Unzipping content to folders OS XP

AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, I'm having difficulty unzipping genesis content from ShareCG to use in Daz 4.5,. Instructions state to Extract the files to your "/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/My Library" folder. Which i do. Content shows up in content library, but when I drag/drop content to Genesis model, I get missing files message. Such as this one: /Genesis Mini Flared Skirt/Genesis Mini Flared Skirt/V4 Flared Skirt MiniUV.dsf

I contact the uploader of content, they state, If you unzipped the file automatically to My Library, it is possible for these to end up in the wrong place if the folder structure is incorrect. It is always advisable to unzip the file to a blank folder and then drop the data, People and runtime folders into My Library.

I don't understand what's highlighted in red :)

I unzipped the files automatically to my library, believed that's what instructions state. I tried to drop folders into necessary content folders in My library, I've read forum unzipping content tutorial, but no luck with Windows XP unzip, I cannot merge folders, etc....... So I cannot use Genesis content.

How do I transfer files from unzip runtime folder to My library runtime folder in XP ?? Can I use DIM to install 3rd party content ??

Using the software is a breeze, very user friendly, it's loading content I'm having most difficult with, goodness gracious, Lol !!!

Assistance greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Create a temporary folder -- I call mine "Trialcontent". Unzip the folder there. There may be a top-level folder called "Content" or "My Library", or a folder with the name of the item. If that's the case, you only want what's UNDERNEATH that folder, not the folder itself. Inside that folder you'll typically find folders named Data, Runtime, People, etc. You want to drop THOSE folders into your My Library folder, so that they merge with the same-named folders inside your My Library folder.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited March 2013

When people are referring to "merge", that is a feature of the W7 OS. In XP or any other OS which doesn't provide a merge option, one can manually add the content into the appropriate folders.

The purpose of unzipping the new file into a blank folder is simply to check "what is in the zip". Sadly not everybody packages everything correctly.

My Library > Data
    My Library > People
    My Library > Runtime

It is very important when people are creating files that all their files are in the correct place, in the first place. The files created indicate exactly where they expect to find 'stuff' with which to work.
    So if the new content was created correctly, and is for the edition of D/S4.x that one has, the new content should work in the program.

DIM is for purchases via the Daz3d store.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

No, XP and earlier Windows versions have Merge also. It's MACOSX before 10.7 that don't have Merge built-in.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Thanx friend, I must be doing something wrong, cause countless members, thank'd uploader. I have no idea, how to manually install, cause I do not know each folders file structure.

Here's the question I have, what folder is .dsf file suppose to be in ??

My Daz library runtime folder has Geometries, libraries, prefs, Python, Support, Textures

Zip folder runtime folder has, Runtime > textures > P Design > jpg images

I cannot merge runtime folders, so how do I manually install content ??

Problem is, I and many others don't know what files are suppose to be in what folders, if uploader misplaced folder/files. Content is loading, just something is out of place, missing dsf file.
    Thanx

edited December 1969

Hello Admin, how do I use merge ?? Never used on XP, thanx :)

edited March 2013

Yeah, I don't recall ever seeing "merge" on XP either! Certainly not the way it is in W7.

edit: Found this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6835716_merge-windows-xp-like-vista.html

Other instructions I've found are doing it using the method I call "manual merge". Select a bunch of items and move 'em over.

edited March 2013

awesomefb said:
    Thanx friend, I must be doing something wrong, cause countless members, thank'd uploader. I have no idea, how to manually install, cause I do not know each folders file structure.

Here's the question I have, what folder is .dsf file suppose to be in ??

My Daz library runtime folder has Geometries, libraries, prefs, Python, Support, Textures

Zip folder runtime folder has, Runtime > textures > P Design > jpg images

I cannot merge runtime folders, so how do I manually install content ??

Problem is, I and many others don't know what files are suppose to be in what folders, if uploader misplaced folder/files. Content is loading, just something is out of place, missing dsf file.
    Thanx

If that is one of Wilmap's items, she normally has them already in the correct folders. Just match 'em up with what you have and/or add them in.

edit: check for an updated folder if it's 'missing a .dsf' file. Sometimes things are missed and the updated files are posted. Sometimes the missing .dsf file is ? ... just say 'skip' and if the item loads okay, don't worry about it.

edited March 2013

Thanx Patience55, yes Wimaps items, problem is all the zips are missing .dsf file. All the content is loaded into content library, just .dsf file preventing me from using content. Going to do some brainstorming, figure this out. Will check for update folder.

I found the same instructions, but didn't work, just moved one folder into another. Nothing on youtube. Goodness, Lol !!!

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tell me Which set of WilMap's items you are wanting to install and I will do you a short easy tutorial using that set so you can see how to do it one step at a time.

edited December 1969

Hi Jaderaril, thanx friend, that's fantastic !! Items are Genesis skirts, V4 Skirts, Genesis summer tops, Genesis gathered dress, for starters. Awaiting your instructions :)

Jaderail said:
    Tell me Which set of WilMap's items you are wanting to install and I will do you a short easy tutorial using that set so you can see how to do it one step at a time.
    edited December 1969

I need the Name of a FILE from ShareCG. I'll then be able to do this for you.

edited March 2013

Hi Jade, those are the names of the files. Don't know if I have permission to post links. Many forums do not allow. Genesis skirts added 11 months ago. I just did a .dsf search, returned 1,855 Daz files, holy DAZ ! Lol !!

Format: Daz Studio *.daz *.ds *.dsb
    Categories: 3D Models, Fashion, Clothing

Jaderail said:
    I need the Name of a FILE from ShareCG. I'll then be able to do this for you.
    Post edited by AJ2112 on
    edited December 1969

Yes you can post links to free stuff over at sharecg.com ;-)

edited December 1969

http://www.sharecg.com/v/61886/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Skirts

edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/61886/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Genesis-Skirts

Okay got it. It's 1am my time so I must go to bed soon, but I'll get the TUT posted as soon as possible in my Morning. About 8 hours from now.
    edited December 1969

Thank U so much friend. I have alot of experimenting to do with DAZ to keep me occupied, Lol !! Still trying to figure out the folder format system. Sleep well :)

Yes you can post links to free stuff over at sharecg.com ;-)Okay got it. It's 1am my time so I must go to bed soon, but I'll get the TUT posted as soon as possible in my Morning. About 8 hours from now.
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Some of my earlier zip files had an extra folder inside the zip and this is what causes problems if you install automatically.

All you need to do, once unzipped to a temporary folder is place the contents of the folders data, People and Runtime/textures into the same named folders in My Library.

There are no files missing that I know of, as other people have used them OK.

Hope Jaderail's tutorial helps.

edited April 2013

Hi Wendy, thanx for suggetion, wish it was that simple. Think I figured out the problem I'm having, although I still haven't figured out how to correctly install. In my content library folder, Data 3 files exist 3_0, 4_0_2, Daz 3D,.

When I open up your Data folder, goes to short cardigan folder and short sleeved shirt cardigan folder. I am inserting these two folders into data folder, did not work, then Daz 3D folder, did not work. People/runtime folders I understand. Easy to follow.

I go to clothing/genesis/cardigans drag/drop, I get error message uv-uvlayout.dsf file is missing. Which is in the data folder.

That's where I'm making my mistake, uv.dsf is incorrect path.

I download OfficeSet from SCG .daz ext, manually installed, works fine. I'm baffled, Lol !!!! Maybe my Daz program has a glitch. Well, till I figure this out, I'll have a ninja Genesis model, Lol !!! Hopefully Jader can shed some light :)

Post edited by AJ2112 on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

In my data folder there is a folder called Pusey Designs. This is the folder that should have its contents placed into the Data/ Pusey Designs folder in your "My Library"

edited April 2013

Ok, will give it a shot, brb.

Ah ha ! making progress. It worked !!! Thank you. Now, will try the skirt :) Oh man, when I tried to drag/drop material now dialog is asking to locate png file ! Just figured it out, select cardigan, then load material. Happy, I'm making progress, thanx,.

Post edited by AJ2112 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Wendy, think I have it working now, Skirt works too, beginning to understand the concept :)

edited December 1969

Well Fiddle Sticks. I'm so glad you have your content working. And the fact you did it yourself you will remember the steps much better. If you still want the mini Tut just let me know. I really do not believe you need it now.

edited April 2013

Hi Jade, thanx for all your help. I finally figured out how to load the content, but ran into another problem, when I try to apply materials, I keep getting a dialog now, could not find jpg !! I do dialog search to locate jpg, it works. So, this means I am not uploading materials correctly. Also now, my genesis model is dark, as if there is no sunlight.

Was wondering if I can reset Daz software to default start all over again. I may have to uninstall/reinstall.

MiniTut would still be helpful, so I can make corrections or figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Thanx

Jaderail said:
    Well Fiddle Sticks. I'm so glad you have your content working. And the fact you did it yourself you will remember the steps much better. If you still want the mini Tut just let me know. I really do not believe you need it now.
    Post edited by AJ2112 on