Luxus discussion

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited March 2013

Bobvan said:
    Wood shaders work fine for me I used them on the table in this set http://fav.me/d4ym7wp

Nice job on the diamond

DAZ's wood shader? I can use luxrender wood mats just fine,

thanks for the diamond comment,

I realised I needed some relfections to make it look even plausable, so I used a cube mesh light (.5m a side) and the scene is inside a 12 sided cylinder (white glossy material) which gave me the reflections on the diamond ( I think, could just be the mesh light showing up there.. )

Post edited by Rareth on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited March 2013

I have several wood shaders including some with Macs sets most stuff does translate with Reality just need to tweak the materials. No matter what plug in one uses i thin it's best to do so.. I know we will have much more options in R3

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited March 2013

Kerya said:
    ...Just that LuxRender, contrary to DS, never stops....

It is my understanding that unbiased rendering engines do eventually reach resolution, just that the point at which they do is far longer then anyone would care to let them go, especially as it becomes a case of diminishing returns. It's a subtle point, but sometimes subtle points can make a world of difference in some strange situation. As for a 'working' reference, it effectively never stops.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

This has got too complicated. And I like complication.

Applying natural surfaces with Luxus is a nightmare.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    This has got too complicated. And I like complication.

Applying natural surfaces with Luxus is a nightmare.

What do you mean by a natural surface?

edited December 1969

I am not proficient in the finer points of Lux material settings. If I were I'd use Luxblender.
    The main reason I use Studio, is that I do not what to deal with the complications of Luxblender.

edited December 1969

We can probably help you out. What kind of surface are you looking for?

edited December 1969

At the least I'd like to see some generic presets that take full advantage of Lux. SSS human skin would be a good start.

• clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    I'd like to see some generic presets that take full advantage of Lux. SSS human skin would be a good start.

+1

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    At the least I'd like to see some generic presets that take full advantage of Lux. SSS human skin would be a good start.

The automatic translation of Human/UberSurface is a SSS skin. It is a glossytranslucent with a scattering volume.

To setup a similar thing manually, take a look at the LuxusText scene. Its skin is a little on the pink side, but it shows how to get a more organic look.

The autotranslation of Human/UberSurface can be improved, but to achieve the maximum possibe realness, an artist will have to make textures specifically for LuxRender. I am guessing this is not what you want to hear. Hopefully artist will embrace LuxRender.

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

The automatic translation of Human/UberSurface is a SSS skin. It is a glossytranslucent with a scattering volume.

To setup a similar thing manually, take a look at the LuxusText scene. Its skin is a little on the pink side, but it shows how to get a more organic look.

The autotranslation of Human/UberSurface can be improved, but to achieve the maximum possibe realness, an artist will have to make textures specifically for LuxRender. I am guessing this is not what you want to hear. Hopefully artist will embrace LuxRender.

They should its a great rendering engine and it's free

edited December 1969

Hmm. Bree at default looks not good. Blue SSS .

I'm not convinced.

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    Hmm. Bree at default looks not good. Blue SSS .

I'm not convinced.

I will certainly see about improving it.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    It is my understanding that unbiased rendering engines do eventually reach resolution, just that the point at which they do is far longer then anyone would care to let them go

I think it would be more technically correct to say they eventually run into the brick wall that is numerical precision. And that isn't necessarily as far out there as you might want to believe it is. Lux uses floats for speed and to reduce memory consumption. If it switched to doubles then the second half of your statement probably becomes true. But such a change would have a very serious impact on performance and memory requirements.
  • IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

Any word on the basic tutorials for first timers from Bluebird 3D?
    I don't understand a word being said in this thread anymore. :)

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Any word on the basic tutorials for first timers from Bluebird 3D?
    I don't understand a word being said in this thread anymore. :)

yes please, I thought Daz had them on Friday, tho it is only Tuesday, maybe it will be s**n :)

• InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

1) good (and a bit scary) to know.

2) DS' UberArea Light doesn't actually accept textures that will (realistically) effect the light emitted by the mesh in any real meaningful way so I wasn't even thinking about it in Lux. Interesting, that changes things in a really big way:-)

You can get renders that are done in under 1000S/p, but it depends a lot on scene construction, and they almost always are lit by a single IBL. Which brings me to the other point I forgot to mention: Not only does Lux prefer HDRs for environment lights, but you will get significantly better render performance if you load them as an infinite light rather than as an area light, such as your ring is. When you use an area light, internally Lux basically treats each face in the mesh as a separate light. The more faces in the mesh, the slower it will render. If you are going to create separate HDR resources for use in Lux, you'd be best off using one of the projection mappings that Lux supports so they can be loaded as an IBL, which counts as only a single light internally and thus renders much faster. See http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Environment_map for details on the projections supported.

I'm sorry, we've been misunderstanding each other. The Ring of Light is not, was not designed to be, and isn't intended to be an IBL. I'm sure it's the 'environment lighting' tag that lead to the misunderstanding. Thanks for the help and the links. They have really helped me get a better understanding of lighting settings and values in Lux :-)

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I'm sorry, we've been misunderstanding each other. The Ring of Light is not, was not designed to be, and isn't intended to be an IBL.

Yes, I know Ring of Light is not meant to be an IBL, but rather uses area light techniques. I was just making suggestions for what needs to be considered if you make future products that you want to also provide optimal support for LuxRender in.

And even without being an IBL, HDRs are still better for area lights such as Ring of Lights than LDRs are.

edited March 2013

There are some tweaks to get SSS looking right, someone here posted setting to use with the Glossy Translucent with homogenous volume, which were a good start,

3 hours 50 minutes 2.82K S/p

lux-hand.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 31K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

oooh got me eyes peeled now Rareth. ;)

I am still playing with the one small scene.

Changed the area in to a SunSky2 but it states in the LuxWiki that to get softer shadows try adjsting the Sun Size parameter which I see in Daz Studio. Up or down for softer and how far. I tried 2.00 and -2.00 an didn't see much difference or should I be waiting longer at render to see the results. Yeah I know I should wiat until I get a better computer so I can test this myself but it is so much fun I just want to learn more now. ;)

• NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

I think I need some help. Please?

I have LuxRender installed, and up and running, my DAZ Studio is 4.5 Pro, but, when I tried to install Luxus, and tried to check Help >About Installed Plugins, it gives me a red mouse icon. When I clicked on Luxus, the information window said that the 'Plugin Failed to Load!' with the reason 'Library could not be loaded. File is not a valid DAZ Studio plug-in, or was made for a different version of DAZ Studio.' I even redownloaded the exe for the plugin.

I had had to redownload Studio 4.5 a month or two ago, and I thought I had the latest version, but the 'About DAZ Studio' window says that it's version 4.5.0.26. Is that what I've done?

I have Windows 7 on a 32 bit system.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Would it be possible to add an 'Auto Transfer' option to the 'Luxus - LuxRender Material' box? I'm slowly learning how to setup materials, but it would be a lot easier if the material settings could be auto-populated with what they get set to if you send the scene to LuxRender with DS materials.

edited March 2013

NV Oracle said:

I have LuxRender installed, and up and running, my DAZ Studio is 4.5 Pro, but, when I tried to install Luxus, and tried to check Help >About Installed Plugins, it gives me a red mouse icon. When I clicked on Luxus, the information window said that the 'Plugin Failed to Load!' with the reason 'Library could not be loaded. File is not a valid DAZ Studio plug-in, or was made for a different version of DAZ Studio.' I even redownloaded the exe for the plugin.

I had had to redownload Studio 4.5 a month or two ago, and I thought I had the latest version, but the 'About DAZ Studio' window says that it's version 4.5.0.26. Is that what I've done?

make sure you have the 32 bit version of Luxus it comes in both 32 and 64 bit versions, I downloaded the wrong one at first too.

Studio should be 4.5.1.56

Post edited by Rareth on
  • jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:

The current version of Daz Studio is 4.5.1.56, not sure if Luxus requires the latest version or not.
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited March 2013

I've never been able to get good hybrid results from Lux, but with all the options on the table with Luxus I'm getting there. I don't know what Reality uses as default settings when using hybrid, but it just never worked out for me. Fireflies be gone!

Does Luxus support DOF? I'm sure the question has been asked already, but I haven't been able to find the answer. That's a little something I'm missing from Reality 2 right now.

I'm also finding that Lux is closing down on me unexpectedly. A few times I've come back to check progress from an extended absence and found Lux had decided to close. Just did it right then actually! :( Is this happening to anyone else?

I know this image still has quite a bit of noise, but compared to my previous experiences with hybrid I'm very happy. Hmm... just lost my last image. Must have forgotten to take it out of temp (bad idea to default to there in my opinion). This one is kinda close anyway - slightly more noise.

EDIT: not sure what is going on here, but the uploaded image is far brighter than it is on my pc. Sigh everything goes crazy at once.

EDIT 2: Now a little dark XD. It'll do.

d9x.jpg
    600 x 810 - 215K
    Post edited by Jim_1831252 on
    edited December 1969

Reality supports DOF as far as I know

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I know. Said as much in my post :D

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I've got a textfile where I am saving stuff said in the Luxus threads ... so not my wisdom, just accumulated ...

About Hybrid:

Keep in mind that Hybrid BiDir is broken. It’s “experimental” at best. Even the Lux devs will tell you this. If you want to use Hybrid mode, always select Path. Hybrid Path in 1.2 finally supports almost everything CPU mode does, with a few exceptions like (nested) instances. I still see differences in the quality of renders between Path and Hybrid Path, though, with CPU-mode being more accurate. To get the most performance out of the Hybrid modes, you really have to tweak a few of the settings like raybuffersize and statebuffercount as these are highly dependent on your specific CPU and GPU combination.

On unexpected exits:
    this may have been mentioned in the 22 pages of this thread but as you begin to get comfortable and more creative with you new found power keep in mind LuxRender is a very memory intensive engine and can swallow up 8 or 12 or 16GB RAM in no time even when it’s running all by itself, especially when you start adding more figures and geometries. You can generally see this when your render have been running for a long time with little going on in calculations.
    heres a tip for some of you new LuxRender converts if you start running into this problem.
    Luxconsole can be started by typing “luxconsole” or “./luxconsole” in a terminal window* and it will generally use less RAM than launching the GUI. I’ve used this method when “all else fails” and it has worked on many occasions.
    luxconsole filename.lxs
    *Windows users go to the Start Menu and type “cmd” without the quotes to bring up a command prompt

I hope this helps.

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    NV Oracle said:

The current version of Daz Studio is 4.5.1.56, not sure if Luxus requires the latest version or not.
    Running fine here on 4.5.1.6
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

I finally got a chance to really give Luxus ago... and here are the results.

Emma2.jpg
    1200 x 961 - 188K
This discussion has been closed.