DS Dynamic Towels, Now Available! ***COMMERCIAL***

ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
edited March 2013 in The Commons

I've seen quite a few requests since DS dynamics was released for dynamic towels. Well, I'm happy to announce they're done and awaiting release. There are both male and female towels for M4/V4 and M5/V5. The male towels come in two lengths. The Gen 4 versions are compatible with DS3 and DS4, and the Genesis versions will work in DS4 or DS 4.5. There are matching shaders in case you want to pair them with other dynamic items and have them match.

(2nd promo image courtesy of Fisty.)

UPDATE: The towels are here! http://www.daz3d.com/ds-dynamic-towels/

Post edited by ThespiSis on

Comments

• ThespiSisThespiSis Posts: 118
    edited December 1969

Textures and shaders come in both Microfiber and Terry fabrics, in 10 colors each.

Popup5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 349K
    Popup4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 398K
    Popup3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 379K
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

These are totally awesome

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...beautiful. The only downside is use of the "S" word.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...beautiful. The only downside is use of the "S" word.

I do so hate to use such vulgarity, but it is what it is. And it's to be "s**n".

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

awww can't wait for s**n

:D

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

No need to worry, after this nice little item is released we'll all know where our towels are. ;-)

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

Yum! Do want =P~ When this hits the store it'll be in my cart in a flash :cheese:

edited December 1969

For those who like to animate, here's the towel in action in an excerpt from a video by Alexa Sears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ila-CroDGHA

• EldritchCellarEldritchCellar Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

Hello ThespiSis,
    I apologize for the OT but I was doing some research on creating readscript based INJ files for characters that utilize a blend of Morphs ++ for V4 and custom morphs created in ZBrush. Anyway, I came across this old thread where you link to a tutorial or topic on the forum that I would like to read, unfortunately that link no longer works (http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1111105#1111105).
    Is there any chance that you recall this discussion?, and if so do you know of a working link to it so that I might read it?
    Again sorry for the intrusion, and thank you for any help you might lend.

edited December 1969

71067 said:
    Hello ThespiSis,
    I apologize for the OT but I was doing some research on creating readscript based INJ files for characters that utilize a blend of Morphs ++ for V4 and custom morphs created in ZBrush. Anyway, I came across this old thread where you link to a tutorial or topic on the forum that I would like to read, unfortunately that link no longer works (http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=1111105#1111105).
    Is there any chance that you recall this discussion?, and if so do you know of a working link to it so that I might read it?
    Again sorry for the intrusion, and thank you for any help you might lend.

Ooh! That was almost four years ago. I vaguely remember doing it, but I don't know if it was a tutorial per se. My own custom morphs were done in DS for a couple of characters and Hex for another. I've never used Zbrush, so I doubt the tutorial was about that. Maybe how to insert the read script references from the INJ/REM files created by the DS script I was using into the pz2 for the pose?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember, and I'd probably have to go searching all over again just to do it again myself.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Okay, these look amazing... but is DS Dynamics the Optitex dynamic cloth plugin or is it something else?

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Okay, these look amazing... but is DS Dynamics the Optitex dynamic cloth plugin or is it something else?

Yes, these are Optitex items. Fabric setting presets are included, so you don't have to have the advanced control to use it. The basic should work fine.

edited December 1969

No need to worry, after this nice little item is released we'll all know where our towels are. ;-)

yes but what about the peanuts and beer?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited March 2013

...wrong thread... oopsie.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This looks like a nice set. Big thanks for continuing to support Gen4 (and DS3) with dynamic clothing too.

Is there going to be an open or unwrapped version(s) of the towel(s) included? Just a dynamic prop with matching material zones and proportions (and maybe one of those watchamacallem hanging loops) would be a great addition (hair drying poses, wearing it over the shoulder, hanging from a hook or a finger, draped over a chair etc.). I guess an "open" version of a conforming towel would probably just usually be falling off after draping... :)

edited December 1969

Tempest! said:
    This looks like a nice set. Big thanks for continuing to support Gen4 (and DS3) with dynamic clothing too.

Is there going to be an open or unwrapped version(s) of the towel(s) included? Just a dynamic prop with matching material zones and proportions (and maybe one of those watchamacallem hanging loops) would be a great addition (hair drying poses, wearing it over the shoulder, hanging from a hook or a finger, draped over a chair etc.). I guess an "open" version of a conforming towel would probably just usually be falling off after draping... :)

Tempest,

That's where the matching shaders come in! You can use the shaders to match other items to these towels or by themselves in a scene. So, if you want to do a render of V4 washing her face or wrapping a towel around her, you can use pieces from the Controllable Dynamic Shapes or Ultimate Dynamic Pattern Kit and apply the shaders to them. In the bathrobe pic above, There are two of the Controllable Dynamic Shapes, the Peignoir from the Dynamic Nightwear set, and a rag that's a prop from the scene I used--all of which have the matching shaders on them. In the promo for the microfiber colors, the "towel" wrapped around her head is actually the turban from the PC Fortune Teller outfit with the microfiber shader applied to it.

edited December 1969

I sure hope we don't have to wait too much longer for this cool set :D

I was lucky enough to do some testing on this product and here is a render I did for this thread.... hope you enjoy it :)

The shaders that come with this are great and can be used to make matching items... on this render I used the red Terry shader.

MyRedTowel-s.jpg
    1330 x 1995 - 282K
    edited December 1969

"S**n" is have finally become NOW! The towels are out.

http://www.daz3d.com/ds-dynamic-towels/

edited December 1969

Glad to see this has hit the store :)

here is another render.... this time using the terry shader to match a bath towel and a folded towel.

BathroomTowel.jpg
    1332 x 1999 - 480K
    edited December 1969

Great render!

edited March 2013

Just one more from me.... V5 & M5 rendered in luxrender

:)

TowelM5V5.jpg
    1333 x 1999 - 293K
    Post edited by MangeyDesigner on
  • edited March 2013

I bought this towel set yesterday and am quite pleased, but I do have one question. Currently I have a female genesis character with the towel draped around her. She's holding a laser pistol behind her back and as a result the towel goes over her shoulder rather than under her armpit (see picture). I tried moving her right arm out a bit which fixed the problem on the right but created the same issue on the left.

I've not used dynamic clothing before. How do I fix this?

EDIT: I reposed the character to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that's really the best solution. Hmm...

towel-test.png
    247 x 447 - 17K
    Post edited by khobar95_aca528e7cf on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

khobar95 said:
    She's holding a laser pistol behind her back and as a result the towel goes over her shoulder rather than under her armpit (see picture).

Try adjusting the X-scale of the entire towel down a few %. It won't affect the final drape, because the shrinkage will go away as soon as you start the drape run, but it might (maybe not the first time, so experiment a bit) start the run with as little of the towel sticking through the arm as possible. With a bit of luck the towel won't go all the way through the arm.

Note, this shrink might cause a bit of pokethrough at the hip. That will go away once the drape starts.

• edited March 2013

That would be in the "parameter" section, yes? I ask because in the Dynamic Clothing pane I see a Shrink X% when I click "panel" but I can't change anything there.

Unfortunately I've run into a different problem - one I had yesterday and thought I'd figured out. When I click "Drape" the towel now just falls away from my character. It's been working fine today until just now. Any idea why that would be?

EDIT: I deleted the character and then "merged" the character in again. The towel drape worked except for the shoulder (I had fixed this earlier by reposing). So it seems it is not specifically an environment thing. Very frustrating.

EDIT2: I cleared the "Collide With" and then rechecked it and now the draping is working??

I dunno - maybe I missed a couple of cups of coffee today or something. ;)

edited December 1969

one thing I do when trying to get poses like this to drape is to do an animated drape.

Set your timeline to 30 frames and adjust the pose so that the arm with the gun is not so close to the body and not causing that problem (eg draping naturally). go to the last frame and set it as a keyframe for Genesis. now add 5 or 10 frames and goto to the last one and move the arm back to where you want it and then do an animated drape from the first frame.

What will happen is that the drape will gradually work towards the keyframed pose at frame 30 which should not have this issue and then once it gets there it will move the arm in place and by that time the draped towel should be where it needs to be under the arm and not over the shoulder.

this sort of technique with some tweaking and practice helps get drapes that are otherwise quite difficult.

edited December 1969

khobar95 said:
    I bought this towel set yesterday and am quite pleased, but I do have one question. Currently I have a female genesis character with the towel draped around her. She's holding a laser pistol behind her back and as a result the towel goes over her shoulder rather than under her armpit (see picture). I tried moving her right arm out a bit which fixed the problem on the right but created the same issue on the left.

I've not used dynamic clothing before. How do I fix this?

EDIT: I reposed the character to solve the problem, but I'm not sure if that's really the best solution. Hmm...

Khobar,

It looks like her arm is probably intersecting her back right at the top. When a dynamic object is caught between two pieces of mesh, and it's set to collide with both, it will generally try to drape around both. Since her whole arm doesn't really need to collide with the towell, you can turn off collision for everything from the shoulder down. The only arm joint required to keep the towel up is the collar. In fact, when I drape the towel, I always deselect the neck & head, both arms from the shoulder down and both feet. For the male towels, I don't even include the chest and collars. Not only should this prevent intersections with limbs it's not supposed to cover, but it should also result in a faster drape since the dynamics engine won't be trying to calculate for objects the cloth isn't actually touching.

By the way, I'd love to see the final image when you're done!

• edited March 2013

Mesh collision - I thought that might be the problem, especially when I changed the pose a bit and that particular problem went away. I am anxious to try the animation idea as animation is something I want to do ultimately. Nice idea!

ThespiSis: I got a fairly close image yesterday (see attachment). Today, however, the towel once again has the dropsies. I did a reverse angle and moved her arm and that caused the drape to reset and it just fell off. However, I'm working with the collision panel and that seems to be the answer (so far). Thank you!

carla-and-young-ensign-at-the-door-test1-800.jpg
    800 x 520 - 25K
  • nathanHnathanH Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I wonder if someone can help me with this product. I've downloaded it to a Mac using the new Install Manager, so I'm assuming everything is in the correct place. The towels all appear in the correct locations when I open DAZ, but when I try to open it onto the figure (M4, M5, V5) it doesn't appear. In the Scene panel the object appears as TowelLong_Rig, or TowelM4_Rig. It isn't recognized in Shaping or Surfaces(Color), but in the Parameters it will show "Bones" when I turn that on. The Visible and Visible in Render settings are all on.

This is the first time I've tried Dynamic Clothing, so I don't know if there is some other product that I should also have. There is no notice of that in the store, so I thought it wouldn't need anything special.

I'm using a Mac not a PC.

Any help with be appreciated.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

nathanH said:
    I wonder if someone can help me with this product. I've downloaded it to a Mac using the new Install Manager, so I'm assuming everything is in the correct place. The towels all appear in the correct locations when I open DAZ, but when I try to open it onto the figure (M4, M5, V5) it doesn't appear. In the Scene panel the object appears as TowelLong_Rig, or TowelM4_Rig. It isn't recognized in Shaping or Surfaces(Color), but in the Parameters it will show "Bones" when I turn that on. The Visible and Visible in Render settings are all on.

This is the first time I've tried Dynamic Clothing, so I don't know if there is some other product that I should also have. There is no notice of that in the store, so I thought it wouldn't need anything special.

I'm using a Mac not a PC.

Any help with be appreciated.

What version are you using (e.g. DS 4.5.1.56)?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Did you install the Dynamic Clothing Control plug in, without having bought it? (Easily done as it's included with the DS 4.5 Pro downloads.) If so it will have disabled the free basic plug-in and won't be working itself, so you will not be able to use the clothes - uninstall the control plug-in and it should restore the fee version, if not reinstalling DS itself will.