Question about Auto-Fit tool

MegarigMegarig Posts: 88
edited June 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Auto-Fit tool the button on the right side under parameters, under "Misc", that reads "Fit to"? To clarify, I've downloaded a few items of clothing ("Freebies") that I guess are made for V4. My issue looks a bit like this:

Am I doing something wrong? Is there another way to use Auto-Fit? My AF plugin is active, so I don't know what's going on. By the way, apologies if that last image breaks any rules. I tried to block it out, but it also blocked out the problem I was having with the dress.

Post edited by Megarig on

Comments

• MegarigMegarig Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

Another thing I've tried, is with the dress selected, I'll go to Edit > Object > Rigging > Convert Prop to figure. The CPTF box comes up and Root Bone Name is labeled "hip". Under rigging type, I will check "Parametric Joint Parameters", accept, and what I get is a dress with no texture that ALMOST fits, but not quite.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, Fit to is what triggers autofit. The problem here is this is a Poser dynamic dress, not a conforming item. You're on the right track, using "Convert Prop to Figure", but you want TriAx rigging, not Parametric.

edited December 1969

Yes, Fit to is what triggers autofit. The problem here is this is a Poser dynamic dress, not a conforming item. You're on the right track, using "Convert Prop to Figure", but you want TriAx rigging, not Parametric.

Thank you for that. It's good to know I was heading in the right direction, though (I was actually just guessing). I will try the TriAx rigging and see what I get.

As to the dress being a Poser dynamic item, when I'm looking at these things (free or not), how do I know whether it is conforming or not? A lot of times, I just see a description of the item with a download button. Is there a way I can tell after I download it?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

If the maker fails to specify the only possible clue is the format - a dress or other item that covers multiple body parts in a pp2 fiel will geenrally be Poser dynamic clothing. However, an item that doesn't need to bend, such as a hat, may be in a .pp2 and be usable in DAZ Studio so you can't simply dismiss everything that comes in that form. Anything that says it needs the Poser Cloth Room is also dynamic.

edited December 1969

What type of file should I look for if I want something that will bend and conform?

• PuntomausPuntomaus Posts: 450
    edited December 1969

You would look for a Cr2 file. The Cr2 is stored in the character folder under Poser - Runtime - libraries - character.

edited December 1969

Okay, thank you. :-) I'll be on the lookout for that type of file. Now as I said, I've been looking at "freebies", and I think that may be part of the problem, since I don't know what I'm getting. When I get some extra cash, I could get some of the stuff straight out of the Daz shop. I take it all those items will work with auto-fit? I'd like to focus on things made for Genesis, but I'd also like some things made for V4. I'm hoping the AF will work on those items I get from the shop.

edited December 1969

AutoFit works on all conforming clothes. All Poser clothing freebies that are figure Cr2 files and not a prop pp2 file will work with AutoFit :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Puntomaus said:
    AutoFit works on all conforming clothes. All Poser clothing freebies that are figure Cr2 files and not a prop pp2 file will work with AutoFit :)

Assuming, of course, that they are for a supported figure.

edited December 1969

Yep. :-)