Hiro 5 Render Thread

JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
edited November 2012 in The Commons

Ok after my initial disappointment with the complete release of Hiro 5 I saw the price go down to like 16 dollars for the base and figured I would go ahead and get it.

I downloaded, installed and just started spinning some dials in it in Studio 4.5 just to see what I can get out of him. After two or three days spent playing around with it and my plethora of other morphs I am still not happy with my end result of my first attempt. I just can't get a nice masculine older looking character. If I dial too many of the other Genesis morphs I lose Hiro Almost completely or it just distorts completely.

Here is my First attempt first render feel free to post your images as well

Post edited by JohnDelaquiox on

Comments

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

I don't think Hiro is intended for masculine, older characters. I rarely do anime but I did bought him anyway knowing that he would see far less use than M5 for me.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I know its not really the intended purpose for Hiro 5 but he is just a base morph for Genesis so one should just be able to do more with him

• Proxima ShiningProxima Shining Posts: 969
    edited December 1969

He looks very nice. Definitely more masculine than Hiro5 base, but not that much older, I am afraid. On the other hand, many characters in anime look rather young, even those who are supposed to be in their thirties.

edited December 1969

Thanks Proxima

• CapscesCapsces Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

I think your character looks very nice, John. I've not played with H5 much. This is a render I did when creating poses.:)

H5Angel.jpg
    462 x 600 - 64K
  • Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,038
    edited December 1969

Isn't Hiro a Thailadyboy?

edited November 2012

Hey Beth, Thanks

Have you started on any morphs for Genesis?

I added a third image to the top using a different hair set

I am going to see if my friend Ali can wip up a few more anime inspired hair sets

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

I have a feeling I posted this before, but I can't find it (and as my grandma used to say, I have a brain like a sieve). Anyway, this is the Takeo character with Pure Hair Space and parts of the Dragon Rage outfit.

Although I love anime (and perhaps because I love anime—anime and 3D aren't really compatible for me) I'm not particularly tempted by the more cartoony aspects of Hiro, but I like the range this figure adds for "semi-realistic" fantasy characters.

on_the_roof_again.jpg
    1433 x 1400 - 515K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited November 2012

I think this hits the issue directly. Certain types of characters are best suited for a particular type of conceptual use. They are good for that intended use but brought too far outside it they 'get lost.' The concept of Genesis allowing morphs to work together don't really change this as it's not a physical thing but a stylistic issue.

Nice render btw Hiro, even if you did grab my name ;p

(That last part was also meant as a compliment btw.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Hiro 5 with 50% Mr Hyde added (hands and feet scaled down by -21%)

Hiro-Hyde.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 713K
  • CapscesCapsces Posts: 465
    edited December 1969

Hey Beth, Thanks

Have you started on any morphs for Genesis?

I added a third image to the top using a different hair set

I am going to see if my friend Ali can wip up a few more anime inspired hair sets

I've got some magnets going, but when they will be complete is unknown.;-)

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

This is Hiro 5 using Hitoro head morphs. Maybe I should try a few more.

Hiro5.jpg
    315 x 600 - 24K
  • IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Ok after my initial disappointment with the complete release of Hiro 5 I saw the price go down to like 16 dollars for the base and figured I would go ahead and get it.

I downloaded, installed and just started spinning some dials in it in Studio 4.5 just to see what I can get out of him. After two or three days spent playing around with it and my plethora of other morphs I am still not happy with my end result of my first attempt. I just can't get a nice masculine older looking character. If I dial too many of the other Genesis morphs I lose Hiro Almost completely or it just distorts completely.

Here is my First attempt first render feel free to post your images as well

Looks very nice, a dark and intense character, don't have H5 yet, bought V5 and M5 and saw them given away a few short months later, so going to hang on a bit ;)

edited December 1969

I have a feeling I posted this before, but I can't find it (and as my grandma used to say, I have a brain like a sieve). Anyway, this is the Takeo character with Pure Hair Space and parts of the Dragon Rage outfit.

Although I love anime (and perhaps because I love anime—anime and 3D aren't really compatible for me) I'm not particularly tempted by the more cartoony aspects of Hiro, but I like the range this figure adds for "semi-realistic" fantasy characters.

nice is that H4 or 5, and is that a muscle pack addon? cool render :)

edited December 1969

nice is that H4 or 5, and is that a muscle pack addon? cool render :)
    Thanks, Ian. It's all from the Hiro 5 pro bundle, and the muscles are in the morph of Takeo I think I may have tweaked the face a little, but it's more or less out of the box.

edited December 1969

cool, cheers for the info :)

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I think this hits the issue directly. Certain types of characters are best suited for a particular type of conceptual use. They are good for that intended use but brought too far outside it they 'get lost.' The concept of Genesis allowing morphs to work together don't really change this as it's not a physical thing but a stylistic issue.

Nice render btw Hiro, even if you did grab my name ;p

(That last part was also meant as a compliment btw.)

I actually chose the nick before I knew about the Hiro figure at all. It was an old nick from the character of that name from sci-fi writer Neal Stephenson's book "Snow Crash". Which reminds me, I think the time is ripe for me to re-read it!

I hear what you are saying. From my perspective I disregard the intention of a product and use it in a way that makes artistic sense to me. In the case of the hiro models it has little to do with anime (although in this render I make anime references, such as his being on a roof).

edited December 2012

Here are some new ones I just finished

pretty_hiro_5_9.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 333K
    pretty_hiro_5_5.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 283K
    pretty_hiro_5_2.png
    1414 x 2000 - 3M
    pretty_hiro_5.jpg
    1414 x 2000 - 278K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 2012

..It was an old nick from..."Snow Crash"...

Yes I know where it's from. I'm guessing that's where the Hiro char here got it's name. I like it because it's iconic of the writer's whole style in the book... Hiro Protagonist, as in 'the hero... the protagonist...' ;p

The story was a good take on tounge-in-cheek humor, and wedding it with cyberpunk, which is usually dark was inspired :)

Iirc, Stephenson named the book that because he had an old apple computer which when crashed went to a white static screen similar to old tube tvs, the type that showed traces of the sound of the universe in it's static patterns.

Any other cyberpunk fans out there?

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Nice really like the face.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:

Yes I know where it's from. I'm guessing that's where the Hiro char here got it's name. I like it because it's iconic of the writer's whole style in the book... Hiro Protagonist, as in 'the hero... the protagonist...' ;p

It's more likely because Hiro is a fairly well-known Japanese name (or name component*) and sounds like "hero", so chosen for somewhat similar reasons to Stephenson's. There was also a character called Hiro in the US TV series "Heroes".

* In Japan "Hiro" is usually, although not always, short for a longer name, such as Hiroyuki or Hiromichi (somehow I can't imagine Emperor Shōwa, Hirohito, having being called "Hiro", though!).

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

I actually chose the nick before I knew about the Hiro figure at all. It was an old nick from the character of that name from sci-fi writer Neal Stephenson's book "Snow Crash". Which reminds me, I think the time is ripe for me to re-read it!

I had totally forgotten about the character's name, time for a re-read indeed, I quite enjoyed that book at the time.
    Bought it because i loved Cryptonomicon so much, still one of my all-time-favourites, although you'd have to be a bit of a nerd/math-geek to really enjoy that one (that's what everyone i recommended it to said anyway)
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

HOT!! <3</p>

What skin is that? I MUST have your formula.

edited December 1969

My formula is about two days worth of dialing and screaming and about four headaches.

Ash from ManiHoni over renderosity!

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

I have been getting into zbrush sculpting recently, and did make an attempt at sculpting a Hiro5 morph that made him look older and more masculine while retaining his anime features (we usually refer to this as bara).

Hiro5BaraTest.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 301K
  • waningmoonwaningmoon Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I have been getting into zbrush sculpting recently, and did make an attempt at sculpting a Hiro5 morph that made him look older and more masculine while retaining his anime features (we usually refer to this as bara).

looks nice. looking forward to any further WIP's.

regards,
    waningmoon

edited December 1969

That actually looks really good BT

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

I recently bought the Hiro 5 pro bundle and really like it. While I was at it I also got the CMG Hiroism add-ons. So here are some renders I did this weekend.

There's Yasahiro, Hiroko, and Toshiro. The poses and textures come from the Hiro 5 pro bundle. Yasahiro wears the Dragon Rage outfit, and Hiroko has on the Octavius shirt. Yasahiro uses the Takeo textures; Hiroko and Toshiro use Arashi.

The dojo came from ShareCG, and the brick wall (part of a building) came from Blendswap.

The dojo scene was assembled in DS 4.5. Toshiro was posed in DS, but other parts of the scene were added in Blender. I used the mcjTeleblender script to export to Blender (v2.65.10) and set up my own custom material nodes there. Cameras and lighting were set up in Blender too. Toshiro was originally posed with PH Sassy, but I tried my hand at particle/strand hair in Blender. That uses up a lot of RAM! Also, in Blender I did some minor sculpting and vertex pushing to fix any clothing and hair issues caused by the characters' poses.

Rendering was done with Blender Cycles in Ubuntu 12.04 since it is a bit faster than Windows 7.

toshiro3.jpg
    960 x 1280 - 462K
    dojo0.jpg
    990 x 725 - 257K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,798
    edited December 1969

Is it wrong that once Aiko 5 comes out that I have intentions for rendering scenes of Hiro dumping Hitomi to get back with his ex? :)

• daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited March 2013

Here's a new render with characters based on Hiro 5 and Hiroism CMG. I put it together before I had Aiko 5, so I used one of the female morphs from Hiroism. It's just not quite the same, is it? Anyway, this trio was just waiting for a nice environment to start a fight in, so as soon as Stonemason's Walled City came on sale in March Madness, I had to pick it up. :)

trio4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by daveleitz on