Laura3 morph for Aiko3?

PtropePtrope Posts: 679
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Has anyone done this? Created a morph to set Aiko3's head to the same physiognomy as Laura3, to then make her workable with some of the character morphs available for Laura (or just use Laura's head as-is)? I like Laura's head much better than the 'realistic' Aiko head, but the current option is to try to parent Laura's body to Aiko, usually at the neck, and make all of her invisible below the neck, while making Aiko's head and eyes invisible, but the necks don't match up.

I've tried exporting Laura's head as a morph target, but because of the difference in their heights, the head descends down into her chest. The vertices are compatible - they're just wayyyy too offset to use.

Any suggestions? Any successes out there that someone has shared already? Thanks! (BTW, if this has been accomplished with V3, instead, that would be a useable option, too)

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

There used to be a product called shape shifter that would let you do this with the Gen3 characters.

If you can't find it you can do this (Poser instructions, the same should be do-able in DS but I don't know how)

Export Laura's head as a wavefront object.

Load Aiko

Select Aiko's head

import the laura head obj as a morph (The old style morph)

If the head is too far out of place, move it with a big magnet.

If there is too much distortion in the neck, you can try repeating the steps with the neck or you can play around with magnets to adjust it
    Or just hide it with a collar.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Laura 3 is really based off of David 3, so you'd be better off using that to convert.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited April 2013

I'm not really sure what the relevance of using David 3 would be, since the goal is to create a more realistic head for Aiko.

I've checked out the ShapeShifter thread here on DAZ, and went to PhilC's site, but haven't located the script, yet. In the meantime, I did pretty much exactly as pwiecek described: after a couple of abortive attempts at exporting Laura's head as a morph and getting some really unusable results (the difference in their heights means Laura's head ends up in Aiko's chest, even with exporting it as a morph target only), I loaded Laura along with Aiko and lined up their heads in the scene as closely as possible, then exported Laura's head as a regular OBJ, and loaded that as a morph target. Since I wanted to use Aiko's realistic body, and I don't see any "realistic" morph control for Aiko's head alone, I set Aiko to realistic, then exported her head as a morph target. I also had to unhide the translation controls for Aiko's head, so I could adjust its location once the Laura morph was loaded, as there was some offset in both the Y- and Z-axes. I loaded the 'Aiko realistic' head morph, and after dialing the overall 'realistic' to 1.0, I dialed her head back to -1.0, and set the Laura head morph to 1.0. It looks pretty good, although Aiko's neck is still much too slender for Laura's head; I had to use a lot of magnetic manipulation to get it closer - it's still not perfect, but with hair, it's fairly unnoticeable.

AikoLaura_Morph003.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 116K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    I'm not really sure what the relevance of using David 3 would be, since the goal is to create a more realistic head for Aiko.

The relevance is what you can convert from. For some reason people think the Laura 3 is derived from V3 or another female Gen3 character; what it is is derived from has bearing on what morphs can easily be done from it. So, A3 won't take L3 morphs because how it is grouped and derived. Even with the script, you should be prepared to do some mesh repair.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Ahhhh, okay.

However, I've already used a couple of Laura morph sets on the 'Laiko' head and haven't seen any more problems than I would have expected, given that underneath, Aiko is is lurking ;). These were character morphs, though - I haven't tried loading Laura's standard features or expression controls.

Thanks for the info!

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited April 2013

Damn! Not bad! Now if only that could be done with Genesis, or can Gen X do that after the shagbag presented here?

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:

The relevance is what you can convert from. For some reason people think the Laura 3 is derived from V3 or another female Gen3 character; what it is is derived from has bearing on what morphs can easily be done from it. So, A3 won't take L3 morphs because how it is grouped and derived. Even with the script, you should be prepared to do some mesh repair.

There are only two gen 3 groupings - one for Michael 3 and the Freak, and one for all the other figures.

• fleetppfleetpp Posts: 199
    edited December 1969

Someone wrote a tutorial on how to put one character's head onto another character's body. I found a reference link, but the actual daz tutoirail seems to be gone.
    Here's the reference link.
    http://www.pxleyes.com/ext-tutorial/daz-studio/9911/Putting-One-Figure-s-Head-on-Another-s-Body.html
    And here's teh 'dead' daz link www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=2259&_m=d

If I remember, the process involved loading the character whose head you wanted to use (in this case Laura), zero the body pose, hide everything except the head, then save the visible head as a scene. Open a new empty scene, and load the character for the body you want to use (Aiko). Zero the body pose, then hide the head. Use file merge to bring the 'head only' file into the body only file.
    Position the head onto the body, then use the scene tab to parent the head to the neck.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

If it's just a matter of the head morphs, exporting Laura's head (in position for A3's head) should work. I've gotten Capsces' "Hitoro" morphs to work on Luke (but I may have transferred them from the D3 cr2, so you'd have to test it).

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2013

fleetpp said:
    Someone wrote a tutorial on how to put one character's head onto another character's body. I found a reference link, but the actual daz tutoirail seems to be gone.
    Here's the reference link.
    http://www.pxleyes.com/ext-tutorial/daz-studio/9911/Putting-One-Figure-s-Head-on-Another-s-Body.html
    And here's teh 'dead' daz link www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=2259&_m=d

If I remember, the process involved loading the character whose head you wanted to use (in this case Laura), zero the body pose, hide everything except the head, then save the visible head as a scene. Open a new empty scene, and load the character for the body you want to use (Aiko). Zero the body pose, then hide the head. Use file merge to bring the 'head only' file into the body only file.
    Position the head onto the body, then use the scene tab to parent the head to the neck.

WOOHOO!!

The mighty Wayback Machine comes through again

http://web.archive.org/web/20110224061551/http://www.daz3d.com/i/tutorial/tutorial?id=2259&_m=d

Unfortunately, no pictures

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Shapeshifter is a python based script. It will not work in DS at all and has issues with newer versions of Python.