Copyright question

DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
edited December 1969 in The Commons

...wanted to start a render thread inviting peeps to post a render on a certain theme and then post a link to a song that goes along with their pic, like a link to the song on youtube. Now, I figure if its allowed on youtube then its ok but just wanted to check here first to see if this is permissable.
Thanks
Scott

Comments

• KalypsoKalypso Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

I've seen many threads with links to YouTube videos and not just the OP's but also of animations, etc. But you're right, these days it's better to ask rather than get posts deleted. It sounds like a great idea and I hope you can go through with it - I'm in, for one :)

• DimeolasDimeolas Posts: 192
    edited December 1969

...thanks, will give it a go :)

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great Ida, since most of my renders are inspired by songs.. but you're right, on You tube there are some things, which are not really "safe"I know some bands who love the user made videos and post them even on their FB walls, and some do not like it.. You can make a rule that it might be only from the official band channel, or their Myspace Page. Or just ask fr a title and band :)

edited December 1969

...the funny thing to me is that it seems it would be great publicity for someone to post a great video using your song. Personally i have bought alot of music because i found somngs and bands i liked on youtube, and quite a few that i never knew existed before then, we shall try and see.

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

So let's see :) I might have my go on it :D

edited December 1969

...thread is posted so go have some fun :)

edited December 1969

How about a link? :)

edited December 1969

render thread
    sorry bout that, here we go
    :)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558
    edited December 1969

Nice idea for a render thread
    It's funny you post about copyright when many of the videos posted on Youtube are in copyright violation, just Google doesn't care and no one has requested they be pulled yet, LOL

I know I have a Gangnam Style inspired render somewhere...............

edited December 1969

I know I have a Gangnam Style inspired render somewhere...............

Nooooooo, say it isn't so!

edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    render thread
    sorry bout that, here we go
    :)

Thanks!

edited December 1969

...its funny to me that the big music companies are so strict...in general the public neither cares for nor understands copyright laws. I say this from the perspective of managing in retail and people arguing over photo copyright. I believe there is part of the law that allows the nonprofit use for educational purposes. But then realistically they have lawyers and the average youtube video creator doesnt ....

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    I say this from the perspective of managing in retail and people arguing over photo copyright.

That's funny, I just posted a thread about a very similar situation over here : http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18966/

Photo copyright laws may well be getting out of hand!

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    ...its funny to me that the big music companies are so strict...in general the public neither cares for nor understands copyright laws. I say this from the perspective of managing in retail and people arguing over photo copyright. I believe there is part of the law that allows the nonprofit use for educational purposes. But then realistically they have lawyers and the average youtube video creator doesnt ....

And posting something to youtube (or deviantart, or here, or anywhere else) doesn't qualify as an educational purpose anyway...

This article should help folks understand copyright a bit:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
    It was originally written in 1994 - nowadays, replace "Usenet" with "the Internet" whenever you see it and you should be fine.

edited December 1969

...honestly dunno, does it have to be posted on an educational website? Some people dont need a school to learn.....

edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    ...honestly dunno, does it have to be posted on an educational website? Some people dont need a school to learn.....

"Educational use" means you're using the work in question to teach. (At least, it does in Canada.)
    edited December 1969

...to teach or to learn then...so if I was learning to create a slideshow of my artwork say and sync it to a song that would be educational. I guess it all comes down to what the copyright holder objects to.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited December 1969

I think 'educational use' in this context means you're using a part of the work that other people can reference to understand a point you're making about it.

edited December 1969

...what about the folks on youtube who cut up movies and put them together?

edited December 1969

dimeolas said:
    ...what about the folks on youtube who cut up movies and put them together?

Those fall under "derivative works," and copyright laws in different countries vary greatly regarding them. Consult a local lawyer.