Newbie question on content

Ripley KingRipley King Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I use DAZ 4.5, and Bryce 7 pro. What I would like to do is load the Bryce 5.0 Content Pack and other things I have for Bryce, so I can actually use them in Bryce. Anything would helpful.

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

Should be no problem, they are all compatible.

Have the Bryce 5 content on your drive (they should be a set of .obp files).
    Open Bryce and go to 'Create', then click the little triangle to enter into your object pre-sets library.
    At bottom left it says 'Installed'. If you click to the right of that you get a sub menu, the other option being 'User'
    Choose user and create a new sub section using the little plus sign. Give it a recognisable name that corresponds to what you're going to add to it (so if you're adding boats, call the sub section boats).
    Click the tick and then in the bottom of the library window click 'import'.
    Navigate to where your Bryce 5 content is and choose an .obp file to import.
    It will then appear in the first available blank square with a little preview.
    Rinse and repeat with the other content you wish to add.

Alternatively, you can manually drag the files from their present folder into the corresponding folder that your Bryce 7 uses but as I'm on a Mac, your would be a different path, so I'll let someone else give you instructions about doing it that way.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • Ripley KingRipley King Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have the programs, I'm a PC, but in running the exe's, what file path should I use in the first place? That would be the place to start for me. If I can get the programs downloaded in the first place. I'll check back tomorrow, and give it a go.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I have the programs, I'm a PC, but in running the exe's, what file path should I use in the first place? That would be the place to start for me. If I can get the programs downloaded in the first place. I'll check back tomorrow, and give it a go.

If you're using Win7/8/Vista, be sure to install Bryce OUTSIDE of Program Files/Program Files (x86).

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@TerryFoxxe - do as fixmypcmike said. Even better, install on another drive. As for the Bryce 5 Content pack: there are files that may go everywhere as long as you can find them, but there are others that need to be at a particular place. This document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BryceContent_v4.pdf should help you sorting this out.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

If you're using Win7/8/Vista, be sure to install Bryce OUTSIDE of Program Files/Program Files (x86).

why - I have Bryce there - works great .

edited December 1969

Downloaded the PDF. Thanks.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Some content must be in a subfolder of the application folder, which Windows will protect.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Some content must be in a subfolder of the application folder, which Windows will protect.

Yup, I think I've read that if you don't use the content for a while Windows will move it without asking and then Bryce can't find it anymore.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Yup, I think I've read that if you don't use the content for a while Windows will move it without asking and then Bryce can't find it anymore.

Yikes, didn't know that. Anybody know of an example item of content that has this problem that I can check for that I might now be missing, or do you mean ALL content (in which case I'll notice for sure when it happens.)
    edited March 2013

Sorry, can't help you anymore than I have. And bear in mind I may even be wrong about that, it's just something I think I remember reading about.

If I'm remembering correctly (no guarantee), then there is something in Windows that thinks that inactive files may be trojans or something and it puts them in a kind of quarantine area. This doesn't happen if they are not installed where Windows would usually put them.

Edit to add: The content isn't lost for ever, it can be found and moved back so that Bryce sees it again.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

where do you guys come up with this stuff !

edited December 1969

No, none. This is a misconception as far as Windows is concerned.. Bryce can be installed wherever you like, preferably not on the C drive. The same is true for Studio. I have several Bryce installed from 4 up, also some betas. I also have 3 Studio versions installed, 2.3, 3 and 4.5. All work.

NonC.gif
    877 x 392 - 38K
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

Mostly from half reading stuff that PC users write on the forum... I say half reading because my eyes tend to glaze over when someone mentions Windows. :cheese:

Edit to add: This morning I have a distinct feeling that I may have been getting two problems mixed into one. I seem to remember the problem with content not going where it should was not because of Windows but because someone was trying to instal content with Nortons Anti-Virus enabled or something... still I may be wrong... my eyes are glazing just thinking about it. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I must admit that having read all the things one must not do when installing stuff into Windoze 7 or 8, when I had this new computer built I had 2 hard drives installed, one has nothing on it but OS, browsers AV and similar, the other has all my program files on it, to avoid all those pitfalls that seem to occur when running installers to Win 7. It is far fussier than XP was. Windoze (from Vista upwards) does not like many of the programs DAZ 3D users commonly use installed into "program files" on the C drive it seems. It has caused users a lot of problems, especially with programs like Daz Studio and Poser.

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Mostly from half reading stuff that PC users write on the forum... I say half reading because my eyes tend to glaze over when someone mentions Windows. :cheese:

Edit to add: This morning I have a distinct feeling that I may have been getting two problems mixed into one. I seem to remember the problem with content not going where it should was not because of Windows but because someone was trying to instal content with Nortons Anti-Virus enabled or something... still I may be wrong... my eyes are glazing just thinking about it. :)

:lol:
    you much use a mac :)

edited December 1969

I still don't understand half of what your people say. That's why I ghost, for the most part. I only post when I got a problem I can't figure out on my own.

The only real problem I've run into is not having enough virtual memory with larger scenes. I've bumped it up in increments of 5000 twice. As for the file systems, DAZ and Bryce, they certainly leave a lot to be desired. I would love to have grouped items together in one spot. Hair in hair, weapons in weapons. One thing I didn't know was it was possible to use my D drive for running the actual programs.

Right now, if it isn't broke, I ain't messing with it. LOL

Thanks for the tips. I like what you were doing with fractals, too.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

So far, let me go find some wood, I've not had any trouble with either Bryce or DAZ Studio being under Program Files. To my knowledge Windows 7 has not moved anything, and Bryce has found everything it needs when loading. I have a separate folder for saving created images outside the Program Files, and store some Bryce documents under Documents in a Bryce Documents folder.

Terry, the more you watch David's/Horo's videos, or anyone's for that matter, and the more you use Bryce, the more you'll understand what people are talking about. I understand more now than I did a few months ago since I'm using Bryce more often. But there are times I'm totally lost after reading someone's post.

edited March 2013

IThe only real problem I've run into is not having enough virtual memory with larger scenes. I've bumped it up in increments of 5000 twice.

If you're on Windows and your machine has at least 4 GB of memory, consider making Bryce Large Address Aware. It can then use around 3.4 GB instead of 2. Making a program LAA is just setting a flag in Windows. Here's a free tool I've been using for quite a while: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 just scroll down a bit.
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

I'll pass for now on the program. Bryce works fine for me, and I have no problem with games. It's simply getting the content where I can use it. Just today I noticed that the programs won't open if I clicked the programs loaded correctly in my ignorance. LOL Maybe delete those programs and download fresh versions?

One thing I would like to know is how to upload Bryce and DAZ to my D drive. Do I add a folder called programs, or a documents folder? Maybe I should say a mirror of the folders DAZ and Bryce is in on the C drive?

edited December 1969

You can install to any folders you like; mine are installed in D:\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4_64 and D:\DAZ 3D\Bryce7 -- deliberately not using Program Files, just in case.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

My folders are even simpler. I have D / Bryce and D / Poser and D / Photoshop etc

Only thing I would add, if you do by chance install more than one version of Bryce then have subfolders for Bryce 7 Bryce 6 etc inside the Bryce folder.

edited December 1969

Okay, Thanks for the tips, and I'll see what happens.