Luxus discussion

Comments

• NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

SpericLabs,

No I can see objects but .....well I can show you. here are some renders that I just did you can tell by the name what they are, 3Delight, reality and then the Luxus render. nothing was changed in any way between renders...and the render setting were basically default.

Test1Luxus.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 502K
    Test1Reality.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 234K
    Test13Delight.jpg
    786 x 1024 - 716K
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Very cool people.

The Gamma things has me a little confused, but I will get to the bottom of it.

Not that I can control this nor would I want to. I know this may come across as a strange request, but I am a big fan of credit where credit is due. Luxus really does not deserve the credit for your renders. LuxRender does. Maybe watermark them with LuxRender instead?

With greatest respect, I feel luxus DOES deserve credit. Because of its easier use, translation of textures, I was making a render successfully by 1st attempt. WOW.

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

nreed said:
    SpericLabs,

No I can see objects but .....well I can show you. here are some renders that I just did you can tell by the name what they are, 3Delight, reality and then the Luxus render. nothing was changed in any way between renders...and the render setting were basically default.

interesting. Try using the GUI and adjusting the light groups individually. see which light is doing that blue.

edited December 1969

It is the Sky2 that is creating the blue, if I change the black body temp the hue changes but across the entire pic. If Sky2 is turned off the pic goes to black and white.....maybe a re-install of the plugin and or lux? btw Lux is the newest release downloaded and installed last night.

edited December 1969

nreed said:
    It is the Sky2 that is creating the blue, if I change the black body temp the hue changes but across the entire pic. If Sky2 is turned off the pic goes to black and white.....maybe a re-install of the plugin and or lux? btw Lux is the newest release downloaded and installed last night.

try using a Sun Sky2

edited December 1969

Both Sun's and Sk2's color is determined by the angle of the vector, like the real sun.

• edited December 1969

Hi everyone now I have worked out the lights (thank you all very much for that, can anyone help me with saving the render so you can restart it again.

I have read the docs telling me how to but I am simply just not getting it.

I have saved the FLM file but when I click on it to restart render all it gives me is a blank screen and nothing there, I know I am doing something wrong.

It is looking for a lxs file not a flm file.

I feel like a complete idiot here.

Thanks

edited March 2013

Sprinkles said:
    Hi everyone now I have worked out the lights (thank you all very much for that, can anyone help me with saving the render so you can restart it again.

I have read the docs telling me how to but I am simply just not getting it.

I have saved the FLM file but when I click on it to restart render all it gives me is a blank screen and nothing there, I know I am doing something wrong.

It is looking for a lxs file not a flm file.

I feel like a complete idiot here.

Thanks

If you want to do that, you best to control which folder the .xls gets saved to. Choose Render To: Image File. Choose a folder and a name. Use the GUI and your .xls will be in that folder. a .flm will get saved right next to it every 60 seconds of rendering.

To Resume, launch LuxRender, Chose File Resume.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

To Resume, launch LuxRender, Chose File Resume.

If you don't choose Resume, it will start over from the beginning...you do have 60 seconds to stop Luxrender (don't use Save and Exit...that immediately will write a new flm file) before it overwrites the current flm. Lux should remember the last state, and since the default for Luxus, that's 60 seconds. I've done that twice tonight...luckily I caught it in time, both times.

edited December 1969

SpericLabs,

OK I re-installed the plugin and that made a big difference. Mow my maps need some work, those are custom textures with normal and displacement maps so I need to figure out witch ones need tweeking for Luxus...read earlier that bumps need to be dropped way down so I will try lowering my displacement maps, I have not found anything about normal maps and luxus in the forums yet so any tips would be great. Oh I was playing with the some of the lens stuff so that is why it may look a bit fuzzy......but here is the same scene with the default setting in Luxus.

Test2Luxus.jpg
    731 x 878 - 168K
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty pleased how this came out, though I had to figure out how to get the Modern Bed wood texture to render. Initially it rendered with no texture. I started with one of the Aiko loves Freak poses and changed both head shapes; contrast adjusted in Photoshop. It was rendered overnight.

Sleeping.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 355K
  • edited December 1969

Thank you, I can't leave my comp rendering all day as I am sharing it, so this helps immensely

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

I think i made it to the point where i can start worrying about the smaller stuff, and start learning more of the parameters.
    A big thank you to the community that got me up and running (first with Daz Studio and now again with Luxus/LuxRender).

Gonna let this one cook for a few more hours...
    "Inspiration Obvious."

Archimedes.jpg
    618 x 800 - 137K
  • MKeyesMKeyes Posts: 466
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Out of box it is quite easy if you follow the manual ...

Okay everyone, forgive me please.... but ah... WHERE? ... is the manual? I've gone back to my downloads and I don't see any documents or .pdf's to download. Have I missed it? Where? Please?

edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    Kattey said:
    Out of box it is quite easy if you follow the manual ...

Okay everyone, forgive me please.... but ah... WHERE? ... is the manual? I've gone back to my downloads and I don't see any documents or .pdf's to download. Have I missed it? Where? Please?

The readme has a link to it.
    -> http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/15891/start

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited March 2013

As a Reality user, my first impressions of Luxus are very positive. I picked it up earlier and am now currently playing around with it. So far the major upsides are that it has pretty much every single option a hands-on person like myself could potentially want and not least of all is that it has support for the materials I so desperately hoped Reality would include in an update. Namely, cloth and skin.

I like the integration with Daz Studio especially. With Reality you open it up in its own separate window, which means you lose access to the surface selection tool. If you want to select a surface using it, you need to close Reality first, select the surface and then re-open the window. A bit long winded for a simple function. I like that I can copy and paste material settings easier too. With Reality it has a few bugs regarding this, and it won't copy the material type, so if you're trying to copy-paste a metal to a currently glossy surface, it won't do anything. No such issues with Luxus though, which has made things a whole lot easier.

That's not to say it's a seamless transition, mind you. Adding custom tweaks to the Lux materials can often create redundant settings in the resulting LXS file. These only throw up warnings by the compiler, but it does result in extra fluff which isn't needed. I'm still getting used to how Luxus translates materials for Luxrender, as it does so in a different way to Reality, but I am pleased at least that UberSurface seems to convert reasonably well, though I've yet to get SSS to translate across.

I also like that it compiles the actual models into the LXS files rather than creating extra directories as Reality does. It makes clean ups a lot quicker and easier, though part of me still prefers the separate LXM files of Reality for hands-on tweaks. Still, the compiled LXS is neatly formatted so finding stuff in the file isn't much of a chore.

I'll post some renders as soon as I have something worth looking at. Naked Victoria probably isn't the best choice for public sharing, and I've been using her to test skin volumes. If anyone knows any good settings to use for skin, by the way, or an easy way to translate UberSurface SSS settings to Luxus I'm all ears.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

As a Reality user, my first impressions of Luxus are very positive. I picked it up earlier and am now currently playing around with it. So far the major upsides are that it has pretty much every single option a hands-on person like myself could potentially want and not least of all is that it has support for the materials I so desperately hoped Reality would include in an update. Namely, cloth and skin.

I like the integration with Daz Studio especially. With Reality you open it up in its own separate window, which means you lose access to the surface selection tool. If you want to select a surface using it, you need to close Reality first, select the surface and then re-open the window. A bit long winded for a simple function. I like that I can copy and paste material settings easier too. With Reality it has a few bugs regarding this, and it won't copy the material type, so if you're trying to copy-paste a metal to a currently glossy surface, it won't do anything. No such issues with Luxus though, which has made things a whole lot easier.

That's not to say it's a seamless transition, mind you. Adding custom tweaks to the Lux materials can often create redundant settings in the resulting LXS file. These only throw up warnings by the compiler, but it does result in extra fluff which isn't needed. I'm still getting used to how Luxus translates materials for Luxrender, as it does so in a different way to Reality, but I am pleased at least that UberSurface seems to convert reasonably well, though I've yet to get SSS to translate across.

I also like that it compiles the actual models into the LXS files rather than creating extra directories as Reality does. It makes clean ups a lot quicker and easier, though part of me still prefers the separate LXM files of Reality for hands-on tweaks. Still, the compiled LXS is neatly formatted so finding stuff in the file isn't much of a chore.

I'll post some renders as soon as I have something worth looking at. Naked Victoria probably isn't the best choice for public sharing, and I've been using her to test skin volumes. If anyone knows any good settings to use for skin, by the way, or an easy way to translate UberSurface SSS settings to Luxus I'm all ears.

The subsurface scatter happens when any of the UberSurface family of shaders have Specular2 Active. The scattering is subtle and could be improved. You can see it in the file as a homogenous volume with scattering, do a search for Interior or homogenous.

The real power of Luxus will come into play when we start seeing material and shader presets made.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Out of curiosity, why Specular2 instead of the actual subsurface scatter options in UberSurface?

edited December 1969

Out of curiosity, why Specular2 instead of the actual subsurface scatter options in UberSurface?

After reading this
    -> http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/sss-skin-shader-tutorial.pdf

I concluded:
    -> the only way to get hyper realistic looking skin will be to create art specifically for it.
    -> the scattering part was less important that the volume color. So we go to glossy_translucent when we see the Specular2 Active, even if scattering is off.
    -> The scattering is controlled by subsurface refraction, color, and strength.

So in other words, there are more things to good looking skin than just scattering, admittedly I am still learning.

edited December 1969

OK I found that Luxus is not liking my normal maps at all, though DAZ Studio's 3Delight and the Reality2 render them with no issues. So anyone else having any problems with normal maps? btw if I remove the normal map my objects loose all detail....and they shouldn't...so I am not sure what else is going on.....I posted several shot a page or so back one has teh three different renders but the lux was bad (solved that issue) then a single shot with the luxus and how it treats my normal maps....

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited December 1969

nreed said:
    OK I found that Luxus is not liking my normal maps at all, though DAZ Studio's 3Delight and the Reality2 render them with no issues. So anyone else having any problems with normal maps? btw if I remove the normal map my objects loose all detail....and they shouldn't...so I am not sure what else is going on.....I posted several shot a page or so back one has teh three different renders but the lux was bad (solved that issue) then a single shot with the luxus and how it treats my normal maps....

It may be better to show your settings for that surface that your having issues on.

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Has anyone heard anything further on the Bluebird 3D tutorial series?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

I was thinking about tutorails and I had a quick look on the net and there are a lot of vids etc on using Lux Render as that is all we need thinking about the plug-in logically. Granted it is hard to find a starting point (I am) with a series of tutorails progressing to more advanced functions. The main thing for me is to understand the render engine itself and what all the settings mean after all they are just the internals of Lux render displayed by the plug-in if I am not mistaken. So the info already out there should help with that too. Material conversion is propbably going to take a bit to understand too but again the net should provide good helpfull info on that side also.

As soon as my second attenmpt at the same test image is done I will spend some time doing some specitic searches and see what I find. That will be tomorrows job by the looks of the render.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

with the luxus and how it treats my normal maps….

I am going to guess that it is dependent on the normal maps and not luxus as such. I just ran a test with some of my 'design toolbox" shaders that had the normal maps (the reality ones) and didn't get any oddness.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

nreed said:

Did you generate the tangents (button below the field where you specify the normal map, see below)? Without it the maps will look sort of mirrored along the v axis.
    luxus-normal-e.png
    606 x 406 - 120K
    edited March 2013

Millighost that seems to do the trick and solves the question of why some would look ok and others would not. Now I can start fine tuning them.

d134B.png
    786 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by Neilr on
    edited December 1969

Luxball 6 scene for Poser and DAZ Studio.

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5527&p=94030#p94030

I have converted the famous Luxball scene for use in Poser and DS. This is designed as a handy little test scene where you can do all the testing you want and be able to compare to other lux users. (incase you dont know)

Luxball6.png
    600 x 600 - 432K
  • HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

OH!! :bug:
    I always wanted that ball! Thank you. It will be very useful!

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    OH!! :bug:
    I always wanted that ball! Thank you. It will be very useful!

You're welcome Hellboy. That is the cleanest Luxball yet. Its all quads and so is the inner ball. only the stand and text has triangles. It exports very quickly compared to older versions of the scene now that the floor grid is texture map instead of being modeled.

• edited December 1969

Thank you, Mattymanx. Very handy!

This discussion has been closed.