser to understad the easiest procedure, at list for me.

I attach some photos cause i follow your suggestion and i can not conform the shirt, i and up conforming another istance of Victoria 4, obviously i'm dooing something wrong, easier to understand and make you understand by photos.

1- In the scene i load victoria 4 figure and "V4- shirt.obj", the shirt that i created in zbrush, i use obj import option studio daz unit, default option.

Victoria body must be selected

2- I open Figure Setup pane

3- click right upper icon (see photo_1, red arrow point at) and i click from the menu "choose Copy from selected"

4- right-click in the Geometry List area of the pane and choose Add geometry from the list

5- select my OBJ "V4- shirt.obj" and use the modo preset to get the correct scale, i use studio daz unit default option

6- In the Relationships area of the pane right-click and select Remove Geometry Reference to get rid of V4’s mesh....
    Where i have to click, on geometry? See Photo- 2 i must click Geometry as selected in red photo- 2?

7- Check Modify Selected figure at bottom left of the pane,

click apply

8- change the name and label at the top of the relationships tree by clicking twice, and click the Apply button.
    Whic name i have to change? I must rename "blMilWom_v4b_68498" name and "Victoria 4.2" label?

click create

Thank a lot!

photo_3.jpg
    607 x 477 - 120K
    photo_2.jpg
    607 x 481 - 132K
    photo_1.jpg
    611 x 521 - 135K
    edited December 1969

You didn't drag the entry for the shirt from the Geometry List to the relationships list, so there's no geometry at all assigned to the new figure. But having looked at this again, the OBJ is not going to have groups on return from ZBrush so it simply won't work. There would be a workaround if you didn't have a recent version of Poser (convert V4 to weight-map, use the Transfer Utility to rig the shirt OBJ, and if you wanted it for Poser too export that as OBJ with Use existing under the group option and then proceed as in my first post using that OBJ for the clothing) but since Poser Pro 2012 does have the ability to project groups from a CR2 I think you are best off with that - V4 isn't weight-mapped so you shoudl be able to bring the rigged figure into DS to use the better joint editor tool there once the auto-conversion is done.

edited December 1969

Thank,
    as i told you in the other thread,
    i understood perfectly how to conform custom clothes in poser, it works fine!
    I learn how to make a blank cr2, use the joint editor properly too.

Anyway, cause i would like to learn studio too:
    when i have to drag the entry for the shirt from the Geometry List to the relationships list?
    Can you be so kind and explain again as you did before telling me when to drag the entry?
    I export the model from zbrush properly grouped.
    Thank a lot!

edited December 1969

You import the OBJ into the Geometry list, by right-clicking, then you delete the existing geometry reference (the blMilWom), then you drag your clothing OBJ into the relationships list and it will assign it to bones based on the matching names. Change the figure name, check Modify Selected, and click Apply.

edited December 1969

Thank,
    i'm going to try once at home.
    One more question, sorry!!!!!
    Change the figure name, which name i must use? Is it up to me? Or i must name "blMilWom_v4b_68498"?
    Thank and sorry again

edited December 1969

It needs to be different from the name of the Victoria 4 figure, but what you sue instead is up to you.

edited December 1969

Sorry i dont understand,
    if you are so nice to explain one more time as you are telling a 5 years old baby or no problem, thanks anyway.

edited April 2013

Which bit(s) don't you understand? Can you bring the OBJ into Figure Setup, and if you can does it show the correct group names? It should be something like this, though presumably with a shorter list of groups (and I haven't imported Victoria 4 into the pane, so it isn't set up as yours would be in several places).

FigSetupWithOBJ.JPG
    516 x 613 - 35K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

I learned about "transfer utility", it works with genesis, dont work with V4,
    very easy to conform, morph clothes, pratically Studio does everything by itself, excellent!!!!!
    However I still have problem follow the procedure object of this thread that you are trying to explain to me.
    My shirt made and exported from Zbrush is properly grouped, it use the same group of V4 character, it is just a test.

1- In the scene i load victoria 4 figure and “V4- shirt.obj”, the shirt that i created in zbrush, i use obj import option studio daz unit, default option.

Victoria body must be selected

2- I open Figure Setup pane

3- click right upper icon> “choose Copy from selected”

4- right-click in the Geometry List area of the pane and choose Add geometry from the list

5- select my OBJ “V4- shirt.obj” and use the modo preset to get the correct scale, i use studio daz unit default option

6- In the Relationships area of the pane right-click and select Remove Geometry Reference to get rid of V4’s mesh….
    I have to click on geometry shown in See Photo- 2, right?

7- i drag from Geometry to relationship list my shirt.obj

8- Now I must delate V4 file, in the geometry list i delate “blMilWom_v4b_68498”

9- In relationship list i rename “blMilWom_v4b_68498” as "V4- shirt"

10- Check Modify Selected figure at bottom left of the pane

11- Apply - Create

there is something that i do wrong,
    can you repeat please the procedure one more last time, please?
    How you can see in photo i end up with my shirt with its proper set of bones, however i can not select the bones and translate, move, rotate, i can only select the entire prop, if i use node selection tool no nodes are selected, only a unique piece of prop, do you understand what i mean?
    Sorry to mind you like that

Capture.JPG
    920 x 433 - 46K
    edited December 1969

Are you sure the OBJ is grouped correctly? I noticed you have another thread on grouping and GoZ, which makes me think it isn't. I'm not convinced of the benefit of using GoZ for this, since you have to export to OBJ in the end for Figure Setup.

edited April 2013

I'm sure 100% that my shirt is grouped properly cause i export V4, the main character where i extract the shirt from,
    as an obj, i did not use GoZ cause, as we spoke in the other thread, it is impossible export with proper groups in it so in Daz Studio i zero out V4, export her as an obj and import to Zbrush where i end up with v4 with all her groups properly on.
    Cause this is just a test in zbrush i select and mask some upper body V4 groups part, mask then and extract the shirt so the shirt that i extract has the exact same groups as V4, the character where it is going to be conformed to. Therefore the shirt is exported as an obj again and imported back to daz and yes, it is properly grouped. Back in studio, once in Figure Setup pane, in the geometry tab, as soon as i import my "V4-shirt.obj" i can see all the groups in the hieracly list. In your photo in the geometry tab i see genesis with all her bones in the hieracly list, when i import my "V4-shirt.obj" i see the same hieracly list, in state of bones i see label as example "group 2350" all groups with numbers.
    What i do wrong? I'm sure i'm doing something wrong also case, as the last photo that i upload dont show, in my scene tab i end up with 2 istances of "V4-shirt", both grouped, both dont work, impossible to selects every single nodes, i delate one.
    Thank for your patience

PS
    One question that has nothing to do with the thread subject:
    i have 2 pc connected as an intranet, in one i install daz studio, in the other poser. Can i install another istance of daz studio, manager installer and all the content that i bought to the other pc, the one where i have poser? I ask that cause that means install al the purchased content in 2 pcs, i dont want do something against Daz policy.
    Thank

Post edited by lannabulls on
    edited December 1969

Right, this is a problem with ZBrush - it's replacing the original group names with random numbers. Properly grouped, for this, requires that the group names match the bone names. I believe this is a general issue with ZB5R5, and maybe ZB4R4. The group boundaries should be right still, butt hey need to be renamed.

Yes, you can install your content on multiple machines as long as only one is sued at once. Kendall Sears has his systems set up to use a single networked drive for all of his machines, though I think that took some effort (especially with respect tot the Content Management System).

edited December 1969

So finally we find what was the problem.
    I run 2 tests, export V4 and V5 as obj, import to Zbrush, extract a test Tshirt with V4 and V5 exact same polygroups on it.
    back to Studio I conform the shirt extracted from V5 to Victoria 5, i did it by "transfer utility", amizing command!!!!! No problem about groups, the shirt is properly grouped, it conform perfectly.
    On the contrary when i export V4 as an obj, from Zbrush back to Srudio i end up with the problem that you mentioned, V4-Shirt.obj groups are renamed by Zbrush with random numbers, in my geometry tab i see an hieracly with entry as "group-2430" and so on. I must rename all the groups properly, i must use the exact name used by daz studio right?

I'm going to install daz and al bought content to my second pc,
    Thank

edited December 1969

Yes, the names must match exactly. The V5 groups will be in the same state, but the Transfer Utility - for good or ill - overwrites the existing groups as part of projecting the rigging from Genesis. One workaround is to convert V4 to weight-mapped (Edit>Figure>Rigging>Convert to Weight Mapping) and then use the Transfer Utility, but that does break backward compatibility I think.