Mirror and Symmetry for making morphs

wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

This is for an original object, not something imported...

You make an object, you mirror it to make the reverse object (great for hair)...

now you need to mirror the morphs. this works, just tested it. The problem is placement. When I exported the objects to OBJ, the placement of the mirrored object moves in DS... hmmm... not good.

Anyone know how to make sure your morph target, when you mirror it, does not move the object?

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Need a lot more info on your workflow:)

As I understand your explanation, you made an object in Hex, did a symmetry mirror copy, saved as .obj and imported to D/S?

Did you then send it to Hex via the bridge to make morphs and on sending back to D/S something moved from the original position?

When you made the original, did you center it at all XYZ = 0?

When you made the morph/s, did you move the position of anything?

Some screencaps would help:)

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited March 2013

okay. Create a plane. Mirror it. Export the mirrored object

edit the plane's shape. Mirror that. The mirrored object will change shape.

Export the mirrored object again.

import the first OBJ into DS, then apply the second as a morph target.

You will see what I mean...

I'm not sure what centering will accomplish, because if you change the shape of an object in HEX, the center of that object changes.

Post edited by wancow on
    edited December 1969

OK - I did that - the morph imported perfectly into Studio, no changing of position.

The questions I asked were to try and get a handle on what may be the problem.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

:red: another double post.

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

I’m not sure what centering will accomplish, because if you change the shape of an object in HEX, the center of that object changes.

Oh no, it doesn't/shouldn't. :) What Roy was saying is that the edge that denotes the interface of the half that is to be mirrored, must lay along either the X Y or Z axis ( = 0) depending which way you are mirroring it.

Changing the shape/size of the object should not change the position of the interface between the two half's. If it does, YOU must ensure all the verts line up to either the x y or z before you mirror/weld/transfer/export it. ;-)

Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

Yes, I never suggested that centering - which refers to the position of the mesh where X, Y, Z =0 and does not change when you change the shape of the mesh - would fix the problem. I merely asked whether you had, in fact, done this:)

The only way I could get the position of the mesh to change when applying the morph was to change the X, Y, Z position of the target mesh in Hex.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

What is it you want to do using Hexagon?