I feel ashamed...

edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi,

I've just realized that I've been on the forum since the end of Dec 2012 and that i did not introduce myself! Shame on me!

So here I am not an old bachelor and likely to remain so as would say Professor Higgins (see My fair lady:-) ) , French, living in Paris, and retired from a financial career mostly in the banking business.

I'm here by chance as I was trying to find a way to create a figure out of a stoned victim of Pompeii eruption of 79 AD. I'm more interested at the beginning by video editing and I'm developing a project to edit all my videos made on that incredible archaeological site that I've visited probably 10 times.

The idea behind the project is inspired by a French novel of Theophile Gauthier called "Arria Marcela". This writer is well know of horror movies fans as one of his novel, "the story of the mummy" was the source of many films since the beginning of this industry.

When I began with DAZ studio 4.5 in December 2012 I had no idea of what 3D modeling was but was quickly amazed of the possibilities it opened for my project. I found ready made monuments of Pompeii in Sketchup, and was able with Bryce to import them and more or less modify some errors, my quest for the stone figure was fulfilled and now the second stage is to light the whole scene, and animate my corpse which will transform itself gradually from stone to living flesh and will be the guide of my viewer, if any become interested in the final render and movie. At least I'll be the one and only spectator! lol!

I want already to thank all those of you (Richard Haseltine, Chohole , Jaderail, mjc1016, and others whom I forgot their names but who will excuse my aging memory) for all the help they already gave me not sparing their time to hasten my real folly!
This is the stage of my project which could not having being achieved in so short a time without them:

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Heya jvdesuit1

If you're trying to recreate the plaster casts of Pompeii victims, I would suggest a low poly solution...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66007/gallery/5/3D-Model/Low-Polygon-MakeHuman-Proxies-in-Genesis-Pose

These meshes can be given the Genesis bones with the transfer utility. If you wish, start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread on the DAZ Studio discussion and you'll get a lot of help on how to approach it and procedures.

• edited December 1969

wancow said:
    Heya jvdesuit1

If you're trying to recreate the plaster casts of Pompeii victims, I would suggest a low poly solution...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/66007/gallery/5/3D-Model/Low-Polygon-MakeHuman-Proxies-in-Genesis-Pose

These meshes can be given the Genesis bones with the transfer utility. If you wish, start a WIP (Work in Progress) thread on the DAZ Studio discussion and you'll get a lot of help on how to approach it and procedures.

Thanks for the tip Wancow but I solved the problem as you can see with the M4 character and the position is that of one of the victims found in the orchard of one of the villas. For the skin i put a texture of plaster made by a guy from shareCG. I should perhaps try to review the tiling. Moreover I put under the plaster a roman tunic I think I found at the store or at shareCG, I don't remember. To modelize I should have not only face and profile but also a back view of the statue , which I don't have and nobody can't as the different victims are in showcases for one and in a closed window in the orchard.

I think that what I achieved for this figure is not too bad and as the set will be plunged in a gloomy night atmosphere some of the defects wont show.

• edited March 2013

wancow said:
    Heya jvdesuit1

Tell me Wancow in which folder should I install the sharecg low poly addon you advised. There is no infos about installation with it. (by the way I think we should open a thread somewhere else for this discussion...)

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I've just opened one hear-----> http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18846/

Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
  • Ovi33123Ovi33123 Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

Really here I feel ashamed…

lux lighting

Post edited by Ovi33123 on
  • edited December 1969

Ovi33123 said:
    Really here I feel ashamed…

I suppose you're joking !lol!
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

You're not the first, and not the last, who forgot to post a "hi, I'm here." We're just glad you are! Your project looks fascinating.
    Cathie

• edited March 2013

Novica said:
    You're not the first, and not the last, who forgot to post a "hi, I'm here." We're just glad you are! Your project looks fascinating.
    Cathie

Thanks Cathie. Well the project is getting to its climax! How to make the statue crumble and let appear the live Roman underneath. I think I've
    found the solution by using After Effects Demo and one of VideoPilot demo project too. Look at this. http://youtu.be/iGNuipHDnrc .The tutorial
    is complete. This young is mastermind in explaining how to use the program. I've downloaded most of his tutorials. This will be a major help for learning this incredible software. The more and more I take a look at it the more I think I will buy it although it's very expensive (around 1300$). If I could come to the States this year I would buy here where it is 45% less expensive than in France.

I have done yesterday the traveling inside the corridor of the Palestra leading to the statued man and its replica in the same position and place is done too. Today I'll begin crumbling! Unfortunately it seems I cant post hear videos to show the result.

The_corpse.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 658K
    The_eve_of_tragedy.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 752K
    Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
  • blargyblueblargyblue Posts: 0
    edited April 2013

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I love the plaster cast of (around) the skeleton coming to life and becoming a real flesh and blood person. Then he guides the viewer around Pompeii.

I was always fascinated by Pompeii. I saw an exhibit of artifacts when they went on tour. I saw a plaster cast very close up, and it made me sad. In there was once a person.

Wonder how it felt to walk around Pompeii.

Post edited by blargyblue on
  • edited December 1969

Sounds like a brilliant idea. I love the plaster cast of (around) the skeleton coming to life and becoming a real flesh and blood person. Then he guides the viewer around Pompeii.

I was always fascinated by Pompeii. I saw an exhibit of artifacts when they went on tour. I saw a plaster cast very close up, and it made me sad. In there was once a person.

Wonder how it felt to walk around Pompeii.

Thanks; the project is now well on the road; I'm using Adobe After Effects and have expanded the scenario to outer space!!! The movie will begin in a Star Wars like opening; "Once upon a time, in a far far away galaxy, a mission is under way, The time travelers begin their exploration..."
    You wont see any spaceship but you will be on one of them and traveling through hyperspace, the viewer will pass by nebulae and Jupiter, Mars and finally zoom down onto the Vesuvius which will explode at the end of the zoom! There will be a few images taken from of a documentary on Pompeii showing the remnants of the victims and at last one will enter the Palestra's corridor and discover the plaster cast
    skeleton. I have nearly finished the different shots through space and the zoom; I'm just now rotobrushing videos of volcanos erupting to just
    isolate the flow of lava and fumes as to superimpose them on the Vesuvius. I would have shown some of the shots, but cant do it here as the system does not accepts videos uploads.

• blargyblueblargyblue Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That sounds great and would also make a great story for a video game I think.