Opinions about the printed book "The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio"

edited April 2013 in The Commons

I have seen that there is available in the bookshop a printed book about DAZ that is called

"Figures, Characters and Avatars: The Official Guide to Using DAZ Studio(TM) to Create Beautiful Art - 2ND EDITION"

And now that there is an updated second edition that covers DAZ Studio 4 as shown here above, could be a good time to buy it, althoiugh I have some doubts. The first edition was for using with version 3.0

My question is if anybody has bought this book and could give his opinion and tell how useful and good is it to learn DAZ Studio or what this book is about, and if it is worth to buy it or not.

Or from the name of the book is more about DAZ Figures, Characters and Avatars rather than about really a manual to learn DAZ Studio?

Or perhaps this book is more an Art Gallery of artistic renders from DAZ Studio users as it was requested in this old thread that comes from the old website forum "Official Guide to DAZ Studio - Book Art Gallery"

I am a beginner so I would be for starter learning and not advanced things

From the comments on the Amazon website, this book is not very good and useful, but there is ONLY 3 comments so is not really a real measure and how is it, so this is why I am asking here to real DAZ Studio users.

As there is NO PDF MANUAL available by DAZ for version 4.0 or 4.5 I thought that this could be a good thing to have but I am not sure

And I am sorry to say that the Web Based User Guide given by DAZ is not so good for me

The Video Tutorials and the Dreamlight club are also very good and great but additionally to these I would like to have a printed book or at least a PDF Manual that I could read.

Post edited by spaceray2005_e908957707 on

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

TBH the only reason to have bought the book the first time around was the free content, but I don't see any mention of a disk with this version.

• edited April 2013

I wish I could go to a bookshop in my city and see it by myself before buying it but where I live there is no bookshop that can have this book

Bejaymac said:
    TBH the only reason to have bought the book the first time around was the free content, but I don't see any mention of a disk with this version.

Thanks, but then you are saying that this book is not useful and really worth it?

is true that is not said if this 2nd edition book comes with a disk or not.

Post edited by spaceray2005_e908957707 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

The 2nd book does not come with a CD and it is basically the same as the 1st book, just updated to DS4.

I bought it and wish I hadn't now as the 1st book was all I needed.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Here's a thought for DAZ. Why not pay the author to actually write a decent manual for DAZ Studio rather than a less than useful piece of fluff?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

<-----thinks User Manuals are redundant when you have access to a forum like this...</p>

• drinkingbuddydrinkingbuddy Posts: 350
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    Here's a thought for DAZ. Why not pay the author to actually write a decent manual for DAZ Studio rather than a less than useful piece of fluff?

I don't think it's published by DAZ.

• Drew ZantiDrew Zanti Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    <-----thinks User Manuals are redundant when you have access to a forum like this...</div>

I disagree.
    An erratic jumble of tips and tricks with a few decent tutorials and few knowledgeable people isn't the way to learn anything let alone software.

Even the daz wiki is missing huge chunks of information.

as to the books they are very basic and the information is almost identical to the wiki

edited April 2013

Okay, that's great... but when I need to know how to do something, I just ask here. It's interactive and faster than trying to muddle through a manual for me, and it will do what a manuall cannot do: tell me when I can NOT do something.

Post edited by wancow on
  • stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Okay, that's great... but when I need to know how to do something, I just ask here. It's interactive and faster than trying to muddle through a manual for me, and it will do what a manuall cannot do: tell me when I can NOT do something.

It shouldn't have to be that way. Granted for some who tolerate it it work's but if you have to search or wait for the info that throws the proverbial wrench in the work's of ones workflow.

A book or manual is an excellent idea for those who need reference while they create without the need to logon. For some(myself included) that would be indispensable.

edited December 1969

;-) that's an idea... they could continue to give away the software, create a manual and sell that for $249.99 :)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    <-----thinks User Manuals are redundant when you have access to a forum like this...</div>

I disagree.
    An erratic jumble of tips and tricks with a few decent tutorials and few knowledgeable people isn't the way to learn anything let alone software.

Even the daz wiki is missing huge chunks of information.

as to the books they are very basic and the information is almost identical to the wiki

And if you don't have constant reliable connection to the internet you're a bit stuck. Also some people arn't comfortable with forums and the several answers as well as the conflicting information can be confusing.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:

I don't think it's published by DAZ.

No, it's not but they could hire the author or someone.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

I bought this book when I first started out and it was not helpful at all. Had I the option to do it over again I would not buy this book.

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

wancow said:

It's only interactive if people respond to the requests for help. I've had a bunch of times in the past where nobody will reply to my help requests at all. The forums don't do much good when nobody replies :(

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

What I would like to see is a complete video training course for Daz Studio 4.5.... I know there are sets of video training by Daz and power users.... but I would like something complete like the Carrara training by Phil Wilkes which I am enjoying learning from.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I am going to do something for the first time, and that is disagree with Wancow. The forums are useful for those tricks and tips kind of thing and helping with specific questions, but for basic learning, nothing beats a manual and both written and video tutorials. Trying to learn a new program by posting questions as they come to you seems to me a formula for frustration.

And if this book in question has no affiliation with DAZ3d, what makes it "official"?

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    I am going to do something for the first time, and that is disagree with Wancow. The forums are useful for those tricks and tips kind of thing and helping with specific questions, but for basic learning, nothing beats a manual and both written and video tutorials. Trying to learn a new program by posting questions as they come to you seems to me a formula for frustration.

And if this book in question has no affiliation with DAZ3d, what makes it "official"?

Daz sold the first version and gave them content to include in the book.

I have the second edition. As a person new to 3d. I found it very useful. It covered a lot of basic things that I didn't know or understand. Other's may not find it so useful. There is a thread about the original version here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2129335

• edited December 1969

I have both books. The first book is the one to get, since it still has the content CD, which is fabulous. I didn't learn much more with the 2nd book than the first.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

I have the first not the second. The book was of little use to learn the programs that came with it. The few time the author did provide information for the software he was wrong more often than not. It had some good general info on composing, posing, and lighting, that and the content made it barely worth the price.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

I have the second edition and it has been very helpful to me. I still refer to it. Well worth the cost, especially for a beginner.