3D bridge for Photoshop is crashing Photoshop 6, help please. :)

solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi All,
Trying to get Daz 4 Pro to export to Photoshop. And it's crashing PS 6 every time I hit the 'Preview Image' button.

So to set the parameters here, . . . I have downloaded the latest updates to both 'Daz 4 Pro' and '3D bridge for Photoshop' and installed them both. I have 'Initialized 3D Bridge' in Daz (File Menu). And when I do, I can see the camera view change, suggesting it's actually doing something. But, if I look in the 'FILE > EDIT > CUSTOMIZE' window, I can see in the box (see image sample), 'Initialize Photoshop 3D Bridge' listed there as if it still needs to be initialized. So I'm not sure if it actually is initialized or not, in spite of seeing the screen view change when I first hit the Initialize button.
Also, If I start with Photoshop (as per a member suggestion here) and try to launch Daz 3D from the 3D Bridge dialog box, nothing happens. Daz does not open.
And again, if I have them both opened up first, PS and Daz, then I hit the 'Preview Image' in the Potoshop>3D Bridge dialog box, Photoshop crashes.
And FTR, Photoshop has been completely stable since its installation. It hasn't crashed for any other reason. Only in relation to this Daz Bridge Plugin.
Suggestions please???

FYI, I am running PS6, DAZ 4 Pro, in 64-bit on an i7 Core iMac with 16 GB of RAM. So plenty of memory room to spare.

Thanks!

Comments

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

AS far as I know the version of the bridge that comes with Daz studio 4 needs at least Photoshop CS3. ( it may even be CS4)

I don't think even the very early versions worked with PS6 sorry.

• solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

err, sorry, Photoshop CS6. The Web & Design Premium Suite..

edited December 1969

And Mac OSX Lion, latest version of everything. :-)

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited June 2012

Sol765 said:

OK now I am not sure if its been tested on CS6 I will flag it up to see if I can get an answer for you.

Edit: not sure when an answer will show up as its late on Friday but it flagged.

Post edited by NeilV_1 on
    edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Sol765 said:

OK now I am not sure if its been tested on CS6 I will flag it up to see if I can get an answer for you.

Thanks, Neil. Much appreciated.

edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    Sol765 said:

Edit: not sure when an answer will show up as its late on Friday but it flagged.

Hey Neil, interesting little follow up here. According to the product page, 'Additional Information'
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/3d-bridge-for-photoshop/
    '3D Bridge for Photoshop' only works for 32-bit versions. Could this be correct? I could have sworn I read 64-bit users discussing using 3D Bridge for PS.
    Anyways, can't seem to get it to work. :(

Hopefully you'll hear something back.

edited December 1969

More testing. I've been trying pretty much every possibility I can find on the web. (Not much here, actually.)

What I have discovered is that I can get 3D Bridge to work in one scenario.
    If I have Daz 4 opened with a 'Actor' loaded, and PSCS 6 opened with no document opened up at all in PSCS 6, and I then initial 3d Bridge in Daz 4, and then from within PSCS6 I click the 'Preview Image' button, it will allow me to view the Daz 4 Actor against a white background. If I then reposition the Actor it in Daz 4, and then click the 'Udate Image' button in PSCS 6, I will then see the updated image.
    Several major problems though. This only works with the Preview Image's default setting of 800x600. If I change this to anything other size settings, I only get a white filled layer. Needless to say, this is pretty useless with anything other than a small web-page sized image.
    And, this only works if I hit the 'Preview Image button with NO other documents open in Photoshop. Otherwise, it crashes PSCS6.
    So if I have a document already opened in PSCS 6, and want to add my Actor, hitting the 'Preview Image' button will once again crash PSCS 6.
    The suggestion in another thread of Opening PSCS 6 and then opening Daz 4 from the 'Launch Daz' button, does not work. Nothing happens. I have to open both apps separately to even achieve the minimal scenario I mentioned above.
    And FTR, I have tried all this while temporarily removing all of my other Plugins from the PSCS 6 Plugin folder. So there shouldn't be any conflicts created by this.

HELP!!!! :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2012

Did you do a fresh install of the plugin when you installed CS6? Copying over your CS5 plugins, or setting your CS5 plugins as an external plugins folder for CS6 is bad juju.

I use the bridge between DS4 64bit and CS6 Extended 64bit and everything works smoothly. I've also used it with CS5 Extended 64bit without issue. Regardless of what the bridge's product page says, everything works for me.

One thing to note, is that both applications have to be the same 'bit' for it to work properly, either both 32bit, or both 64bit.

Sadly though, I am on a PC, and have no experience with a Mac environment.

Only thing I can suggest is to uninstall the bridge and reinstall it.

/edit
    Also, with regards to you seeing an action button when you went to the customize screen, all that button is is a quick-access button that shows up on the DS interface itself so you don't have to go through the menus to activate the bridge. It's not an indicator of whether or not it's running. If the 3D Bridge Camera is showing up, then the bridge is activated.

Now, when you do click on some of the bridge options in PS, make sure you're switching back over to DS as some of the options cause a dialog window to popup in DS.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Sol765 :)

I'm also able to use the Bridge with no issues in CS4 and 5 Extended using both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions , but again, I'm on PC not Mac, so, ..not much help,... but it 's a Sunday,..

Hopefully Monday will get you a better answer from Daz3D staff.

It's also worth pointing out that it's entirely possible to integrate a rendered 3D figure with an alpha background (PNG format), into a 2D image editor like photoshop, to composite the figure onto a background image,.. Without using a software Bridge,. and it's also possible to load in a 2D image as a "Background" in Daz Studio, to composite the 3D figure into a 2D background without an image editor like Photoshop.

For me,.. It's a bigger advantage to have the ability to transfer assets like texture maps to PS, and back to DS, or to load the DS Scene as UDF into PS and rotate that in 3D, and adjust lighting etc.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Did you do a fresh install of the plugin when you installed CS6? Copying over your CS5 plugins, or setting your CS5 plugins as an external plugins folder for CS6 is bad juju.

I use the bridge between DS4 64bit and CS6 Extended 64bit and everything works smoothly. I've also used it with CS5 Extended 64bit without issue. Regardless of what the bridge's product page says, everything works for me.

One thing to note, is that both applications have to be the same 'bit' for it to work properly, either both 32bit, or both 64bit.

Sadly though, I am on a PC, and have no experience with a Mac environment.

Only thing I can suggest is to uninstall the bridge and reinstall it.

/edit
    Also, with regards to you seeing an action button when you went to the customize screen, all that button is is a quick-access button that shows up on the DS interface itself so you don't have to go through the menus to activate the bridge. It's not an indicator of whether or not it's running. If the 3D Bridge Camera is showing up, then the bridge is activated.

Now, when you do click on some of the bridge options in PS, make sure you're switching back over to DS as some of the options cause a dialog window to popup in DS.

Hey Vaskania, Thanks for offering some help here. Much appreciated.

I did copy over a few of my plugins from PSCS5 to PSCS6, usually works fine on the Mac. Just drag it over. And this included the 'Daz 3D' Bridge folder. But most of my major Plugins did have to be reinstalled manually. And I've been running PSCS 6 flawlessly since I had upgraded to it several weeks ago. No crashes at all, with multiple plugins (Nik Software, OnOne Suite, etc.) with no problems. As mentioned to try and solve the problem, I even removed all of those and tried 3D Bridge all alone in the Plugin folder. And as for the Bridge folder, though I had dragged it over initially, when I did the latest update for it to try and solve this issue, the installer did say it was removing the older version befor it installed the new one. I had to click approval for this.

Yes, everything is running 64-bit, on a Mac system.

Yes, I have been switching back over to Daz to see if 'dialog' might be needed. The only way I've seen anything working is when I rendered a file in the 800x600 mode that I mentioned was actually working.
    One forum member, in a separate thread (maybe yourself, don't remember) suggested "try starting Daz from the Bridge dialog box in PSCS6. That's not working for me at all. Nothing happens. Daz will not start-up using the Bridge 'Launch' button. But, if I launch Daz manually, 'initialize Bridge' in Daz, then the PSCS6 'Bridge' box, does at that point say "Daz is running". So there is some communication there. And again, I can then work with the 800x600 image box (@ 72dpi). But unfortunately that is pretty useless for any full-size (300dpi) art work. And again, as soon as a second layer gets added, the Preview or Update image feature then will crash PSCS6.
    One item I read on the web on working with Bridge, the Daz user said he had "set the Preview Image box to 3000x3000 dpi". So I know larger files are working for some people.

I will try re-installing Bridge this morning, ...for a third time. :)

Thanks again, for any suggestions you might have.

- Sol

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    HI Sol765 :)

I'm also able to use the Bridge with no issues in CS4 and 5 Extended using both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions , but again, I'm on PC not Mac, so, ..not much help,... but it 's a Sunday,..

Hopefully Monday will get you a better answer from Daz3D staff.

It's also worth pointing out that it's entirely possible to integrate a rendered 3D figure with an alpha background (PNG format), into a 2D image editor like photoshop, to composite the figure onto a background image,.. Without using a software Bridge,. and it's also possible to load in a 2D image as a "Background" in Daz Studio, to composite the 3D figure into a 2D background without an image editor like Photoshop.

For me,.. It's a bigger advantage to have the ability to transfer assets like texture maps to PS, and back to DS, or to load the DS Scene as UDF into PS and rotate that in 3D, and adjust lighting etc.

Hope it helps :)

Thanks 3DAGE, for the feedback.

Yes, the 'render to png, and then import as 2D' is what I've been doing. And it works fine for the most part. But at the moment I'm working on a multiple-Actor scene against a real world photography background image, so getting the positioning perfect, with 3 actors, interactive poses on an existing real world background, with proper lighting, while waiting for the rendering process each time I do a minor adjustment, is a fairly major nightmare. This is certainly the kind of scenario that 3d Bridge would reeeeeeaally help to have. And since I'm reading others are having no problems (although it seems mostly PC responders), is pretty aggravating. :)
    Also, I did try the "bring background image into the PSCS6 bridge created document", but once I added another layer (background image), and then clicked 'update image' on my actor, PSCS6 crashed again.
    Trying to start with an existing multi-layer PS document, and importing the Daz actor, it crashes every time I hit the Preview Image button.

As for part two of your response. Being still relatively new to the 3d world, not quite sure what your talking about there.
    "UDF", etc.???
    I did try to export an actor as a u3d element as recommended on one of the Daz documents I read ( I do have PSCS6 Extended), but it looked completely different than my render that I had created as a png output of Daz. The lighting looked nothing alike the Daz version. And the hair looked like all plastic clumps. Not the soft stranded brush stokes of the png rendered version. Is the u3d what your are referring? And if so, where did I do wrong there?

Thanks again.

-Sol

edited December 1969

My Bad .. It's "U3D" , which brings the DS scene in as a 3D layer in photoshop,.
    so, you can rotate the geometry to change the camera view.
    You can also adjust lighting etc..

U3D.jpg
    800 x 841 - 169K
    edited December 1969

The lighting is different because you're now rendering 3D in Photoshop, and you'll need to adjust textures, Opacity, lighting, and the render settings in photoshop. then render it.
    The preview is pretty much open GL

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    The lighting is different because you're now rendering 3D in Photoshop, and you'll need to adjust textures, Opacity, lighting, and the render settings in photoshop. then render it.

So when importing u3d files, is the lighting levels set-up created in DAZ somewhat null and void at this point. As in, should I just import the u3d file without lighting, and then add lighting to it from within Photoshop?
    I ask, because when I render a png file, it is fairly relative to what I see in Daz, when dialing in my lighting adjustments. Only a LOT better on the final render. The u3d version, upon import, as I remember it, looked dramatically different. As in I needed to start over with my light adjustments. And feeling that Bridge SHOULD be working for me at this point, I probably didn't have a lot of patience for it, at the time. lol!
    Heck, I'm even one of the unfortunate who paid full pop for Daz Pro and the 3D Bridge. So a little frustrated. :)
    To be fair, I've tried so many different scenarios over the last two days, I may have turned a light off when trying the u3d export. So maybe it would have looked different.
    But any suggestions you have are certainly appreciated. Just as to your routine and workflow.
    Come to think of it, how do you actually add the lights and adjust them in Photoshop? I am very well versed in PS, as I've been using it for a decade and a half. But not the 3D part of it. The only lighting adjustments I know of, are in the Filters menu, and they were grayed out as I remember it, when I tried it out yesterday.
    Thanks!

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    My Bad .. It's "U3D" , which brings the DS scene in as a 3D layer in photoshop,.
    so, you can rotate the geometry to change the camera view.
    You can also adjust lighting etc..

P.S. Cool character!! :)

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:

Okay. I've done some noodling around with a newly created u3d file. And I've got multiple lights working. They all had to be repositioned in PS, but they are working. A bit of a learning curve here.

So, as I am understanding it, once you export from Daz to PSCS as a u3d file, I am able to:
    Adjust the light positions and levels.
    Move the 3D characters around the scene.
    Reposition and re-size them.
    Paint the character maps, if wanted.
    And then render.
    Correct?

I am not able to:
    Re-pose the characters, arms, legs, head angles and such.
    Clothing and Hair adjustments, as in wind movement, those kinds of things.
    Correct?

And I assume I can't take the u3d file back into Daz and have these new size and position adjustments hold up.
    As in, maybe save the PS 3D layers to a new document and reopen in Daz. I don't see a Save As command for u3d.
    Correct?

Also, the hair still renders more like plastic than hair. Not sure what I can do different here.
    Again, maybe it's the learning curve. :)
    Seems like Bridge is still the ticket here.

Here is the two render versions I got. Same hair.
    The background girl in the png 2d file imported.
    The front girl is the u3D file rendered in PSCS6. 'Figure its got to be me, because no one would except this as 'good'.
    I can render the girls in bald, and then paint the hair. But looking at the png version, it makes it pretty obvious the hair render can look really good.
    Suggestions??

(P.S. - leaving my desk for a bit, I'll check back in later. Thanks)

Screen_Shot_2012-06-17_at_1.05_.27_PM_.png
    658 x 473 - 594K
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Funny enough, yea that was me that suggested to launch DS via the bridge, which should've worked. Something isn't allowing the bridge to communicate properly. As 3Dage said earlier, hopefully Monday will bring better answers, and more Mac users. lol

• edited December 1969

Any news on this? I got a related error running DAZ 32bit and Photoshop CS6.

I start Photoshop, start the bridge from Photoshop, it automatically starts DAZ. I add a new primitive, 1x1m cube to the center, just to have something to render. Then i click "preview image", to new layer. Photoshop creates a new image of the correct size, background, a layer above the background, then i get this:

DAZStudio.exe caused INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll" at 0023:10AE1AC1

DAZ and the Bridge totaly freeze, have to kill the DAZ thread, then Photoshop burps "can not get scene from DAZ" and continues working, including the bridge that has tetected that DAZ is not running and gives me the "start DAZ" button.

Running on Ubuntu 64bit/Wine

Please help!

edited December 1969

Hi Theork

You don't mention which version of DS you're using (just that it's 32bit)
    also,. are you running CS6 32 bit or 64bit ?

As I don't use Linux, and neither of those application were ever written to work on Linux,..I've no idea if the OS may have something to do with your crashing,. or whether the connection between 32 bit DS and PS CS6.
    or, something else entirely.

However,. If this is happening repeatedly, then you should submit a bug report so that the developers can take a look.

Before doing that,.. try updating to the latest release version of Daz Studio 4.6,... and perhaps try the 64bit version of Daz Studio instead of 32bit

32bit programs have access to less memory that 64bit.

• edited December 1969

It's both 32-bit Versions, DAZ 4.6 and Photoshop 13.0.1.1 (both downloaded today / yesterday, so: up to date). I know that 64-bit Software can handle more RAM (among other things), but from the WINE website I know that only the 32-bit DAZ is working under Linux. Rendering a white 1x1x1 meter box with the standard light should not be an issue.

Photoshop is running good enough (brush-tool bug, but copy stamp, opening huge pictures, adding layers, etc. works)
    DAZ is working well (adding a character, props, light, rendering, etc. works)

Communication among them could be a problem. The Bridge was able to start DAZ from PS and recognizes if DAZ is running or not. PS opens a new layer the right size, but then instead of showing me the picture it says "please wait" and then gives the above crash mesage.

What unfortunately is NOT working is the Crash-Report. Nothing happens if I click "submit crash report" and I have to kill the DAZ task, because it completely freezes.