bloody amazing Howie!!

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
edited March 2013 in Carrara Discussion
Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

It looks fantastic.... made me think of the scene in the Shining.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

It certainly looks enticing. But I'm still fuzzy on using the DIM so I have been reluctant to make purchases lately.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,784
    edited December 1969

I did not use DIM, I doubt it would download this anyway.

edited December 1969

I did not use DIM, I doubt it would download this anyway.

Oh yeah...DIM doesn't know what to do with Carrara stuff...I blame old age for not recalling that.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Yep, you don't need DIM to purchase and install content.

• magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

amazing work! gonna grab it

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Thanx for the heads-up Wendy, posted news here: http://carraracafe.com/

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    edited December 1969

I gotta get this! Rosie and I could get 'lost' (tee hee hee) in there for hours! :vampire:

• DifferentlyAliveDifferentlyAlive Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Was wondering when we will see some new Howie stuff! Looking forward to it!

- Frank

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Looking good Howie.
    Thanks for the new set!

edited March 2013

I did myself a 360 but think I have wrong leaves again

maze_top.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    maze.gif
    500 x 500 - 7M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,187
    edited December 1969

Yup, I had to get it as soon as I saw it. Reminds me of a nice trip to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampton_Court_Maze

I also had to get "Country Lane 2" because ... can't think of a reason. Just got it. Howie makes Carrara as good as Vue for landscapes.

• whispers65whispers65 Posts: 952
    edited December 1969

I don't even use Carrara (learning Daz Studio only at this point, and not that great yet especially with renders). I'm not even sure what Carrara is or what it is supposed to do or capable of but just wanted to drop down in the Carrara section when I saw this maze and then I saw this tread. I think this Maze is "amazing". I'm so tempted to look into Carrara just for this if nothing else.

*Ok, slobber mode off*

I just think it looks really great! And there is something about it that I really, really like. Lately, every time I see some amazing scenery, it has Howie's name on it and then I see "Carrara" and am scared off lol.

edited December 1969

I just think it looks really great! And there is something about it that I really, really like. Lately, every time I see some amazing scenery, it has Howie's name on it and then I see "Carrara" and am scared off lol.

Don't fear it...embrace it! Carrara blows D|S out of the water.

You might say that I'm biased though...

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I don't even use Carrara (learning Daz Studio only at this point, and not that great yet especially with renders). I'm not even sure what Carrara is or what it is supposed to do or capable of but just wanted to drop down in the Carrara section when I saw this maze and then I saw this tread. I think this Maze is "amazing". I'm so tempted to look into Carrara just for this if nothing else.

*Ok, slobber mode off*

The reason you don't see Howie Farkes scenes in DAZ Studio is because D/S simply doesn't have the capabilities needed to load the scene. Specifically, replicators, plant generators and most likely volumetric effects for the forest scenes.

Carrara is more of a full featured 3D suite if that makes sense. It has a Spline modeler, Vertex modeler, Meta-ball modeler, terrain generator, plant generator, true volumetric clouds, a powerful procedural shader system, natively loads Poser style figures and props, the Carrara 8.5 beta is working on introducing Genesis support and there are tons of other features that I haven't even mentioned.

Go here to see some Carrara galleries and be sure to check out the Showcase Gallery and the best of 2012 Gallery. There are other user galleries there as well.

edited December 1969

*Ok, slobber mode off*

The reason you don't see Howie Farkes scenes in DAZ Studio is because D/S simply doesn't have the capabilities needed to load the scene. Specifically, replicators, plant generators and most likely volumetric effects for the forest scenes.

Carrara is more of a full featured 3D suite if that makes sense. It has a Spline modeler, Vertex modeler, Meta-ball modeler, terrain generator, plant generator, true volumetric clouds, a powerful procedural shader system, natively loads Poser style figures and props, the Carrara 8.5 beta is working on introducing Genesis support and there are tons of other features that I haven't even mentioned.

Go here to see some Carrara galleries and be sure to check out the Showcase Gallery and the best of 2012 Gallery. There are other user galleries there as well.

Go where to see the galleries? Sorry I'm not seeing them.

Yeah, I guess that would be a big question is what of my stuff I've bought could I use in Carrara if any. I've invested quite a bit at this point lol. And pricewise to buy Pro isn't bad but might have to wait a bit.

edited December 1969

on content

pretty well all Poser format stuff works, but not studio specific stuff except new .duf format in beta
    (shaders may need tweeking for highlight and Poser proceedurals may not work)
    and of couse not Poser dynamic hair but Carrara has its own hair
    animated cloth sims can be imported after using dyntomorph py script in Poser
    Carrara inbuilt bullet softbody not suited for animation but some draping possible.
    Genesis works for some in the C8.5beta (including me but I get a lot of random freeze ups and errors at times)
    as a studio user you may need to get used to a few differences in interface.
    Poser scenes can be opened in Carrara and many Poser users have used it as a render engine.

edited December 1969

on content

pretty well all Poser format stuff works, but not studio specific stuff except new .duf format in beta
    (shaders may need tweeking for highlight and Poser proceedurals may not work)
    and of couse not Poser dynamic hair but Carrara has its own hair
    animated cloth sims can be imported after using dyntomorph py script in Poser
    Carrara inbuilt bullet softbody not suited for animation but some draping possible.
    Genesis works for some in the C8.5beta (including me but I get a lot of random freeze ups and errors at times)
    as a studio user you may need to get used to a few differences in interface.
    Poser scenes can be opened in Carrara and many Poser users have used it as a render engine.

Hmmm...that sounds interesting. I do have a lot of poser content so maybe I wouldn't be in that bad of a shape but I do like to use Genesis for characters and such. I mainly like place such as warehouses, houses, etc but I like a lot of outdoors stuff and usually only see big scenes like that for Carrara but I would want to use people, props, etc if possible in addition to the scenery that's why I wasn't sure what Carrara could do.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I have C8.5s browser set to 25 runtimes, and studio's "my library". Once and a while I hit a poser item that wont load right, but it's rare. Using your poser runtime in carrara is as easy as adding it to carrara's browser ;) And I use clothes from my M4 runtime on genesis from my "my library" all the time with little issue; other then autofit being a crap shot if cloths fit or not. I've found quite often the figures back comes out of the clothes.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

I am almost tempted to go ahead and purchase. I don't know if I would ever have a chance to get it free like daz pro a while back. A long time back I had purchased it also. So that's one thought.

The other thought would be renders. I have a prob now and can never get anything to look like the promos. So if Carrara was the same way then I'm less likely to purchase as I'm not knowledgable enough to do all that other stuff. I can set up a scene and get ok result on rendering , nothing great like promos.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread. It wasn't my intention. I just really appreciate the beauty of howie's products. I could go ahead and buy. I'm not afraid of making purchase mistakes. Then I could buy a couple I howie's products I've always had my eyes on and give it a shot? I didn't see a trial version of Carrara.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI whispers65

I don’t know if I would ever have a chance to get it free like daz pro a while back. A long time back I had purchased it also. So that’s one thought.

C6 and C7were both featured on the Cover-Disk of 3D Magazines,. so you could wait to see if that happens to C8,.
    but,. it may not happen.

if you have either C6, or C7, then you should be eligible for upgrade pricing.

I have a prob now and can never get anything to look like the promos. So if Carrara was the same way then I’m less likely to purchase as I’m not knowledgable enough to do all that other stuff.

What you see in a carrara promo image, is exactly what you'll get when you render that scene.

All the lighting, sky, terrain, plants, etc are saved in the scene,. so you simply load and render.

I didn’t see a trial version of Carrara.[/quote

There's a Trail / Demo version of Carrara 8 Pro,. for PC and MAc, avalable on CNET www.downloads.com
    search for Daz Carrara.

Hope it helps :)

edited December 1969

Ok well I'm pretty much sold the. Spring time reminds me of camping and stuff so I like the great outdoors. The hard part is deciding what to buy. I really like the hedge maze, Stoney creek, and secret lake. Stoney and secret have always caught my eye.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited March 2013

Greetings,

Ok well I'm pretty much sold the. Spring time reminds me of camping and stuff so I like the great outdoors. The hard part is deciding what to buy. I really like the hedge maze, Stoney creek, and secret lake. Stoney and secret have always caught my eye.

So...I'm in the same camp; I was amazed (NPI) at Howie Farkes latest Carrara set, and I had been meaning to pick up C8P for a while. I splurged and got it and Country Lane 2. It took me a bit of fiddling to figure out that they call cameras different things in Carrara, but I ended up creating a new camera, flying it around a bit, and taking this shot just to test the render. (The original is 1920x1200, I downsized it for the forum.)

@Wendy understates with the note that 'as a studio user you may need to get used to a few differences in interface'. It's pretty deeply different.

Still, after I figured out that 'directors camera' was like 'perspective view', I was able to navigate, mostly. Then after figuring out that 'conical' was a camera type, and that I could do the equivalent of 'create with current parameters' by moving it to 'directors camera', and eventually finding the place to change the render camera, everything worked out!

Rendering Howie's images with my own tweaks is probably how I'm going to drill into understanding some of this stuff. Well, that and I have a particular render I'm dying to do in that jaw-droppingly beautiful field at the edge of the stream. :)

Thanks very much!

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
    edited December 1969

That pic looks great to me. If I can render something like that then I would wholly satisfied. I've decided to splurge when I get home. I'm using 1680 x 1050 on laptop at work so it'd be nice to render some background scenery pics. I can't wait.

• ncampncamp Posts: 345
    edited December 1969

That pic looks great to me. If I can render something like that then I would wholly satisfied. I've decided to splurge when I get home. I'm using 1680 x 1050 on laptop at work so it'd be nice to render some background scenery pics. I can't wait.

I had some renders of country lane as my background. I lost track of how many people asked me where the photo was taken.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One of the first things I would do with a Howie scene is find center and use the spherical camera to render it out, to convert to an HDRI ;)

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    One of the first things I would do with a Howie scene is find center and use the spherical camera to render it out, to convert to an HDRI ;)

That's sounds like a foreign language to me. I have a lot to learn.

edited December 1969

Ok true to my word. I'm home and what I did can be summed up in one word:

Spppppllllluuuuuurrrrrgggggeeeeeeeee.

There was just simply too much pressure trying to decide which ones to buy so I bought all three, and bundles when I could. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I guess that would be a big question is what of my stuff I've bought could I use in Carrara if any. I've invested quite a bit at this point lol. And pricewise to buy Pro isn't bad but might have to wait a bit.

Geez, sorry I forgot to post the link to Carrara Cafe. I must be going senile!
    http://carraracafe.com/

edited December 1969

Geez, sorry I forgot to post the link to Carrara Cafe. I must be going senile!
    http://carraracafe.com/

Not a problem. Thank you very much! I like looking at renders. It shows me what the product is capable of and gives me ideas and inspiration.