Looking for guidance on Owlman...

ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
edited April 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

So, to get back into 3D hard, I've decided to create the entire Crime Syndicate of America only using what I've bought here at Daz (Carrara 8 pro, Hexagon, Daz3d Studio 4.5 pro) and my first project is Owlman. I know I want to use Hexagon for light modeling (like his crest and belt buckle), but how would I approach the mask. Would I import a morphed M4 or M5 head into Hexagon and modeling around it or free wheel it without the M4 or M5 head?

Again, I'm ONLY interested in using Hexagon. I have no desire to use Zbrush or anything else (thus why I'm posting in the Hexagon thread). If you don't know who Owlman or what he looks like picture below.

Just looking for thoughts on how to do this within a pipeline that consists of just Daz3d Studio and Hexagon, I'll use Carrara for main scene creation later. :)

Thoughts, anyone?

Post edited by ScarletX1969 on

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    So, to get back into 3D hard, I've decided to create the entire Crime Syndicate of America only using what I've bought here at Daz (Carrara 8 pro, Hexagon, Daz3d Studio 4.5 pro) and my first project is Owlman. I know I want to use Hexagon for light modeling (like his crest and belt buckle), but how would I approach the mask. Would I import a morphed M4 or M5 head into Hexagon and modeling around it or free wheel it without the M4 or M5 head?

Again, I'm ONLY interested in using Hexagon. I have no desire to use Zbrush or anything else (thus why I'm posting in the Hexagon thread). If you don't know who Owlman or what he looks like picture below.

Just looking for thoughts on how to do this within a pipeline that consists of just Daz3d Studio and Hexagon, I'll use Carrara for main scene creation later. :)

Thoughts, anyone?

Interesting problem...I'm not an expert, but I would try staring with a cylinder. To start with you would need at least 10 segments going around and maybe try 4 or 5 rows to begin with. Position it over the head and scale it to roughly the right side. You would need to remove polys for the open area at the front and also where they aren't needed at the back and other spots. When it's roughly the right overall shape, start positioning it to give you the final detail. I'd use edge extraction to add in extra polys where needed just be careful you don't create any ngons.

Hopefully someone with more expertise than I will be able to provide more insight.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

If using a Genesis or other figure then getting the Owlman form correct would be my first task, then the facial features, Hexagon will naturally fit in once the base shape is done, modelling his gear and morphing should be fairly smooth going once the new base Owlman shape is brought over from Daz.
    Keep us posted this looks like a fun project.

edited December 1969

If using a Genesis or other figure then getting the Owlman form correct would be my first task, then the facial features, Hexagon will naturally fit in once the base shape is done, modelling his gear and morphing should be fairly smooth going once the new base Owlman shape is brought over from Daz.

Personally I would model it on the base Genesis figure and then create a morph for the Owlman form. Be careful whichever option you choose that you remember to adjust the scaling on the Genesis figure you export to 100% otherwise you will have problems when you bring your mask in to DS and fit it to the figure.

edited December 1969

Hi Pen, sounds good, what are the benefits doing it that way?

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

The costume I'm just going to use the World's Finest costumer from Daz I bought with ear-less cowl morph. Owlman can almost be any male morph on genesis. For the cape, I'm going to build the texture in Photoshop and MAT it to the cape. The belt I have. The wrist and calf gauntlets I have also can probably model as well as the crest and belt buckle in Hexagon.

That helmet like mask though, that's going to be the interesting part. Okay, the model is not going to look like the drawing style wise. LOL!

edited April 2013

Looking around there are many incarnations of old owly I rather like the fun of the original sort of owl head hat, satirically stupid in contrast to Batman's seriously scary :) so style wise you have an open day. I find that by positioning primitives around to match the shape of what is being modelled helps a little if only to get an idea of shape and form.
    If you can, keep it simple.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited December 1969

Hi Pen, sounds good, what are the benefits doing it that way?

Using the basic genesis allows you to use default settings when using the transfer utility instead of having to remember to use the setting Reverse Source Shape from Target. Also if you model on the base genesis it's my opinion that it would probably have less distortion when fitting it to other shapes.

To help keep it distortion free also pay attention the edges and the detail by increasing the mesh density in those areas.

Please remember this is my opinion and others may have different ways that they would do things. This is just what I've found works for me.

edited December 1969

This is just to show how it could be done and is very rough as I've only spent 10mins on it.

I started with a cylinder. Positioned it and increased the scale on the x and z axis so it fit the head.

Removed some of the polys and started shifting things to add some detail.

owlmanproofofconcept.jpg
    756 x 906 - 214K
  • ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    This is just to show how it could be done and is very rough as I've only spent 10mins on it.

I started with a cylinder. Positioned it and increased the scale on the x and z axis so it fit the head.

Okay this seems interesting, I'll give that a shot. I'm fairly new to Hexagon and this will help. I'll post progress as I do it.

edited December 1969

dsexton72 said:
    Pendraia said:

Okay this seems interesting, I'll give that a shot. I'm fairly new to Hexagon and this will help. I'll post progress as I do it.

Cool...I had a thought about the white sections and I'll have a try later this morning and post it if it works. Unfortunately didn't save what I did initially.