End of March Madness Sale Thread

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited April 2013 in The Commons

The March Madness sale this year was a little bit odd. There were only a hand full of items I wanted to get that I could afford to get and was actually able to get. But I was able to save I think in total something like a hundred bucks or so. On the catch up sale I bought a few cute things for genesis. I am using Genesis a bit more now since Aiko 5 came out. I really love what she brought to the table. I think shes a perfect companion to Hitomi and with some work even Hiro 5. I still very much hope to see David hit the store and I really Daz to so something different for the girl 5 being that I really have not liked the previous incarnations of the girl. March Madness sale. I would like to know from you guys what you wanted to get but could not get.

I want to get the Skull Cove Complete, that thing is just nast looking so cool and perfect for a few sets of renders that I want to do. I was how ever able to get AlienZ From Dreamlight and Return to the enchanted forest from Stone mason. I am very happy with both.

Let me know you guys thought and what you got and stuff thank

Thank to every one who will be participating in this thread in advanced.

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on

Comments

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited April 2013

I actually bought a lot, mostly in DAZ store and a bit over at Rendo. From DAZ I bought a variety of things - LAMH, Luxus, Bot for Genesis, Rawart´s Ponies, new clothes for Genesis (Princess Asia, some of the Real Feel attire), also older clothes for V4, some hair, several sets of poses for Genesis, some of Marieah´s shaders, two of MAB´s geografted figures, 3D Universes´ stuff...

I have been waiting for several products, but those vendor´s stores never went on sale, so I didn´t buy them - like Posemaster, Comic FX Complete, Dynamic Clothing Control plugin, Nerd3D´s stuff, several shaders by DraagonStorm (which went on sale for only a few hours and sadly were off sale again before I could check-out). Also I didn´t buy some things that were on sale but I decided I did not really need them for anything currently, I just wanted to have them because they look cool, and that´s not reason enough (like for example Aquatic Deep for Genesis, new Jack of Hearts and General outfits, Wagner and others).

Post edited by Proxima Shining on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited April 2013

...purchased more than I thought I would considering how discounting was restructured this year.

...purchased more than I probably should have as well.

With my new workstation up and running, picked up a fair amount of stuff that was collecting dust on the wishlist. As I bought the Aiko5 Starter Bundle before the sale, received the extra 10% as well as my PC discount for DO items as well.

Biggest single purchase was most of Howie Farkes' scenery sets and bundles for Carrara

Most important ones were the Garibaldi Hair System (already started playing a bit with it and find it very intuitive) and Morphing Business Suit for Genesis Bundle.

Also picked up a lot of nice everyday clothing (a good portion of it DO items). Very pleased to see more of this for a change instead of the usual glut of just fantasy and "skankwear" stuff.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Yes I am on the same boat. I probably spent more than I should have but I said hey I have been a good boy.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

I broke the bank. I think I was purchasing just about everything I could. If DAZ is listening...frequent flyer miles are seriously in order!

The discounting structure was frustrating to say the least...but I gave up being concerned about it and just trusted in that I was somehow getting a good deal. At least that is what I have had to tell myself to sleep well at night. lol

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

LOL

Speak of the devil. After my last post I was sent a Thank You email with a discount code for future purchases! Sure beats a sharp stick in the eye!

Thanks DAZ!

• Pixel8tedPixel8ted Posts: 588
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    LOL

Speak of the devil. After my last post I was sent a Thank You email with a discount code for future purchases! Sure beats a sharp stick in the eye!

Thanks DAZ!

Yeah. I spent too much too so I guess I helped create this sale also. LOL. BTW, I had to laugh at the name code and image they sent in the email. I'm thinking they want us to buy something skimpy with some heels. LOL.

• jerriecanjerriecan Posts: 470
    edited December 1969

I didn't spend as much as I was afraid I might - there were only a few items I really wanted, though I could have easily spent loads on a couple of vendors' entire catalogs. And a couple of surprises too that rounded out my collection (thank you, Nightshift3D!). An awful lot of temptation, but those particular items will have to wait a bit... :)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited April 2013

Greetings,

Geminii23 said:
    LOL

Thanks DAZ!

ROFL! Yep, that'll be nice... My expenditures this time were...a LOT more than I expected, mainly because I unexpectedly sold a domain name in the middle of the sale and applied the entire proceeds to buying more stuff. :O!

I'm pretty content-exhausted, now. At least this March Madness happened while I was employed; last year I'd JUST joined the DAZ site and tools and I went overboard despite being unemployed...

Still, among other things I have a brand spanking new annual PC membership and Carrara, so I'm pretty much set for things to learn for the next year or so. ;)

As for content, one of the things that blew my mind was that I decided to finally splurge and get Jack of Hearts and try and convert it, and _five days_ later Jack of Hearts for Genesis came out. At the same price. Never was a ticket filed faster. It was even resolved fast enough that I could have used the proceeds to buy the new Jack of Hearts model, but I hadn't taken that chance...

I've been running test renders almost constantly since then, trying out the various products, at least at a simple level and I'm in heaven. :) I even figured out Posemaster, which I'd bought a while ago, but never quite got working right, and now I have hundreds of poses from old products that now work on Genesis surprisingly well.

I'm also considering building a single render, with every single character either Genesis native or GenX'ed that I own, each in a different outfit, and seeing how badly I can bury my computer. :coolgrin:

I had a great time, even though DAZ themselves didn't have as much an interactive in-forum presence as they did last year. I also enjoyed the mental challenge of figuring out the pricing in the first few days, although once it was solved I just built a Google [strike]Docs[/strike] Drive spreadsheet to check that prices were right.

Thanks DAZ!

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

I spent quite a bit more than I expected, actually had to return an item to get something that came out towards the end. Nearly all PA items -- that extra 10% discount for buying Aiko5 really worked as a sales draw for me. Every once in a while you'll get a PA item on FastGrab or a Members' Choice sale, but I've never seen hundreds of PA items at more than 50% off.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...returned a few items myself that didn't work the way I thought they would but then got other stuff I wanted with the credit, so it wasn't an absolute diddle.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

Spent more than I had planned, mostly because of the "cross-related-extra-bonus", where it became cheap to chew down the wish list.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Yes I am on the same boat. I probably spent more than I should have but I said hey I have been a good boy.

The same - apart from the last word, which is "girl" in my case.
    LOL

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

Not my favorite sale, and it made me pretty mad that some people get coupons that others didn't..... grrrrr

BUT i did appreciate the sale and got a few very awesome things so thank you Daz.

edited December 1969

So did you get your combination of Sheer greatness and Eyeriss?
    I hope so!

(This coupon is for "Due to your significant participation" and only good if you have a cart of $20 or more, in case you wondered)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    So did you get your combination of Sheer greatness and Eyeriss?
    I hope so!

(This coupon is for "Due to your significant participation" and only good if you have a cart of $20 or more, in case you wondered)

Hmm for the 3rd time today I get logged out during midreply, but I'm still logged into the forums, weird

Sadly I did not get them. I do still have them in my cart and plan to buy them at my earliest convenience. Products like Sheer Greatness and Eyeris, that can be used in any image over and over to improve quality are worth having!! I missed having them in the MM sales but never fear I will get them, even one by one, as I can :)

Thanks for asking :)
    Meanwhile I keep playing with my two favorite things... LAMH and LUXUS. Did you see my lion picture in the LAMH thread? i'm going to redo it later if I can with Luxus, i bet it'd look freaking awesome. :)

edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that ...

The submit button for fast reply isn't working for me either - I am doing "normal" replys today.

Your mentioning of Sheer had me buy it too, because I thought it's just another set of lingerie ... (so your are at fault for my spending too much during march LOL)

The lion person looks great with hair.

edited December 1969

if it was just lingerie i wouldn't need it really either, its the shaders!! I'm a glutton for shaders. :) i love making clothes look the way *I* want the to look! :)

now someone needs to make some more environmental shaders.... I hae some that worked well in DS3 but not so well in DS4.....

edited December 1969

Curiosity: what do you mean by environmental shaders? Examples?

edited December 1969

thinks like rock, tree bark- we see marble, and pavement and smooth stone, but not rock. We see multiple products for finished wood but not for bark. Shaders for mud, dirt, not just on clothes (ie, hybrid grunge) but actual ground is mud and dirt and sand.plant and leaf shaders, not something covered with many leaves, but a tiling leaf color that can be applied to leaves. Btw the lovely moss shaders!! I forgot those and must buy them someday soon >_< more like that! soft silky colors that can be used on flowers, patterns for eggs, and more...

and besides environment, what about a skin shader or two?

:)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

indeed!!! Okay i have a lot of downloading to do :)
    Thank you! This makes my day :D

*runs off happily squealing into the dark with her laptop*

edited December 1969

A happy Alia - nice! :)

• natrix natrixnatrix natrix Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The March Madness sale this year was a little bit odd. There were only a hand full of items I wanted to get that I could afford to get and was actually able to get. But I was able to save I think in total something like a hundred bucks or so. On the catch up sale I bought a few cute things for genesis. I am using Genesis a bit more now since Aiko 5 came out. I really love what she brought to the table. I think shes a perfect companion to Hitomi and with some work even Hiro 5. I still very much hope to see David hit the store and I really Daz to so something different for the girl 5 being that I really have not liked the previous incarnations of the girl. March Madness sale. I would like to know from you guys what you wanted to get but could not get.

I want to get the Skull Cove Complete, that thing is just nast looking so cool and perfect for a few sets of renders that I want to do. I was how ever able to get AlienZ From Dreamlight and Return to the enchanted forest from Stone mason. I am very happy with both.

Let me know you guys thought and what you got and stuff thank

Thank to every one who will be participating in this thread in advanced.

I bought a lot less than I actually wanted to. Half the time the discounts didn't work, coupons associated with certain products were nowhere to be found, and just generally the way the whole thing was set up, and the very modest savings, annoyed me. Sorry...

edited December 1969

I bought a lot less than I actually wanted to. Half the time the discounts didn't work, coupons associated with certain products were nowhere to be found, and just generally the way the whole thing was set up, and the very modest savings, annoyed me. Sorry...

Sorry - but I am really wondering whether you think 50% (or even 55%) off PA items is modest?
    Sure, I bought more PA items than DOs this year, but all in all it was more than last years chain sale event (buy today, get 75% tomorrow). Once out of the chain, things were much too expensive.

• natrix natrixnatrix natrix Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Kerya said:

Sorry - but I am really wondering whether you think 50% (or even 55%) off PA items is modest?

Yes, if the discount doesn't work, once you have the products in your cart, then it is quite underwhelming. Also, if in order to get the 50 % discount in the first place, you have to buy something that you normally wouldn't buy. That is the way this years MM sale works - I hope you've noticed? Products were placed on one-day sales, making it hard for most buyers to find two or more top-of-the-wishlist items on one day to qualify for the full discount - which of course is supposed to tempt you to buy something further down the priority list, just to get the 50 %

Post edited by natrix natrix on
    edited December 1969

Sorry - I only bought things I wanted, absolutely not "something that you normally wouldn’t buy."
    Really.
    Maybe my wishlist is bigger than yours and is including more of the older items (Think along the lines of Marja and Damaris hair - both 3Dream and Mairy and older).
    The 55% was a real boost for me.
    And I DID have saved for March, so I was able to afford them.

I am sorry it wasn't a happy event for you.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Well, I enjoyed this year's MM much more than last year's for sure. I'd probably have to go back to the first year to find myself with as much anticipatory excitement for each day's offerings. There were enough items to choose from each day that there were only one or two days I found myself putting an item in my cart I was doubtful of and that was made up for by the vendor stores who participated those days.

I can't decide right now if I'm going through withdrawal or suffering from MM exhaustion. Prolly both.

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

I enjoyed the sale as well. Bought way more than I expected to, including an iClone bundle. I guess April will be the month of playing around with this stuff.

edited December 1969

OK, comparing to my first MM in 2007:
    Jenna for A3: $1.60 instead of $15.95
    Liam for H3: $1.30 instead of $12.95
    A3 nurse: $1.30 instead of $12.95
    Privateer M3: $1.80 instead of $17.95
    Compared to that, it is not that great.

On the other hand - everything is more expensive nowadays.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

I enjoyed the MM sale, found a lot of things I wanted mostly PA items and spent way to much. Not as much as I would have liked to have spent but the dollars only reach so far. All in all a successful time for my runtime. :cheese: