"Cannot find a file for..." error

SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
edited March 2013 in New Users

I get this quite often.

I load a prop (in this case, a .PP2 file) and then I get an error saying

Cannot find a file for "Example.jpg"
To avoid seeing this message, make sure that the poser content directories are set up properly"

If I then click on "Locate" it points to the directory where the prop file is

My Library\Runtime|libraries\Props\Creator name\

It's trying to load a texture file, but can't find it, I assume.

but there ain't no texture in there. Instead, the relevant textures seem to have been unzipped to My Library\Runtime\textures\Creator name\

So, I reckon I'll copy the textures from there into the folder it appears to be looking in.

Still no joy!

How do I stop this happening? And why did they unzip to \textures if that's not where they're supposed to be?

Post edited by Sertorial on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Make sure that the folder containing the runtime folder is listed as a Poser-format content folder.

It's putting you in that directory because it's not seeing it in the texture folder in a listed content folder.

• SertorialSertorial Posts: 962
    edited December 1969

Make sure that the folder containing the runtime folder is listed as a Poser-format content folder.

um..how do I do that?
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

From the Paths listed I think the Issue might be a Folder name or a Full Folder in the texture path might be wrong in the PP2 file.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    From the Paths listed I think the Issue might be a Folder name or a Full Folder in the texture path might be wrong in the PP2 file.

yes, I wondered that. So I opened the .PP2 file with a text editor, but the only reference to the texture is just the filename without a path. I presume if no path is there, it will assume the file is in the same folder as the .PP2

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If this is a Free item from a Site I could take a look at it for you and maybe offer a fix. All I need is the name or a link if you have one.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    And why did they unzip to \textures if that's not where they're supposed to be?

That is where they're supposed to be — don't move textures around like that, or you'll have exactly the same errors cropping up when whatever's causing your problems has been fixed.

Incidentally, that issue of filename-only-no-path was very common with items (sadly, not all of them free ones) created several years ago, before DAZ|Studio had been released and all this stuff was only used in Poser. The correct way to specify file paths was not commonly known back then, but most of the time these messed-up items worked because Poser was a lot more forgiving of the glitches. The last couple of versions of DAZ|Studio in particular have been more fussy — if the paths aren't right, you get an error.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

There are two common errors in older Poser content.

One is with onlöy a filename given, and one that works on Windows (sometimes) but never on Mac OS X, that is when the paths starts like C:\Runtime.......

Seen that in several commercial items both at DAZ and in other sites, I've reported most the ones I've seen, but sometimes you're in a creative mode and no time to find and track down bugs....

edited December 1969

That is where they're supposed to be — don't move textures around like that, or you'll have exactly the same errors cropping up when whatever's causing your problems has been fixed.

Ok, point taken. But how do I fix it then?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:

If you open the .pp2 in a text-editor and look for a line like this

textureMap "badpath.jpg" 
    or
    textureMap "\Runtime\badpath.jpg" 

And change it to

textureMap ":Runtime:Textures:SomePA:Someproduct:somfile.jpg"

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

You have three options:

One, use a text editor to correct the path in the pose file or preset
    Two, manually load the textures using the Locate button and save a new Materials preset (File>Save as>Materials preset)
    Three, assuming there's a full path in the existing preset, move the textures to where the file thinks they should be

I generally use one, occasionally two.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Sertorial said:

textureMap "badpath.jpg" 
    or

And change it to

Excellent! Worked a treat! Thank you :)

edited April 2013

Incidentally, are there other types of content file that this broad approach will work with? (not necessarily the same syntax, I realise, but a text file with a path in it that can be fixed)

Totte said:

textureMap "badpath.jpg" 
    or

And change it to

Post edited by Sertorial on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sertorial said:
    Incidentally, are there other types of content file that this broad approach will work with? (not necessarily the same syntax, I realise, but a text file with a path in it that can be fixed)

Totte said:

textureMap "badpath.jpg" 
    or

And change it to

Character files (.cr2); hair files (.hr2) face files (.fc2) and pose files (.pz2) can all be edited in the same manner.
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Sertorial said:

Totte said:

textureMap "badpath.jpg" 
    or

And change it to

Character files (.cr2); hair files (.hr2) face files (.fc2) and pose files (.pz2) can all be edited in the same manner.

Great. Thanks for that.