The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

alternatively we could just vote on the images as they are.?

thanks
    Stefan

That sounds reasonable to me. Is it possible to just remove all posts that don't contain entries? No sense in over complicating things.

You could number each qualified entry post and have a complimentary thread where folks could vote by number.

• fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

whatever would be easiest works for me.... if it would be easier to have all who made images post them in a new thread i would be fine with or we can just wade through this one also :)

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

I know that on other forums it's possible for moderators to split threads; they could just take all the relevant posts and create a new thread from them..

But then that's on common message board systems.. I don't know if they thought to add that feature when they decided to build this one from the ground up..

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Splitting 252 posts, scattered around a thread this long, would not be a simple solution, regardless of whether we were using the old software or this new software. Plus of course splitting would mean this thread would lose all the images that were spilt out, which would make the coversations somewaht irrelevant, as the comments would be about posts that are no longer in the thread.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518
    edited December 1969

Here's an idea, why not just let Stefan look thru the entries and pick the winners which i thought was the original plan instead of community voting. Popularity contests are rarely based solely on artistic merit.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

The first page explains it all.... ;)

• MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Splitting 252 posts, scattered around a thread this long, would not be a simple solution, regardless of whether we were using the old software or this new software. Plus of course splitting would mean this thread would lose all the images that were spilt out, which would make the coversations somewaht irrelevant, as the comments would be about posts that are no longer in the thread.

Then delete all of the irrelevant posts. The point is to make things easier..

Frankly I couldn't begin to pick out images to vote on as there are soo many non-entry images posted in this thread that I stopped following it after the first week..

• DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited April 2013

Deleting all non relevent posts from the original thread seems a good way to go about it. As the contest was going I saved all entries to a folder every day so I already have my votes sorted out using Acdsee tagging them a 1 though 5 rating, so now I just have to pick my top ones from the 5 rating category. But I do believe only people who entered should be allowed to vote once for each position. ie... one vote for 1st one for 2nd, 3rd, 1 for for for community favorite...etc.. and not for their own piece. And I agree about the no comments comment when voting. Best of luck sorting this out Stonemason. Haven't there been contests like this before on these forums? How were those handled?

Post edited by Davage on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Deleting all non relevant posts from a COPY of this topic would be ok, but I wouldn't want any post deleted from this topic.

However, it's not really fair to ask the mods to "fix" this. Instead of making Stonemason find a solution, we could repost our images to a new topic. That is ... if we want to participate in being judged by the community. Not everyone might want to be judged by the community.

Give us a week or so to do so ... not like any other way will be quicker. After all ... isn't everyone else who entered checking this topic daily?

Some contests used the DAZ ArtZone (which doesn't exist anymore) to submit entries. Others have used an entry only topic and a separate discussion topic. I believe most contests on the DAZ forums tend to have fewer entries, and there aren't usually a lot of non-entries posted.

Davage003 said:
    Deleting all non relevent posts from the original thread seems a good way to go about it. As the contest was going I saved all entries to a folder every day so I already have my votes sorted out using Acdsee tagging them a 1 though 5 rating, so now I just have to pick my top ones from the 5 rating category. But I do believe only people who entered should be allowed to vote once for each position. ie... one vote for 1st one for 2nd, 3rd, 1 for for for community favorite...etc.. and not for their own piece. And I agree about the no comments comment when voting. Best of luck sorting this out Stonemason. Haven't there been contests like this before on these forums? How were those handled?
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited April 2013

we could repost our images to a new topic.

This could work, but only if everybody who posted is still monitoring this thread on a regular basis, especially since thread subscriptions stop working constantly. (although it leaves the door open for people to quick make last-minute changes to their previously submitted entries; no idea if this would actually happen or not.)
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • ecoleenaecoleena Posts: 85
    edited April 2013

alternatively we could just vote on the images as they are.?

thanks
    Stefan

That sounds reasonable to me. Is it possible to just remove all posts that don't contain entries? No sense in over complicating things.

You could number each qualified entry post and have a complimentary thread where folks could vote by number.

There are many good ideas but this solution could be the easiest way,
    but (just my opinion) no deleting the non entries (just not assign them a number).

In the following posts, Isikol solution: ..." to duplicate this topic
    and then delete the non relavent posts would be great!"
    This solution is very good too.

Post edited by ecoleena on
    edited April 2013

Or even easier really. Someone with some time to spare could go through the thread and right click / copy image location and make a list of them.

Actually that then could become a really unbiased vote, because when you do that. you only get to see the image, not who posted it.

So if the list iis done with just image title and link

Only whoever compiles the list would need to know who posted which image.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Or even easier really. Someone with some time to spare could go through the thread and right click / copy image location and make a list of them.

Actually that then could become a really unbiased vote, because when you do that. you only get to see the image, not who posted it.

So if the list iis done with just image title and link

Only whoever compiles the list would need to know who posted which image.

Sounds good.
    Each picturelocation as one post and the index number ist relevant for voting?

edited December 1969

Is it possible to add a poll with about 260 lines?
    It says that you can add as many lines as you want.

edited December 1969

No it max-es out at 12

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...while hindsight, for the next one, maybe do what some other challenges have done in the past and have one thread designated exclusively for posting the entry submissions and another for comments and discussion.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I am really puzzled by some of the comments that suggest it is useful to post images to vote on without knowing who did them, since that cat is already out of the bag.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    I am really puzzled by some of the comments that suggest it is useful to post images to vote on without knowing who did them, since that cat is already out of the bag.

With over 250 entries; it would be hard to keep track of who entered which image (unless you have a good memory).
  • ISIKOLISIKOL Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

I feel a little bit responsible for the double posts mess, so yeah...if an admin could duplicate this topic and then delete the non relavent posts would be great!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Or even easier really. Someone with some time to spare could go through the thread and right click / copy image location and make a list of them..

OK, just finished the list.
    I got 253 entries and hope that I did not miss any.
    I listed them in the order they were uploaded which means, that I ignored any additional entries when the previous weren't marked as 'non-entry':
    So what shall I do do with the list, when I'm able to use my fingers again and my eyes stop hurting? ;)
    BTW... next time we (including myself) really should not post any non-entries or comments. It was a real pain going through the threat.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Or even easier really. Someone with some time to spare could go through the thread and right click / copy image location and make a list of them..

OK, just finished the list.
    I got 253 entries and hope that I did not miss any.
    I listed them in the order they were uploaded which means, that I ignored any additional entries when the previous weren't marked as 'non-entry':
    So what shall I do do with the list, when I'm able to use my fingers again and my eyes stop hurting? ;)
    BTW... next time we (including myself) really should not post any non-entries or comments. It was a real pain going through the threat.

Wow! Awesome work FroschGott!

If no one has any arguments about it, I think you should be able to just create a new thread with those images for the community voting to begin since that shouldn't really affect Stonemason's official separate judging. We can at least get that going ourselves then. Of course we also need to come up with the voting criteria first. I still think that at a minimum we should limit voting to participants only. It also ensures an easy assessment of who voted and no double voting.

Thoughts?

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,091
    edited April 2013

Geminii23 said:

If no one has any arguments about it, I think you should be able to just create a new thread with those images for the community voting to begin since that shouldn't really affect Stonemason's official separate judging. We can at least get that going ourselves then. Of course we also need to come up with the voting criteria first. I still think that at a minimum we should limit voting to participants only. It also ensures an easy assessment of who voted and no double voting.

Thoughts?

I think that's up to Stefan (Stonemason) to decide.

Post edited by 3WC on
  • StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...while hindsight, for the next one, maybe do what some other challenges have done in the past and have one thread designated exclusively for posting the entry submissions and another for comments and discussion.

wishing i'd done that to start with :\

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160
    edited December 1969

I did find a couple online galleries that had similar options to what we need but I'm not comfortable uploading other peoples images to a public gallery, everything really needs to stay in the DAZ forum
    so ...I'm leaning towards just using this thread for voting and also supplying a link to download all the images I have (170mb .zip) ,each image is named after the person posting it,

or alternatively ..
    I need someone with a lot of free time :)
    I'll give them a few free models from my store...if they'll upload to a new thread all the images and name each uploaded image after it's creator....is anyone up for that?...I'd guess it'll take 2 or 3 hours to get everything uploaded, depending on your connection speed

I'll let you guys discuss this another day before doing one of the other..

btw,I've already done my personal voting and have my winners.

thanks
    Stefan

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

I have some free time, i can upload the images if you like

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

I did find a couple online galleries that had similar options to what we need but I'm not comfortable uploading other peoples images to a public gallery, everything really needs to stay in the DAZ forum
    so ...I'm leaning towards just using this thread for voting and also supplying a link to download all the images I have (170mb .zip) ,each image is named after the person posting it,

or alternatively ..
    I'll give them a few free models from my store...if they'll upload to a new thread all the images and name each uploaded image after it's creator....is anyone up for that?...I'd guess it'll take 2 or 3 hours to get everything uploaded, depending on your connection speed

thanks
    Stefan

Not that I can help out but the second option sounds best to me.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I also prefer the new thread idea. I'd offer to do it, but LycanthropeX has beat me to it.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Stefan has made his choice now so I am happy to wade through the pages like I have already done. No need for another thread IMHO

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

or alternatively ..

thanks
    Stefan

Guess I am a little late here, but I have plenty of time during the day to help out. Just let me know.

edited December 1969

or alternatively ..

thanks
    Stefan

That's why I made the list containing the links. :)
    You do not want the original titles, but name 1, name 2?
    If nobody else is involved in the new threat, I would do it.
    Maybe you can contact me via PM?