How do you add new skins and textuers to already made models

edited December 1969 in New Users

I am just looking for some answers. I have Photoshop, I am just wondering how to add a new skin to my elephant model. I have know Idea how to do it? Any help would be great. Please and thank you
--Ivory Elephant Productions

Comments

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited June 2012

hi ! :)

There are several ways to go about "skinning" a model. Since you mentioned having Photoshop, I am assuming that you are interested in creating a new texture rather than just change the surface settings, so I would first need to have a bit more information in order you help you.

1. What software are you going to be rendering your model? Daz Studio/ Poser/ Other??
    2. Did you get the model of the elephant here? If yes, you can obtain a UV map (useful in Photoshop)
    3. Do you know what a UV map is? Do you have one for the elephant you want to "reskin"?

I'll see if I can help you. :)

Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • edited December 1969

There are several ways to go about "skinning" a model. Since you mentioned having Photoshop, I am assuming that you are interested in creating a new texture rather than just change the surface settings, so I would first need to have a bit more information in order you help you.

1. What software are you going to be rendering your model? Daz Studio/ Poser/ Other??
    2. Did you get the model of the elephant here? If yes, you can obtain a UV map (useful in Photoshop)
    3. Do you know what a UV map is? Do you have one for the elephant you want to "reskin"?

I have DAZ 4 Pro
    I got the elephant model from here. I have know Idea what a UV map is. Still trying to figure out the program. I am trying to get this down so I can apply it to the baby elephant model so I can use them in my 3D circus I am working on, I am also trying to figure out how to make props too. If you can help me with that that would rock. Thank you for the reply.

-Seth
    Ivory elephant Productions

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I have DAZ 4 Pro
    I got the elephant model from here. I have know Idea what a UV map is. Still trying to figure out the program. I am trying to get this down so I can apply it to the baby elephant model so I can use them in my 3D circus I am working on, I am also trying to figure out how to make props too. If you can help me with that that would rock. Thank you for the reply.

-Seth

Oh be sure to nab the Columbian Mammoth while it's still free!

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/columbian-mammoth/

On the main product pages for the elephants under "Resource Files" there's the template files to download.
    Those will install the templates 'anywhere you want to put them' on your computer.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/african-elephant/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/baby-elephant/

Basically these templates show where on the page to put the details for the textures to apply correctly on the models. Allow a little extra for 'seam allowance' ;-)

To make props, nab a copy of Hexagon while it's free too.

edited December 1969

Sorry to take so long to get back to you.... my life leaves me only sporadic and confusing time gaps...lol

Anyway.... to begin...

1. Go to the Product page for the Elephant you bought and scroll down to the bottom of the page where it says Resource Files
    You will find the UV templates for either Mac or Windows...make sure you get the right ones. :)

help3.jpg
    639 x 800 - 168K
    edited June 2012

2. After you unpack the UV maps to someplace where you can find them... they should open in Photoshop where you can use them as guides to paint your own texture.

3. Once you have created your texture in Photoshop, save it as a .jpg (someplace you can find it...lol)

4. Open up Daz Studio and load your elephant into the scene. Make sure you have it selected in the Scene tab.

5. You will need to navigate to the surfaces tab in Daz Studio. You can find it in the Daz Studio Title bar under:
    Windows\Tabs\Surfaces

6. Under the Surfaces Tab, you can open the tree for your figure and see all the "parts" that make up the "skinnable areas" of your figure.

7. Clicking the tiny image thumbnail in the Diffuse Color tab on the right will allow you to apply your new texture you made

Now this is a very SHORT simple answer so if you still have questions, please let me know...and GOOD LUCK!! :) .

help_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 351K
    Post edited by JasmineSkunk on
  • solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

I have DAZ 4 Pro

-Seth

Oh be sure to nab the Columbian Mammoth while it's still free!

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/columbian-mammoth/

On the main product pages for the elephants under "Resource Files" there's the template files to download.
    Those will install the templates 'anywhere you want to put them' on your computer.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/african-elephant/
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/baby-elephant/

Basically these templates show where on the page to put the details for the textures to apply correctly on the models. Allow a little extra for 'seam allowance' ;-)

To make props, nab a copy of Hexagon while it's free too.

Thank you for posting your info and thread links in your signature. Very helpful to us newbies. :-)
    (You might add this one to the list too.)
    Thanks.