Posing figures with guns?

williams.3386williams.3386 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey check me out! I'm getting the hang of this program! However there are a couple of things I can't figure out (I've been searching and clicking around for hours now!) I was wondering if there is a way to make my figures hold a pistol? I am not sure if my english is right on this but what I mean is, is there a way for me to pose a character any whatever way, but have them always be holding a gun in the proper way? or do i have to manually do it finger by finger?

also, I once heard that you could use blender files in DAZ. Is that true? I have blender and I am trying to import some blends (of the pistol I spoke of earlier) and I can not figure out how to get them into DAZ for the life of me.

Lastly, I am looking into purchasing the dynamic pose set. Has anyone used this? I would like to hear some peoples opinion before I got it.

thanks everyone!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

We have just had a new user contest on just this very thing, not just guns, but hands and holding things.

The Contest itself is ended now, but the WIP thread is there and it gives all sorts of hints and tips if you read through it, as these contests are meant to be used as a fun way of learning and honing skills.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17987/

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

As far using .blend files in DAZ Studio, it can't be done. I also use Blender, and the only way I can get something I've modeled into DAZ is to export it from Blender in Wavefront (.obj) format, and then import the .obj file into DS.

Take note that when importing into DS, you will have to swap the Y and Z axis because they are not the same in both apps, and if you don't, your prop will most likely be lying on it's side when you get it into DS.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited April 2013

and make sure Export Normals are turned off in Blender when exporting OBJ's

You can get hand pose presets that might help but yes manually moving each finger and part of is the best way. You then Parent thte gun to the hand so if and when you pose the figure the gun will follow.

Post edited by Szark on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Also know this about pre-made poses the, click poses, when you use one all your hard work to pose the hand will disappear when the new pose is applied. To stop that from happening this is what I do, others may have a better way, after I pose the hand I go to Save as Pose Preset and Enter a Name for my pose. When the Menu opens I select only the Posed hand and all under it. Then I can use any pose and then use the Hand Pose to put the hand right back to the proper pose again.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

or what I do is to select the hand and all finger bones and LOCK the nodes.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Szark said:
    or what I do is to select the hand and all finger bones and LOCK the nodes.
    Yes that works very good as well, but the Hand Pose is a permanent fix for Smart Props that do not come with a included pose file.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

True and yes saving as Presets will make them available in the future.