Twelfth Doctor Contest

Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
edited March 2013 in The Commons

Apparently, the UK paper The Sun has closed their bidding for the next actor to play The Doctor after Matt Smith leaves. No official announcements have been made, that I know of (were I the BBC, I'd play that hand close until the episode actually airs...), but I think it would be great fun to have our own contest here. No prizes yet (anyone want to offer any?), but the game's fairly simple.

Details:
With Matt Smith bowing out at Christmas, we need a new Doctor to pilot the Police Box. The Sun offered voters twelve possible candidates, including Tenth Doctor actor David Tennant and Sean Pertwee, son of John Pertwee who played the Third Doctor. Their list of candidates is as follows:

David Harewood
James Corden
Helen Mirren
Rafe Spall
Rory Kinnear
Miranda Hart
Alex Jennings
Sean Pertwee
Benedict Cumberbatch
David Tennent from his run as the Tenth Doctor,
Laurence Fox
Aiden Turner
to which I also add "The Next Doctor", actor
David Morrissey
Of course, we might be completely surprised by somebody else.

Rules:
Post a render, any program (even Blender or Anim8or!), of the next Doctor. The Doctor must be the focal figure of the scene.
* You may use any Whovian setting or character(s) you wish, from a canonical story or otherwise. It doesn't even have to be any particular story, so long as the Twelfth Doctor is clearly identified. (If more than one Doctor is present, the others must also be recognizable.)
* Use any living actor as your candidate (if someone was alive at the time of your render, but dies later, the render is still valid), but dead actors, however appealing, are ineligible. THIS APPLIES ONLY TO THE TWELFTH DOCTOR. If you wish him to meet Yul Brynner and Charlton Heston, you may, so long as a CURRENTLY LIVING actor plays the Doctor. Deceased actors who played other Doctors are also ineligible, except as themselves (as actor or Time-Lord). Dead-actor Doctors are eligible for NAEs.
* The name of the actor portraying the Doctor must be included in your post: if necessary, indicate which character is the Doctor, as not every actor's face will be known to everybody.
* Post entries here, and enter as many times as you'd like. Each entry needs a specific title, however, to differentiate between multiple entries by one entrant.
* Keep postwork to a minimum.
* Thou shalt enjoy thy participation herein! If thou enjoyest it not, go forthwith hence and enjoyest thou therefore some thing else! (Which is to say, "Have fun!")

I need judges (Redfern, Aldemps, Kulay Wolf, anyone?) and prizes. PM me or volunteer here.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited March 2013

This link contains portraits of the original Sun candidate list.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/4854904/doctor-who-its-up-to-you.html

Everyone's here but David Morrissey.

And if you need some particular prop or a character idea, check the Doctor Who Resource Thread in the Freepository.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

I realize you're just wanting to give us fair warning, but until I read an official statement from the BBC, I'll treat any word about Smith's departure with some healthy skepticism, especially if said announcement was printed by "The Sun", Britain's answer to the "National Enquirer". That "rag" is probably just trying to pump up circulation.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

All right. Still no reason not to pick candidates for future Doctors. ;)

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited March 2013

I Nominate The DAZ Cow!!

Title - Doctor Moo!

Doc.png
    800 x 600 - 631K
    Post edited by Sockratease on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

I vote for Micheal 5! Oh you want some renders of M5?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

No prizes yet (anyone want to offer any?), but the game's fairly simple.

I'll toss a $10 DAZ3D gift certificate into the pot.

What's the closing date for this? (When do you stop accepting entries and tell me who gets my money?)

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

my money is on benedict cumberbatch. though the beeb havent made any announcements, most Doctors only run three or four seasons, and Matt developed a close relationship with arthur and karen, so i've a feeling he will leave the show fairly soon. though he is keeping his cards to his chest, benedict has said that he has been offered a role in the show (some people are speculating he will be the next Master).

personally, i hope Matt stays on for a few more years - he brings an alien eccentricity to the role that brings the Tom Baker interpretation to mind.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited December 1969

...you have my attention.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

what would be really cool is if they gave Paul McGann another shot. pretty easy to work it in, a companion might stumble upon the McGann console room or finds an item of clothing belonging to the Eighth Doctor, and that prompts the current Doctor to begin relating former (unscreened) adventures as flashbacks.

• edited December 1969

Title: I'm finally ginger! And...Sherlock?!

Benedict Cumberbatch of Sherlock fame as the 12th Doctor. For those who didn't know, Benedict's natural hair colour is indeed ginger, so it would be the perfect opportunity to give The Doctor his greatest wish! I'd love to see him get the role but I wonder how it would work with filming schedules if they continue making more series of Sherlock as well. Don't know if you can see the detail but on his buttons are some Gallifreyan symbols. :-)

B.C_._as_12th_Doctor_ginger_resized_.png
    2000 x 1421 - 2M
  • Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

nightkin said:
    what would be really cool is if they gave Paul McGann another shot. pretty easy to work it in, a companion might stumble upon the McGann console room or finds an item of clothing belonging to the Eighth Doctor, and that prompts the current Doctor to begin relating former (unscreened) adventures as flashbacks.

What a great idea! It'll never happen though. Mind you, it would help postpone the inevitable decision of what to do following the next regeneration which is of course his last.

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Or is it? Might be his penultimate persona. Does the doctor have 12 versions or 12 regenerations? I'm sure a more clued up fan than I will know :)

edited March 2013

...of course a female doctor would be really cool.

Remember that Romana was a Timelady from Gallifrey and could regenerate as well

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • edited December 1969

nightkin said:

I'm in complete agreement with this.

Paul McGann certainly deserves this role, if he's willing to take it...

... first, given that FOX sorely mishandled that whole Doctor Who TV Movie business ( ... aside from having somehow come up with a script that played out very much as if it might have been ripped piecemeal from out of the hopeful scribblings of a wannabe writer who had the great misfortune and considerable naiveness to have submitted his book to Virgin Publishing without first having obtained a copyright )......

... second, because he was really very good in playing the part.

And besides... don't they still have a whole lot of "history" to fill in with the eighth Doctor's timeline?

And Besides That...

... the one good thing from that movie, aside from McGann, namely the TARDIS console prop... still exists!

Though, apparently, it's in the hands of a private collector, Paul Salamoff:
    http://honorarydoctor.livejournal.com/14419.html

edited March 2013

I see from this post that the contest has been declared "dead"...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14624/P15/#288173

I'm an honourable person; I'll stand by my offer. Since there wasn't an official winner declared, I'll split that $10 GC into two $5 GCs - that seems to me to be the only fair thing to do. ninjahamster and Sockratease, please PM me the email addresses that you used to register here at the DAZ site, so I can send you your prizes.

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

I'm an honourable person; I'll stand by my offer. Since there wasn't an official winner declared, I'll split that $10 GC into two $5 GCs - that seems to me to be the only fair thing to do. ninjahamster and Sockratease, please PM me the email addresses that you used to register here at the DAZ site, so I can send you your prizes.

Well, dare I say it??

Holy Cow!

That's extremely kind of you.

The GC will come in very handy!

I'll PM the email and say Thanks again

cowjump.gif
    512 x 512 - 385K
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:
    Mind you, it would help postpone the inevitable decision of what to do following the next regeneration which is of course his last.

Well it was said explicitly in the show that 12 was the limit but it was never said why. It could easily be explained away as simply time lord law and that there is no biological reason they cannot regenerate, it's just the collective will of the time lords that prevents it and since they are all gone the Doctor goes on regenerating forever.

• edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Thank you, that's very kind :-)
    I will also pm you my email.

Surprised there wasn't more entries actually.

edited December 1969

They all saw The Daz Cow as The Doctor, and knew no human could compete. Who ever said regenerations couldn't produce a cow anyway?

Not me!

Only your Mastery of Ninja Hamster Skills enabled you to overcome this level of intimidation and enter something too.

Either that, or they saw where the OP put the poo-poo on the contest in another thread...

Still, it was fun :P

• edited December 1969

They all saw The Daz Cow as The Doctor, and knew no human could compete. Who ever said regenerations couldn't produce a cow anyway?

Not me!

Only your Mastery of Ninja Hamster Skills enabled you to overcome this level of intimidation and enter something too.

Either that, or they saw where the OP put the poo-poo on the contest in another thread...

Still, it was fun :P

Doctor Moo, the most powerful kind of timelord the world has ever seen :lol:
    The only drawback being that cows can't walk down stairs, but the daleks couldn't go up or down them and it never held them back! ;-P

- robkelk , incidentally PM's seem to either not be sending or not showing up in my 'sent' folder, so apologies if you've received 3 msgs from me all saying the same thing!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

You have to check the " Store a copy in the Sent messages folder?" under the message type pane to send a copy to your sent box. It is not automatic any more

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    You have to check the " Store a copy in the Sent messages folder?" under the message type pane to send a copy to your sent box. It is not automatic any more

Ah right thanks for that info, it was the first time I'd tried sending a PM on the new forums.

edited December 1969

I figured as much. No worries.

Anyway, the GCs have been purchased, and I know Sockratease has received his...

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Eustace Scrubb, I owe you an apology. Ultimately, you were right. At that earlier time however, I had doubts given the source of the original story (a tabloid paper similar to the National Enquirer) and the contradictory reports from several other sources.

You might want to gear up this "guessing" thread as it is relevant once more.

Sincerely,

Bill

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

If you need help, I can help.

edited December 1969

Didn't we already establish that the next Doctor was going to be a CGI Cow?

It was in an imaginary press release by the BBC, so it MUST be true!

edited June 2013

...Dr Moo.

So will his new assistant be a pretty blonde Swiss girl with long braids wearing Lederhosen and a Rucksack?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Could be!

Either that, or some crazy old hippy farmer...

edited December 1969

I suspect this incarnation of the Doctor would just stare at the bad guys until they surrendered, being cowed into submission...