Which Surface When Using Genesis/Victoria 5, UV Maps, Textures, What Comes With 4.5

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited April 2013 in New Users

Okay, if I have Genesis and am using basic female, Victoria 5, supermodel, voluptuous- in Surfaces tab, what is the difference in selecting Genesis, or selecting Victoria 5 for the UV set?

And because I am using Caitlyn, I don't remember if there is a default shader included (is that the right word, or is it texture map?) for Genesis/ Victoria 5. I went to Smart Content>Products>Materials> and all I could find was "Simple Skin." When I try to add it by double clicking Genesis does a quick jumping jack! (just what I need, a naked woman doing athletics.)

So how do I put skin on Gen? (couldn't resist) When I do the tutorials, I don't want people to have to buy anything to follow along, so I can't use Caitlyn, and I have so much loaded I can't remember what came with the studio originally, but I know Genesis Essentials did.

EDIT: changing title so people can read about UV maps, textures, etc

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Do you understand what UVmaps are? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping
    Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO28vRt7hqo&list=UU38T95wHAxyCrOO6b1tD7Nw&index=30 you will see why changing the UVmap setting can help with making sure the texture maps are correctly align and has minimal stretching.

So V5 being an extra morph of Genesis base it will have a slightly different and tailor made uvmap, same with the Gorilla, M5 etc etc.

As for V5 mat presets did you look in the Surafces Pane in Preset view mode with Genesis selected?

Not sure what is happening with the excited Geneisis when loading the Simple Skin which I am presuming is a texture map based shader, can't check right now.

As for loading the skin texture mat presets it is the same with them all, select the figure and double click on the preset icon or drag and drop on the the figure itself.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I wasnt sure what all those were in the presets in the surfaces- with Genesis selected, some of the ones labeled Materials are
    Sample Jeremy-No Gen, Sample Lana- No Gen (what on earth does that mean?)

I'm still trying to figure out what came with the studio- these presets appear to have content that I have loaded (looks like Benjamin, Tori, etc)

Anyway, thanks for the links, I had read some stuff but it was several weeks ago. Will review but question on what to click to get V5 going here, with content that was provided. Yes, the jumping jack is WEIRD, but I dont know if that is even something I'm supposed to use anyway.
    Gotta get some sleep, too tired- going on 5am here. Thanks Szark, will see what I can figure out and get back on later.

edited December 1969

Sample Jeremy-No Gen, Sample Lana- No Gen (what on earth does that mean?)
    Jeremy and Lana are Elite skin texture maps (search the store for more info about them) The were made for the Gen 4 figures, M and V4 and these ones are at a reduced resolution hence the word "Sample" and No Gen means no Genital maps are provided.

And I have found where V5 mat presets are hiding. Both can be found in either Smart Content and Surfaces Pane as shown below.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,193
    edited December 1969

By default you can use maps made for Victoria 4, Michael 4 and the Kids 4 on Genesis. If you have Victoria 5 you can also use Victoria 5 maps. DAZ Studio presets, new ones, will apply the correct UV set for you but older items, and Poser material files without DS settings, won't - for those you need to know which figure the set was made for and select its mapping in the UV Set drop down in the Surfaces pane - generally you can select all surfaces and change them en masse, unless you are mixing and matching.

I think Simple Skin may be a Shader Mixer example, or even a Shader Builder example, though I don't know why it would make the figure move.

edited December 1969

though I don't know why it would make the figure move.
    perhaps it tickles
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Short and Simple UV tut: The UV MAP is what is used to make a Texture to be applied to the surface of a Mesh. The V4 and V5 Shapes are just a little bit different meaning the Textures are just that little bit different. If you wish to use a TEXTURE for a V4 figure you would select the Default V4 UV on genesis even on a V5 shape. The V5 UV is auto loaded for MOST if not all V5 only textures sold here at Daz3D.

edited April 2013

My brain hurts......

yep in a cheeky mood today

Post edited by Szark on
    edited April 2013

Jaderail said:
    Short and Simple UV tut: The UV MAP is what is used to make a Texture to be applied to the surface of a Mesh. The V4 and V5 Shapes are just a little bit different meaning the Textures are just that little bit different. If you wish to use a TEXTURE for a V4 figure you would select the Default V4 UV on genesis even on a V5 shape. The V5 UV is auto loaded for MOST if not all V5 only textures sold here at Daz3D.

That puts it nicely- I'm following, between you and everyone else's input. My basic question is this- I have V5 selected as the UV Map, to apply a texture (a character such as Caitlyn) I have already done before, so no problem with any of that (obviously, as I rendered Kaetl using the Caitlyn)

What I can't discern from all this is what a typical person would have at their fingertips when they load DS (DAZ Studio) so that in a tutorial they can load a skin texture onto Genesis once I show them (for Video 3) where the morph sliders, etc are to change the body and face. I am trying to avoid requiring them to buy anything, such as Caitlyn- so that's why I was asking what (is this the correct term) texture map came with Genesis for V5. If I set the UV to Victoria 5, I understand that all the options for characters I have will appear in the Surfaces tab- were any defaults that came with DS? (And I'm going back and reading again what you all wrote, in case I'm just missing it. Wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last. But hey, at least I'm persistent, right?

EDIT: Can you clarify what the difference is between a "material" and a "texture map" or "texture?" In the diagram above showing the presets, the term "material presets" was used so I need to get a grip on the difference.

Post edited by Novica on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,300
    edited December 1969

V5's UVs only comes with the V5 morph so it would require a purchase, I think that Genesis comes with the basic Genesis UV and M4 and V4 and K4 UV's as well as basic textures for a female a male and a child, or any texture set for these UV's would work. Reciecup has some nice free ones.
    http://rendercandy.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=11

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A "material" is a collection of settings which affect how a mesh looks. It includes settings for diffuse; specular; ambient; reflection; bump & displacement and opacity/transparancy. A texture map is a texture applied to one of those settings (usually the diffuse setting.

Gemesis Starter Essentials includes textures for the Basic Male; Female & Child as well as the sample Jeremy & Lana textures.

edited December 1969

Thanks to both of you :) What I did, due to being curious, is explore (in Surfaces) the Presets>Materials tab, and all I have are Tori, Benjamin, Gabi, etc. I do have Genesis selected of course.

So then I tried just Materials>Skin, and have Sample Child (all these No Gen, which does NOT mean Genesis like dummy me first thought. So glad others are learning from ME asking these no brainers, lol) The Sample Jeremy and Lana are the only other options shown. And their wetsuits.

Hey, sample child looks good. I don't have the basic female or male showing. If I got find the Essentials I think I recall those being there.

Here's my next brilliant question- if I have V5 UV selected, but the character Genesis is selected in the Scene, is that why I am getting a Jeremy (guy) option and not just Lana (female)?

Sheesh, the more I understand, the deeper I get into "...um, so why...?"

edited April 2013

I'm not following this one. You have the V5 UV selected as the UV on genesis and? It really does not matter which UV set you have selected on Genesis you should still get all your Textures listed for genesis, male or female. DS does not stop you from using any texture just by selecting a UV on Genesis. DS will happily let you load any of them even if they do not fit to the selected UV.

And for Textures the Sample Jeremy and Lana are the Basic Male and Female textures that come with DS. No Basic Male Textures are or Basic Female by those names are supplied with DS.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited April 2013

When I type in Genesis Essentials with Presets and Materials selected, the same Lana, Jeremy samples, basic child comes up. So I am going to assume those are indeed the freebies that come with DS 4.5, right? I can tell people in the video to go to the basic child and load up- but here's where I am ROLLING my eyes, more questions-

Apparently I don't have V5 loaded yet, it was V4. So why am I able to select the Victoria 5 in the body morphs? (Parameters) I have the Supermodel, Voluptuous, V5, Basic Female.

(Sorry Jaderail, will read yours- we are posting about the same time, maybe you answered this)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Okay, so you answered about the Lana and Jeremy, those are the basic male and female. Thanks!
    So the only outstanding question is if someone doesn't have V5 loaded, they will still get the morph option over in Parameters for the body? Because I did.

edited December 1969

Genesis will always list ALL the Genesis figure Morphs you own in the Parameters tab no matter which UV is selected. It is supposed to do that so you can dial in a little bit of this figure and a little bit of that figure to create your own figures with the morphs you have.

edited April 2013

Knew that- but what I'm confused with- I do NOT have V5 loaded, so how would it know that I "have" it?

EDIT: Ignore that. In Products>People it is showing Victoria 5 and Caitlyn. That is in the Smart Content. I couldn’t find it earlier, so must’ve just been me. Also found it in My Library>People>Genesis>Victoria 5 - so I am all set with that explanation.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited April 2013

Appreciate the help, folks, as always. :)
    Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Okay, decided to add this to my Art Studio thread for newbies- and loaded all three so folks could compare basic child, Lana, and Jeremy. The thread is in my signature, if you want just this thread's info/images, jump in at post 26. And thanks again to those who contributed, I made sure to note it and post your contribution so people on that thread could get your wisdom. Trying to get it all in one place. :)

edited December 1969

I'm a Art Studio freak. Been watching your thread. Good tips for NU's.

edited December 1969

Good tips- only because of you, Szark, Totte,Scott-L, Richard, the list goes on. Appreciate all of you SO very much. I may be PM'ing you to run the dialog past you that will be in videos to make sure it's straight, since it takes so much time to do the videos and then load them. (If you have time. It's actually not much verbage to read because most of the video is slow mouse movements.) Video 3 almost done, it's doing the basic body and face morphs in Parameters, then setting UV, etc.

If you have anything to add to the info over there, please do. You know so much!

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    You know so much!
    Oh you don't tell him that...there'll be no living with Jaderail now. :P
    edited December 1969

Well.... I'll be PM'ing you too, of course....

If you've seen the videos, I have the credits at the end where I put the contributors from the DAZ forums. Folks outside the forums won't recognize the names if they are just YouTubers, but I think it's important that credit is given. And if someone's name is in the credits, the video has to be right in its entirety. So far it's just been simple stuff.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Very good question, I'll have to read through this thread. Took the thoughts right out of my mind, Lol !!