Pose Preset- How Exactly Does That Work?

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited December 1969 in New Users

Okay, found all kinds of weird stuff with Google search and forum search, but nothing that will help if I do a video tutorial on this, so help me out (again, as usual, yada yada yada.)

When you pose a character with morphs all set (Figure A) and then Save As>Pose Preset
1. What is actually saved- the Genesis figure or FIgure A with all the morphs?

2. If you want to apply that pose to Figure B, how do you do that? Have Fig. B in the viewport (loaded) and then apply the Pose Preset from Figure A?

Also, FYI, since talking about posing, here's the only thread that came up. It's been buried so for brand new newbies: a thread on a posing product. It's got YouTube videos too.

PoseMaster
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6445/
http://www.daz3d.com/posemaster-for-daz-studio

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your really talking about two different things here. A pose is not a morph, it is how the figures BONES have been moved to get it into a none default T pose. A Pose Preset only moves the Bones and Bone Nodes (fancy name for BASE of the location) to a different X,Y,Z position in 3D coordinates. The mesh is mapped to the Bones and Nodes so it Deforms (bends) to follow the bones as they are moved.

To apply a Pose Preset to any figure you select the Figure in the Scene tab and Just Double click the preset Icon. Some presets will MOVE the figure back to the World Center 0,0,0, in the X,Y,Z system and others will move the Figures default NODE from the center of the Figure. There are ways around this.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

My bad! So it should read "with the pose set or setup" Sorry 'bout that.
    Is there a thread about the way around the 000 placement? That way you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

edited April 2013

Yes and EASY, when saving a Pose Preset just turn off the X,Y,Z Translate Options if Using the PFE (Poser Format Exporter). DS4 and DS4.5 do not save those any longer (EDIT:I'm wrong. But have not FOUND them yet). If Loading a OLDER Pose preset that moves your Figure or any that moves your Figure just hold down the Ctrl key (Sorry, I do not know the Mac key) as you Double click the Pose file. A Popup will open, turn off all the Translate options in the popup. Only the pose will apply and not the movement.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

OKAY I found it in DS4. When Saving a Pose Preset expand the Figure, Under General find Transforms open it Translations needs to be OFF for the pose Preset to NOT move the selected Figure when the Pose is Applied.

Pose.PNG
    485 x 755 - 59K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Are you sitting down? ARE YOU? I did it! You are brilliant!!!
    How did you know this? Are you a secret DAZ programmer? Fess up.

Just to baby step this- To make this a bit clearer to absolute newbies, the screen he is showing you is what pops up after you go to File>Save As>Pose Preset. You don't have to go searching for it. When he says "expand" its those white arrows arrows (start with the one by Genesis.) Click on them and the dropdowns start appearing.

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Are you sitting down? ARE YOU? I did it! You are brilliant!!!
    How did you know this? Are you a secret DAZ programmer? Fess up.
    Opps.. I went to sleep before I saw this one. Great going, glad to have helped a little.

I'm just another User like you but I've been around the block a few years so I picked up a tip or two along the way. I started with DS2.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Jaderail is always very helpful, even if his avatar makes him look mean :-)

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Yes and EASY, when saving a Pose Preset just turn off the X,Y,Z Translate Options if Using the PFE (Poser Format Exporter). DS4 and DS4.5 do not save those any longer (EDIT:I'm wrong. But have not FOUND them yet). If Loading a OLDER Pose preset that moves your Figure or any that moves your Figure just hold down the Ctrl key (Sorry, I do not know the Mac key) as you Double click the Pose file. A Popup will open, turn off all the Translate options in the popup. Only the pose will apply and not the movement.

Does holding the CTL key still supposed to bring up the dialog box to turn off translations in DS 4.6.2.xx when applying older poses? I tried holding down the CTL key while double clicking the pose preset, but no dialog box pops.

This was a great feature. Perhaps the shortcut key has been changed.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

chorse said:
    Jaderail said:

Does holding the CTL key still supposed to bring up the dialog box to turn off translations in DS 4.6.2.xx when applying older poses? I tried holding down the CTL key while double clicking the pose preset, but no dialog box pops.

This was a great feature. Perhaps the shortcut key has been changed.

Are these .pz2 or DS format?

• chorsechorse Posts: 163
    edited March 2014

@fixmypcmike - Poser .pz2 files. I see, the CTL + Double Click works with ds formatted poses. Unfortunately 95% of my pose sets (and those sold) seem to be in poser format. Is there a way to batch convert them to ds format?

Post edited by chorse on