"This program is not commonly downloaded and can harm your computer"

walterw.bakerwalterw.baker Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in New Users

Hello. I tried searching the forums and did not see this addressed. When downloading anything from my store purchase, I receive the above warning message. My computer is running Windows 7 64 bit and avast! Antivirus, which also tells me "The publisher of this program couldn't be verified." When downloading the free version of Bryce 7, it told me "Bryce 7.(w/e it is) is not a valid Win32 operation and may damage your computer." The publisher of this also cannot be verified.

The free copies of D|S 4 P and Hexagon seem to have downloaded fine and without any warnings.

Are the warnings because Avast has some problem with the files, or are these related to the DAZ store restoration?

Post edited by walterw.baker on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Someone else around here has had issues with Avast and Daz downloads. They are false positives and need to be reported to Avast's support.

• walterw.bakerwalterw.baker Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you for that - have only had Avast for about a week and these are the only downloads with the warning. :)

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited June 2012

There are 4 downloads for Bryce 7 Pro, namely: Bryce 7 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro Lighting, Bryce 7 Pro Content and Bryce 7 Pro Materials. I'm assuming that the download you are having a problem with is the Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe file, and not the Lighting, Content or Materials downloads.

Just for the heck of it, I just reset my download for Bryce 7 Pro to my Win7 Pro 64-bit laptop with no problem at all. I currently have Norton's 360 as my AntiVirus/Malware protection on my relatively new laptop, and after the download was finished, it popped a little window that said the file was fine. I am currently running several 32-bit software apps of all kinds without any problems on this laptop, so it may very well be your Avast software, though I've heard from friends of mine it's quite good, so not sure why it would be complaining about the Bryce download.

Edited to add: I see Vaskania posted while I was typing that there have been known problems with Avast and DAZ downloads. Glad to see it wasn't a corrupted file.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    There are 4 downloads for Bryce 7 Pro, namely: Bryce 7 Pro, Bryce 7 Pro Lighting, Bryce 7 Pro Content and Bryce 7 Pro Materials. I'm assuming that the download you are having a problem with is the Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe file, and not the Lighting, Content or Materials downloads.

Yes, although it was the only thing that downloaded, so I am not sure if I need to get those other 3 also.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I was attracted to this thread because of the very specific wording in the title.

That "warning" is an IE9 message that is part of the Smartscreen Filter that is turned on by default and pretty much any .exe file download will trigger it.

Basically, what happens is that all downloads initiated through IE9 are compared to a Microsoft maintained database. If the file has a "good" reputation, it is passed automatically. If it comes from a known malware site, it is blocked automatically. If it does not come from a known malware site but has no "reputation", then it pops up this message.

I don't know what it takes to establish a "reputation" but, I don't think I have ever gotten more than a handful of .exe installers that didn't pop up that message.

I can't speak to any Avast messages but that particular message on the download bar is courtesy of IE9 Smartscreen Filter.

edited December 1969

Thank you for that. I have been checking the Avast message boards and hav not seen anything directly related to Daz, but there are a few general tips on what to do if I think I have a false positive. Since I am in no hurry to use my new toys, I will wait a few days and scan them again avter Avast has added a few updates of its own. If I still have a problem, I will send them to Avast and let them sort it out for me. :-\

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Be forewarned, much more than just Bryce 7 is causing false positves. I'm getting Reports on CLEAN DAZ content. Mostly from items that use the Last installers. I run a file check after the file is downloaded and it passes. For some reason the Download scanners in Avast and Norton will give fasle positives and even deleat or Quarintine some files. They will pass a FULL scan. I've not had any issues with DAZ, and My system scans clean at this time.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I agree with Gone--it's an IE 9 message that pops on *.exe file. I get it all the time and just ignore it. I don't use Avast.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I come in and agree with all that has been said.

For some reason the latest upgrade of Avasts has gone into "Paranoia" mode and is throwing up a stupid amount of False positives, either on DOwnload, or on install. I have actually had false postives on trying to run a file that I made on the previous version, using a progrm that has been installed on the PC from a CD and not a download. I ask you?,

This one BTW was on my Microsoft Office, when trying to open a MS word file.. Others have had false positives from Adobe files (photoshop),

It is rapidly getting to the stgae that Avast is becoming unusable as an AV program, unless they do something to sort this problem out.

In most intstances of false positives like this, if you wit a while when it throws up the alert, you chould get a drop down box which will then give you an option to proceed anyway. I always take this option.

It may help also to try downloading using a different Browser. If you are using IE, then try downloading with FireFox or Chrome.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

HEADSUP

Have just had someone post in another thread about this issue with Avast, and it appears that Avast has finally done something about the problem. He says that after todays Avast update the problem has gone away.

So if you don't have Avast set to automatically update itself then I suggest you go to the Avast site and download the latest version.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Be forewarned, much more than just Bryce 7 is causing false positves. I'm getting Reports on CLEAN DAZ content. Mostly from items that use the Last installers. I run a file check after the file is downloaded and it passes. For some reason the Download scanners in Avast and Norton will give fasle positives and even deleat or Quarintine some files. They will pass a FULL scan. I've not had any issues with DAZ, and My system scans clean at this time.

This is exactly what happened to me, and I did a scan of the downloads folder with all of the .exe files afterwards - nothing detected.