DS Atmospheric Effects cameras - question

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Does the Atmospheric Effect Cameras for DS work in DS 4.5?

http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio

and if they do, is there a user guide? the one that is in DS isn't working when I click on it.

Comments

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jakiblue said:
    Does the Atmospheric Effect Cameras for DS work in DS 4.5?

http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio

and if they do, is there a user guide? the one that is in DS isn't working when I click on it.

Short n sweet; yes they do and there's a link to the user guide (pdf) in the product description.

Hope this helps

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

aha!! thank you! i totally missed that link! :D

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

yes it works great in DAZ 4.5

Sexy-Beast.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 212K
  • FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 881
    edited December 1969

Nothing substantial to add...but...grab it, it`s a great product imo. The fogs alone are worth having it.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

OMG! Is that a preview of Vicky 6?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

OMG! Is that a preview of Vicky 6?

Too Sexy! ;)

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    edited December 1969

Oh my Vicky, what big hands you have!
    I was looking at those camera's too, I like the depth map camera personally, but the fogs are a nice thing.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited April 2013

i was tempted by the fog effects, and as its on special offer i couldn't resist it. i have to say i am astounded at what can be achieved just by cameras! this adds an entire new dimension to my renders. definitely worth getting, and has opened up a whole new area for me.

oh, and there is a link to the user guide within DS once you install the product - it is in the folder with the cameras.

Post edited by nightkin on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited April 2013

nightkin said:
    i was tempted by the fog effects, and as its on special offer i couldn't resist it. i have to say i am astounded at what can be achieved just by cameras! this adds an entire new dimension to my renders. definitely worth getting, and has opened up a whole new area for me.

oh, and there is a link to the user guide within DS once you install the product - it is in the folder with the cameras.

...just be careful when using the Volumetric camera with content that relies transmaps (see below) to hide parts as the full outline will appear. I used the JeanZ for V4 set to the "short" shorts. If you look closely, you can see the outline of the full length leggings.

Otherwise it is a great tool that significantly saves on render time compared to "in scene" fog/atmospheric effects.

kaylee_volume.jpg
    800 x 800 - 339K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553
    edited December 1969

I'm curious about this product. Does it require postwork, or can the effects be all done within daz?

edited December 1969

..no postwork necessary.

edited April 2013

I'm curious about this product. Does it require postwork, or can the effects be all done within daz?

most of the effects do not require postwork at all, but one of the cameras is specifically designed to produce masks to be used for various effects within GIMP, photoshop, or PSP.
    Post edited by nightkin on
    edited December 1969

its going to take a bit of experimenting to get expert at this, but i'm already getting some interesting results - no post work on this - its all done with daz studio.

dalek_city.jpg
    961 x 725 - 377K
    edited December 1969

...nice volumetrics. makes things look just a bit more sinister.

Did this cute little "blast form the past" scene last night using the fog camera set to 600m

Reminds me of those hazy (smoggy) New York City days back then when "flower power" was in full bloom.

Used Cloud9 with the UberHelper light turned down by 25% to give it more the effect of filtered sunlight.

let_the_sun_shine_2.jpg
    884 x 884 - 641K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

So just out of curiosity, why are there "camera shaders" and not just shaders? Do they need to know the position of the camera to determine the density of the effect, or is it just easier or more effective to somehow tie it to the camera rather than being a volume shader of some kind?

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited April 2013

You misunderstand the concept of shaders. Sorry, tired atm so can't explain further.. hopefully someone else can, or I will later.

As a short... shaders don't just apply to laying down color, specularity information, they refer to pretty much anything in regards to light interaction in the scene. Thus, cameras fall into this pervue.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    You misunderstand the concept of shaders. Sorry, tired atm so can't explain further.. hopefully someone else can, or I will later.

As a short... shaders don't just apply to laying down color, specularity information, they refer to pretty much anything in regards to light interaction in the scene. Thus, cameras fall into this pervue.

Thanks for that tid bit Gedd. I hope you come back and explain shaders a little more :-)

edited December 1969

I admit I am having trouble understanding the volume camera. I can figure out the fog, and the other cameras but the tutorial I guess isn't clear to me how to set up a scene, it just seems to say what features the cameras have... Is there a tutorial that shows how to set up a scene from scratch so I may understand better the volume camera and how the cones of light are generated?

I like what the other artists have done to make a spotlight shine down, that is what I'm trying to do from a window. The tutorial says the cone effect is part of the camera but I admit I don't understand.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

i was surprised to learn that shaders can apply to cameras too - i thought they only applied to textures / materials on objects. i would appreciate a tutorial that goes in depth on this too.

as for getting the cone of light (known as god rays) this is achieved by turning up the light volume dial in the volume setting of the volume camera, but for it to be visible you have to turn down (or off) any distant lights, as the light from them are also amplified, and will flood the image. you can alter the cone shape by adjusting the spread angle of your spotlight.

these cameras with shaders are not "instant image" creators (though there are a set of presets you can use), but a tool that gives very good atmospheric effects that render relatively quickly. they are adjustable, so you have a great deal of control, and you will have to experiment quite a bit to learn how to get the exacy effect you want - but thats all part of the fun. sometimes you can get a surprise by randomly altering the parameters.

i'm still learning, and would love to see a tutorial, as the guide is pretty short and doesnt go into the tool in full depth.

but all in all, this is one of the best tools i have bought.

edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    i was surprised to learn that shaders can apply to cameras too - i thought they only applied to textures / materials on objects. i would appreciate a tutorial that goes in depth on this too.

as for getting the cone of light (known as god rays) this is achieved by turning up the light volume dial in the volume setting of the volume camera, but for it to be visible you have to turn down (or off) any distant lights, as the light from them are also amplified, and will flood the image. you can alter the cone shape by adjusting the spread angle of your spotlight.

these cameras with shaders are not "instant image" creators (though there are a set of presets you can use), but a tool that gives very good atmospheric effects that render relatively quickly. they are adjustable, so you have a great deal of control, and you will have to experiment quite a bit to learn how to get the exacy effect you want - but thats all part of the fun. sometimes you can get a surprise by randomly altering the parameters.

i'm still learning, and would love to see a tutorial, as the guide is pretty short and doesnt go into the tool in full depth.

but all in all, this is one of the best tools i have bought.

Thanks Nightkin. I will try this tonight when I have time. I admit lighting isn't my strong suit, but I saw the nice images in this thread and wanted to check it out. I think the purchase is worth it alone for the fog camera, however, I like to be able to understand a bit more how to achieve the nice effects. =-)

• StrixowlStrixowl Posts: 301
    edited April 2013

I admit I am having trouble understanding the volume camera. I can figure out the fog, and the other cameras but the tutorial I guess isn't clear to me how to set up a scene, it just seems to say what features the cameras have... Is there a tutorial that shows how to set up a scene from scratch so I may understand better the volume camera and how the cones of light are generated?

I like what the other artists have done to make a spotlight shine down, that is what I'm trying to do from a window. The tutorial says the cone effect is part of the camera but I admit I don't understand.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Totally agree. Love the tool, but the tutorial is lacking and a bit confusing.

Post edited by Strixowl on
    edited December 1969

this is a nice simple set to show how to get the god rays from the volume camera. I have loaded a simple cyclorama backdrop (but even a vertical wall would do) and created a primitive plane for a reflective floor. I loaded genesis with a female shape, and a few clothes, then chose a nice pose. the only lights in the scene are two spotlights - one above Genesis and slightly to one side, then angled downwards. I viewed the scene through the spotlight, and then rotated and zoomed to get the light pointing where i wanted. I made the angle quite narrow, and made the light fairly intense.

the other spotlight is on the floor and angled upwards , with a low intensity and tinted so as to simulate light reflected from the shiny floor.

Now for the camera. I loaded the Volume camera, set the light density pretty high (.0046), and set the volume density at .0021. I also set the quality high, because otherwise it will look somewhat grainy. I set the cameras color to yellow - but thats just a matter of personal choice.

if you follow those steps, you should get the same effects. if there is too much light, try reducing the intensity of the spots.

pose.jpg
    962 x 725 - 222K
  • edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    this is a nice simple set to show how to get the god rays from the volume camera. I have loaded a simple cyclorama backdrop (but even a vertical wall would do) and created a primitive plane for a reflective floor. I loaded genesis with a female shape, and a few clothes, then chose a nice pose. the only lights in the scene are two spotlights - one above Genesis and slightly to one side, then angled downwards. I viewed the scene through the spotlight, and then rotated and zoomed to get the light pointing where i wanted. I made the angle quite narrow, and made the light fairly intense.

the other spotlight is on the floor and angled upwards , with a low intensity and tinted so as to simulate light reflected from the shiny floor.

Now for the camera. I loaded the Volume camera, set the light density pretty high (.0046), and set the volume density at .0021. I also set the quality high, because otherwise it will look somewhat grainy. I set the cameras color to yellow - but thats just a matter of personal choice.

if you follow those steps, you should get the same effects. if there is too much light, try reducing the intensity of the spots.

That's a great tutorial - thanks!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Act quickly! AoA Atmospheric Effects is on sale at a super price.

AoA_Atmosphereic.JPG
    855 x 592 - 67K
    edited December 1969

...definitely worth every penny.

edited December 1969

it even works in cartoon mode. i was surprised by that myself.

shower_toon.jpg
    962 x 689 - 313K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Act quickly! AoA Atmospheric Effects is on sale at a super price.
    When I went to the page, it said $8.97, not $4.49.
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Still shows $4.49 for me. I am a PC member. Don't know if that matters, since this is not a DAZ original.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Still shows $4.49 for me. I am a PC member. Don't know if that matters, since this is not a DAZ original.
    I would say, being a PC is the reason. I'm not a PC member.