Look at my Hair (LAMH) Official Thread: update 1.6.0.2 released

Comments

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Hi AM

No. There is a new Content Library folder in My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio called lookatmyhairAM. It contains geometry, maps, presets, logFile and a CFG file. Can I change the path of this folder?

I have several Content Library folders in My Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio and I don't want the LAMH folder in there because its mixing up stuff that I do with those folders.

Unfortunately Reality did the same thing and I'm forever deleting its Content Library folder.

Ok, unfortunately not in current release version, but we accounted for it in the next update: the user will be able to set a custom folder.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,486
    edited December 1969

Hair exported from LAMH as Obj (delete the group holders or it will stump the Luxus export) and then rendered via Luxus/Lux

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squee. :D

PlayingCatS2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 750K
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Because of the broken licensing in LAMH (which I've been told the 1.1 release is supposed to fix so that it doesn't think my laptop is different every time I switch network connectivity between wired/WiFi/WiMax -- INFINITO has the same bug -- and I've given up on sending a request for a new activation key every time I try to use it), I can't load LAMH to test if it is aware of my new 3D mouse. If LAMH doesn't support 3D mice, it seems to me this would make a lot of sense to add support for. 3D mice really do help speed up object manipulation in 3D space. 3DConnexion has an SDK available at http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/software-developer.html though on Windows you can also just use WM_INPUT. But since LAMH is cross-platform, the SDK would probably make more sense.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    It seems I can't go 5 minutes without coming here for help :-(

So I followed the manual to select follices and grow hair. Now I want to style it, but I can't find the styling tools in my palette. The manual doesn't show me where the tools are, and my screen doesn't look like the videos.

All the videos have a "Full Hair" tab at the bottom, but I only have a "3D Paint" tab.

I don't want to 3D Paint, I want to style my hair. I'm really finding the user interface bringing back memories of Blender, and the manual/videos are not much help.

Hi cridgit, you are probably watching videos that are related to older alpha versions. Please check the YT link in my signature, that will take you to latest set of tutorials available.
    Also, in case you didn't find or receive the manual, you may download it here: http://www.furrythings.com/LAMH.Manual.1.0.pdf

Let me know if you need further help...

edited December 1969

Cridgit t his might help:
    keyboard shortcuts! :D

Spacebar: hold spacebar to change the brush size and intensity! I use this TONS.

Hold SHIFT to CUT the hair! (you will see the hair brush swap to a scissors icon when you hold down the shift key) Note that the hair will have less gravity when you cut it and it will spring upwards. you will need to restyle, so cut early on is your best bet.

Hold CONTROL and click and drag mouse, (you will see the hair brush say LINEAR and show arrows) drag one way will GROW the selected hair, drag the other way will LENGTHEN. This is like the lengthen slider, except that is specific to the area your brush circle is hovering over. Great for careful styling of single or small groups of hair.

Alt and mouse click and drag is selection tool, just like in Follicles.

Here's a personal use tip! When you are up close and see a hair sticking out, and you want to shorten it, but then it gets lost in the rest of the hair and can't be selected by itself without messing the rest of the style up! So, don't unclick the mouse! put the mouse of the the strand sticking out, HOLD the mouse button down, HOLD the CTRL key and drag mouse to shorten hair (or grow it) but don't let up the mouse button! when the hair is desired lenth, let go of the CTRL key while you still hold down the mouse button, and drag the hair wherever you want it- it is still under your control.

Last shortcut I often use: ALT Z! This undoes the last mistake (or mistakes) that you made with styling.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • TenguTengu Posts: 416
    edited December 1969

Tengu23 said:
    Yup, I created the folders and it works now :)

Thanks for the incredibly speedy response!

Since this is a beta, not everything is polished yet :-) A few things made it through the cracks. The folders exist for those with the full plugin and no one noticed that they weren't created when the beta was uploaded. :-(

We believe in making sure our customers are supported :-)

I hope you have fun. Please report any issues to krsears (at) trdc.biz.

Kendall

Well, the free player worked on me, I bought LAMH :)

Just a quick tip for those exporting to .obj - increase hair complexity in LAMH before export, don't try to add too many levels of subdivision to the .obj afterward. Lux used all of my HDD as virtual memory trying to load it before stalling when I tried to apply subdivision to 120,000 hairs (over 4 million polygons)!

Thanks again Kendall, once I make some half-decent hairstyles I'll be sure to share the presets :)

edited December 1969

cridgit said:
    Ok I figured out the problem. I was switching between LAMH and the user manual using Alt+Tab. After I grew the hair, the LAMH cursor changed to a red circle with which I can style the hair. However, Alt+Tabbing changes the cursor to a cross for marquee select. Yesterday I didn't realize this had happened so I couldn't style the hair (I hadn't even seen the red circle).

AM - you might want to look at a way to not trap the Alt keypress when its part of a Windows system-wide action as it changes the application state without the user realizing.

Thanks for your advice on the keyboard shortcuts!!

The keyboard shortcuts are all in the manual so the user should be aware of them :) if you alt tab out of the app it won't affect anything, and merely holding alt in the LAMH window won't change anything either, without mouse action. Alt is used as a control function for other programs too. None of it is "without user realizing" as they are main functions of LAMH as described in the manual :) Which again, if anyone needs fast access, is here on this page, where it says "current version and manual: http://www.furrythings.com/presets/

^^

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Tengu23 said:
    Tengu23 said:
    Yup, I created the folders and it works now :)

Thanks for the incredibly speedy response!

Since this is a beta, not everything is polished yet :-) A few things made it through the cracks. The folders exist for those with the full plugin and no one noticed that they weren't created when the beta was uploaded. :-(

We believe in making sure our customers are supported :-)

I hope you have fun. Please report any issues to krsears (at) trdc.biz.

Kendall

Well, the free player worked on me, I bought LAMH :)

Just a quick tip for those exporting to .obj - increase hair complexity in LAMH before export, don't try to add too many levels of subdivision to the .obj afterward. Lux used all of my HDD as virtual memory trying to load it before stalling when I tried to apply subdivision to 120,000 hairs (over 4 million polygons)!

Thanks again Kendall, once I make some half-decent hairstyles I'll be sure to share the presets :)

That's great, I'll look forward to it! :-)

Kendall

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,275
    edited March 2013

I thought I'd post this. Picked up the meerkat yesterday because my nephew has a thing for a certain Meerkat advert here in the UK so I wanted to send some as a joke. Think I went a bit overboard with with the clump tool ;-)

Unite.png
    488 x 638 - 447K
    simples.png
    488 x 638 - 367K
    Post edited by 3Ddreamer on
    edited December 1969

Dang 3Dreamer! I have no meerkat but I want one now! So CUTE! Please tell me you've saved the preset and will share it?? :D

edited December 1969

LOL Glad you liked it Belovedalia, not a patch on yours. I did save the preset to torture my nephew with some more, and will gladly share it if AM wants it :-)

edited December 1969

3Ddreamer said:
    LOL Glad you liked it Belovedalia, not a patch on yours. I did save the preset to torture my nephew with some more, and will gladly share it if AM wants it :-)

That's just awesome and I will be honoured to have it in our fur preset library so that other users can enjoy it! :)
    You may eventually email the preset at info_at_alessandromastronardi.com (replace _at_ with @ )

edited December 1969

Thank you. It is on it way to you :-)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,551
    edited December 1969

I have a question about LAMH free player. I have downloaded and installed it, and have used and applied a preset for Millenium cat based on the free one on the site. How do I apply it so that the color of the fur applies to the preset? I can get the cat hairy, but it appears white, instead of the color of the fur that comes with the texture set for the cat.

edited December 1969

awesome!!!!! So very kind of you 3Ddreamer!! Now i gotta get the meerkat, because that's so freaking adorable. :D

edited December 1969

I have a question about LAMH free player. I have downloaded and installed it, and have used and applied a preset for Millenium cat based on the free one on the site. How do I apply it so that the color of the fur applies to the preset? I can get the cat hairy, but it appears white, instead of the color of the fur that comes with the texture set for the cat.

Couple questions, when you load the hair preset, is the cat already textured? is the hair renderman or obj? Did you do a spot render?

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I downloaded the player and installed to the plugins folder. Do the presets need to go to a specific folder too?

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    I downloaded the player and installed to the plugins folder. Do the presets need to go to a specific folder too?

By default i think they go in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM\presets

edited December 1969

Couple questions, when you load the hair preset, is the cat already textured? is the hair renderman or obj? Did you do a spot render?

Hi: thanks for responding. I'm using Daz 4.5. I've tried it with the cat having no texture and without. In one case, using a brown hair, the hair is brown. Most other times the hair is white. I'm not sure why it turned brown in hat one case, or what I did differently that time.. I can't figure out how to color the hair anything but white.

I downloaded the hair preset the preset library. It says it is DAZ Mil Cat - short fur.lmh I can't tell the answer as to whether it is an obj or not.
    When it renders it lt renders furry but more like a soft white down over the cat. It is an improvement over the flat fur, but it would look better with the color matching the cat markings. I know I'm doing something wrong, however, not sure what.

I hope I installed all the LAMH player files correctly.

Thanks.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I have the exact same problem.

edited December 1969

Hi: thanks for responding. I'm using Daz 4.5. I've tried it with the cat having no texture and without. In one case, using a brown hair, the hair is brown. Most other times the hair is white. I'm not sure why it turned brown in hat one case, or what I did differently that time.. I can't figure out how to color the hair anything but white.

I downloaded the hair preset the preset library. It says it is DAZ Mil Cat - short fur.lmh I can't tell the answer as to whether it is an obj or not.
    When it renders it lt renders furry but more like a soft white down over the cat. It is an improvement over the flat fur, but it would look better with the color matching the cat markings. I know I'm doing something wrong, however, not sure what.

I hope I installed all the LAMH player files correctly.

Thanks.

I'm slightly confused by your answer. You load the cat, apply a texture, and then apply the fur preset, correct?

click on the LAMH group in your scene tab, and open it, to select all the hair groups, then go to surface, in the diffuse there should be a texture. please check it and tell me the texture path.

edited March 2013

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying. We had to go get Alexa's Prom Dress...

For LAMH Player: Load the figure, apply whatever textures you want onto the figure. Then apply the preset. The preset will then take on the properties of the texture.

Different presets come with different default hair settings depending on the person who created it. Load the LAMH Player window (Windows->Panes->Look at my Hair) You'll see a place where you can increase, or decrease, the number of hairs that will be produced for the preset (Hair Quantity). You can set this for each ShaveGroup.

Also on the tab is a place to change the hair colors, this will override the texture.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:

By default i think they go in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM\presetsI don't have any of my content in my Documents folder. My copies of DS aren't even on my C: Drive.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    BWSman said:

By default i think they go in Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\lookatmyhairAM\presets

I don't have any of my content in my Documents folder. My copies of DS aren't even on my C: Drive.

The presets can live anywhere you want them. LAMH will look in /Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM first, followed by /Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio, then it'll just pop up a dialog.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Right I just said the default. My DS is installed in programs, but my content is on my D drive, my C drive is just too small to handle that much content! :)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139
    edited December 1969

Any word on the update and when it's going to hit?

edited December 1969

okay, figured it out now! Thanks Kendall and Beloveddalia. It appears to me, for whatever reason the texture of the cat fur that the cat is shaded with is not going to the roots and tip of the hair most of the time- although occasionally it does apply (the brown cat) I can't explain why this is happening, however, if I manually apply it the cat fur by selecting it, and applying it to the roots of the figure the coloration works. Can't explain why it doesn't apply, but it does work now that I can manually select it, so thanks. =-)

edited December 1969

Glad you got it figured out, though I don't know why that's happening. When you export are you exporting renderman or object?

I have a hair I started a while back and the China styled dress just released for A5 made me go back and finish it. Fantasy asia hair... Even made props for it. :D