warning message when I render

EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
edited December 1969 in New Users

When I click Render, sometimes I get a message that says something like

"When you obstruct the viewport during open GL render, the final image may be corrupted."

Problem is, I don't understand how I'm obstructing the viewport, so I don't know how to stop obstructing it.

Thanks for any help in understanding this.

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

As you are using OpenGL render, if you move another window over the viewport while rendering the result might be damaged.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Bear in mind also that an OpenGL render looks... well, to put it bluntly, a bit rubbish. You really want to up the quality to 4 so that it uses the 3Delight rendering engine instead of OpenGL. This way it actually uses all of the nice shaders, subsurface scatter and raytracing which you'll want to be present in any good image.

• EdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdwardEdward Posts: 143
    edited April 2013

Totte and Herald of Fire, thank you both for your replies.

Totte, as far as I know, when I get that message, I am not moving anything except the cursor to hit the render button. So I'm puzzled.

HeraldOfFire, perhaps because I'm a relative beginner at rendering, I find that the 4 different settings have different advantages (not just talking about speed), and 4 doesn't always give the effect I want. For example, sometimes I like the way hair looks better in 2, say, than in 4. I also have sometimes found that with 3, a figure might get covered with a sort of black weird checkerboard pattern -- but not black and white squares, rather all sorts of little rorschach shapes, black alternating not with white, but with unobscured patches of the visible figure, "peeking" through the spaces between the black shapes. But that's not a high priority problem to me. I sidestep it by relying on 2 and 4, which is fine for now. No doubt when I get to know how to use 4 better, I'll find it consistently the most advantageous.

Post edited by EdwardEdwardEdward on
    edited December 1969

Think of numbers 1-3 as video game graphics level. They're the kind which can be done virtually realtime which is why they render fast, but that means a great loss in overall quality. While using 3Delight might be a bit of a jump in learning, it's also far more flexible and powerful so it's well worth taking the time to learn and master.

edited December 1969

HeraldOfFire, thank you again for your replies.

That's another thing -- for me, 4 renders seemingly as fast as 3 or 2 -- maybe that's because I'm not using all the resources of 4, which I gather is good for shadows. I don't really do much with lighting, so don't have much shadow to render, so maybe that's why.

But I still am wondering about the answer to the question I asked in the post at the top of this thread.

edited March 2013

OpenGL is used to display the data in the viewport within Daz Studio. I can't speak for how this works internally, but it's likely the same 'instance' of the OpenGL object dealing with the final render which is why obscuring the viewport might mess up the render. Of course, this is largely guesswork, but it would have to be something along those lines, since if it created a new instance it could in theory render the image to a new (hidden) buffer. Either that or the problem is cross-talk between the two instances.

But I'm getting over technical here. The upshot is if you intend to use OpenGL for renders those are the issues you'll contend with.

Off-topic, and I apologize for over-emphasizing this, Quality setting 4 (ie, 3Delight render) is intended to be 'final output' quality, while the others are more suited for test rendering rather than the final image. To get the most out of any work, you will most certainly want to add good lighting, and shader lights like UberEnvironment have zero presence in OpenGl renders. In other words, it's like they don't even exist. If you're getting fast renders with 3DL then chances are you're not using any lights, and that means it's only using the one 'headlamp' attached to the visible camera (if you don't have an actual camera, then the Perspective View camera is used).

There are a plethora of tutorials and helpful folks here, myself included, which can point you in the right direction to make superior work in a very short time compared to the results you might get from the OpenGL renders. Some talented folks whom I am not fit to kiss the shoes of have produced breathtaking images using 3DL. I daresay you'd be hard-pressed to find many which were rendered with anything less.

So, yes. Strong emphasis on moving up to 3DL because that's where the real power is. Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much again HeraldOfFire, for the detailed and thoughtful answer.

I'm not asking why obscuring the viewport would mess up the final render. I'm asking how I'm obscuring the viewport, so that I can stop obscuring it. What does it mean, "obscuring the viewport"? How do I stop "obscuring the viewport," I understand what the verb "obscure" means, and I understand "viewport." But I don't know what that phrase means in a DS context. As far as I recall, I used to do GL renders in exactly the same way previously, and got no warning about "obscuring the viewport." I have the render tab open, but that shouldn't obscure the render, since the part being rendered is within the white aspect frame which is not covered by the render tab or anything else, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for any assistance.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

It's warning you that you shouldn't obscure the viewport, not telling you that you are.

edited December 1969

Richard, thank you. Does that mean that everyone who uses the 1, 2, or 3 settings on rendering gets that warning after pressing the render button? I never used to get that message...After getting such a message, I have found the image sometimes seems corrupted in minor ways -- for example a couple of rather small triangular areas within what should be a uniform field of color look slightly lighter in color than the field.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

EEE this might help you understand the the Message. If any other program is OPEN (has a Graphic Card call) at the time you hit render on 1, 2, or 3, (all done with the graphic card) the software is saying that the GC (Graphic Card) is in use and may cause errors. For a GC (openGL) render DS expects all except the DEFAULT windows use to be free. That is one reason so many programs say Be Sure NO programs are running in the Background. That is one way the OpenGL settings can cause errors. Other ways this can be caused is closing programs that do not FREE the Graphic RAM. Those are two examples off the top of my head.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Richard, thank you. Does that mean that everyone who uses the 1, 2, or 3 settings on rendering gets that warning after pressing the render button? I never used to get that message...After getting such a message, I have found the image sometimes seems corrupted in minor ways -- for example a couple of rather small triangular areas within what should be a uniform field of color look slightly lighter in color than the field.

There's a Do not show again check box on the warning - you may have used that before, and your new doesn't have it stored yet.

edited December 1969

Richard, thank you much, perhaps I'll check off that box next time I see it.

Jaderail, many thanks for that relief, you probably hit on what was going on. I probably had other programs open.

This forum is great.