What I've been working on ... a Ship!

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Went back to the old Hexagon and managed [finally] to model a saucer without crashing the program once!

Have now added a couple of tube things and 3 what-ch-mecall'ems and a cylinder with the [strike]mind control device[/strike] deflector dish attached.

About 90% done and it's shaking Hexie so may or not ever get finished ... but we're sooooo clooose ...

Comments

• SafeunderdarkSafeunderdark Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks very nice.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

Looking good. :)

About 90% done and it’s shaking Hexie so may or not ever get finished ... but we’re sooooo clooose ...

In which case hide the parts you've finished to the point of even turning the parts off so that they don't load and, carry on modeling.....yay!

Then when finished the remaining part, save; take a deep breath, unlock the remaining parts turn them on and cross every limb. :cheese:

If I can do this in Hexagon 2.1 I'm sure you can, towards the end I did it in bits and joined it back together when I rendered it.

Federation_Star_Dock_M76.jpg
    1045 x 830 - 305K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Okay, thanks for the tip. I will certainly give that a try. Would be nice to actually finish one of these items.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@ RedSquare when you say " to the point of even turning the parts off so that they don’t load" you sort of lost me , do you mean what Hex calls freezing, ie locking and unlocking the object in the scene tree?

edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Looking good. :)
    About 90% done and it’s shaking Hexie so may or not ever get finished ... but we’re sooooo clooose ...

In which case hide the parts you've finished to the point of even turning the parts off so that they don't load and, carry on modeling.....yay!

Then when finished the remaining part, save; take a deep breath, unlock the remaining parts turn them on and cross every limb. :cheese:

If I can do this in Hexagon 2.1 I'm sure you can, towards the end I did it in bits and joined it back together when I rendered it.

How cool is that, I never figured out your made that ship way way in the back, I thought is was in the back wallpaper.
    Looks nice, but kinda small isn't it?

edited April 2013

@ TapiocaTundra Yes ~ Lock & Hide :)

An alternative is to save sections of the model as is, or, export each section as an individual object and save them in a new folder as individual files.

Delete the parts you do not need, carry on modeling until the next section is finished. save the iteration. Delete the section just modelled, export the previous section as the next object.

Reload the newest version, delete the previous section, save/copy the new section by itself and then proceed to model the next section and, so on. A lot of faffing about but it does keep the UI reasonably alive and stutter free. You only need to do this with the first two sections of course, after that you simply keep adding the new bits save all and just delete the previous part as you already have it saved as a separate object. Then for safety, copy the newest section and on the copy start adding the next section. Etc.

Then in the end you can attempt to either import back into Hex' each section one by one until you have the whole model back together and then save as is and/or export it as an .obj or Hexagon gives way under the strain. If the latter then reassemble it in your rendering program of choice.

Or, reassemble it in your photo editing program if it is too big for your rendering program as well. Hmm, I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about LOL. There is nearly always some way of working round a problem and it would be a pity now if Patience didn't finish her ship. :-)

edited April 2013

@ Safeunderdark If you mean the one in the far distance, then no it's not part of the background it's a model/object which I downloaded off of the web, if memory serves me correctly . The only things not objects are the picture of the stars and the moon/planet which I dropped in when I prepared the .jpg. The four ships are all models. ;-)

Three I downloaded, of which one I altered, the remaining one I made except I only had a very small line drawing as reference and made up the bits I couldn't see, with the result that it is not correct. Subsequently, well just a few weeks ago I actually saw an episode with the space dock in it and showing much detail which I hurriedly copied. So I might go back in and alter it. I should really as it is not even the correct colour. :lol::vampire:

Federation_Star_Dock_Large_9.5_.jpg
    930 x 1020 - 396K
    edited December 1969

Erm, Sorry Patience, sort of high jacked your thread; got carried away. :red:

edited April 2013

RedSquare said:
    @ Safeunderdark If you mean the one in the far distance, then no it's not part of the background it's a model/object which I downloaded off of the web, if memory serves me correctly . The only things not objects are the picture of the stars and the moon/planet which I dropped in when I prepared the .jpg. The four ships are all models. ;-)

Yea the one in the very very distance... ahum... Remember what day it is ???

Sorry about that one RedSquare.. I couldn't help myself...

I think you did a very nice job on the Space dock! -lol-

I would love to see both the ship and dock in the same image, would be nice :)

Post edited by Safeunderdark on
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    Erm, Sorry Patience, sort of high jacked your thread; got carried away. :red:

No problem ;-) I enjoy reading through all the conversational posts too.

edited April 2013

DONE :-)

"happy dance"

yes ....

Okay, it's not the best model ever made but it's the best one I've made so far. I rigged it so the lights can be twisted ... haven't decided if I'll leave them on a twist, or re-rig it to have them 'straight' and turnable. Or maybe I'll make one of each ;-)

I hope the uvmapping is done. Haven't made the texture yet.

yes.png
    600 x 600 - 240K
    007wip.png
    600 x 600 - 243K
    007.png
    600 x 600 - 147K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

DONE :-)

"happy dance"

yes ....

Okay, it's not the best model ever made but it's the best one I've made so far. I rigged it so the lights can be twisted ... haven't decided if I'll leave them on a twist, or re-rig it to have them 'straight' and turnable. Or maybe I'll make one of each ;-)

I hope the uvmapping is done. Haven't made the texture yet.

That looks so cool,

Wel done :)

edited December 1969

Thank you. Next 'modeling project' will be back to the Bulldog lol ...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,196
    edited December 1969

Great job, Patience!
    With so many people loving Hexagon, I had no idea it's so difficult to build in.
    I mean... without the hiding and stuff...
    I'm not really that new to modeling, but I am new to modeling in Daz software - it's been years since anything else...
    So I guess I'm new again! lol
    Nonetheless... I just wanted you to know that I'd feel safe flying in that ship. Great job!

edited April 2013

With so many people loving Hexagon, I had no idea it’s so difficult to build in.
    I mean… without the hiding and stuff…

Really depends on whether one is modeling a high poly model or a low poly model. I'm afraid I'm a high poly modeller so that's the main reason for lock & hide.

@ Patience, well done young lady, can't wait to see the video if you ever get round to it. :) I fully expect to find that huge numbers of forum members will be suffering from acute after effects from hypnosis following the first demo of your spinning motors. :lol:

edited December 1969

RedSquare said:
    With so many people loving Hexagon, I had no idea it’s so difficult to build in.
    I mean… without the hiding and stuff…

Really depends on whether one is modeling a high poly model or a low poly model. I'm afraid I'm a high poly modeller so that's the main reason for lock & hide.

@ Patience, well done young lady, can't wait to see the video if you ever get round to it. :) I fully expect to find that huge numbers of forum members will be suffering from acute after effects from hypnosis following the first demo of your spinning motors. :lol:

Thank you :-)

That would be fun ... hmmm ... wonder what message we should send with the rays hehehe ...