How to open Bryce 7 file with Bryce 6.1? (Or save as 6.1 in 7?)

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Hi!

If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it! I'm sure there are many work arounds....

I built something complicated using Bryce 7 on my laptop, need to incorporate it with a much larger project I built in Bryce 6.1. Here's the issue, due to the problems with Bryce 7 with OS 7 and greater, to make a long story short, I need to be able to get it workable on another computer in Bryce 6.1 Any suggestions? I can't open Bryce 7 files with 6.1, and the exporting object idea hasn't worked, nor has copy and paste.....

Thanks!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited March 2013

Hi!

If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it! I'm sure there are many work arounds....

I built something complicated using Bryce 7 on my laptop, need to incorporate it with a much larger project I built in Bryce 6.1. Here's the issue, due to the problems with Bryce 7 with OS 7 and greater, to make a long story short, I need to be able to get it workable on another computer in Bryce 6.1 Any suggestions? I can't open Bryce 7 files with 6.1, and the exporting object idea hasn't worked, nor has copy and paste.....

Thanks!

Bryce is backwards compatible, that is you can open a 6.1 source file with 7, as you will see in the open dialogue (see attachment).

However, Bryce 6.1 cannot open 7. You should be able to export from 7 as obj format, but not materials. Set those to grey and you should be OK, depending on what you are trying to export? This is something I'm looking at at the moment.

Bryce 10 minute talk - convert to mesh and mesh object export basics - a tutorial by David Brinnen

First of a few exporting video's when I get the chance to record more.

Image1.jpg
    543 x 452 - 107K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Lots of changes were made in Bryce 7 in regards to boolean handling and the material lab is very different due to the addition of displacement , anisotropy and advanced bump options. for this reason Bryce 6 would crash trying to interpret materials built in bryce 7 even if those materials dont use any of the new features. Aside from David's suggestion, this one is a no go. You'd be better off trying to figure out a way to get the old Bryce 6 file merged into a bryce 7 file or something. Best of luckl

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

The file signature for the Bryce 7.1 files is still 6.0. You can rename myfile.br7 to myfile.br6 and it opens in Bryce 6. If you haven't used any of the new features that came from 6.0 to 7.1, the file ought to work without problems. At least, it is worth a try.