Lizard folk please

MidyinMidyin Posts: 221
edited March 2013 in The Commons

So I downloaded the Lizardian and Lizardians Xtreme packs, but despite ho much i like the new head shapes the textures are just awful. Whoever made them obviously didn't spend much time thinking about how they should look(Big plates go on the back and on other places that don't do much flexing, and little tint scales should cover places like the palms of hands, inner elbows, armpits, inner knees, soles of feet, ect), so does anyone here know where I can snag better Lizardman/Lizardwoman skins(for M4/V4)?

Honestly, I feel that the Skyrim Argonians are pretty spot on, so if someone happen to have skinned something that looks like them that would be Ideal...

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,750
    edited December 1969

Midyin said:
    So I downloaded the Lizardian and Lizardians Xtreme packs, but despite ho much i like the new head shapes the textures are just awful. Whoever made them obviously didn't spend much time thinking about how they should look(Big plates go on the back and on other places that don't do much flexing, and little tint scales should cover places like the palms of hands, inner elbows, armpits, inner knees, soles of feet, ect), so does anyone here know where I can snag better Lizardman/Lizardwoman skins(for M4/V4)?

Honestly, I feel that the Skyrim Argonians are pretty spot on, so if someone happen to have skinned something that looks like them that would be Ideal...

You are entitled to your opinion...but just because a set does not look the way that you imagine a fantasy creature, does not mean you have to be rude.
    The scaling patterns on reptiles differ greatly from species to species.
    Product makers make their characters to suit their own ideas of how a character should look. The fact that there are different ideas leaves the market open for other people to make things the way they feel would be right.
    Being rude and insulting a product because it doesnt look the way you want is probably not going to encourage anyone to even consider your ideas.

ocellated-lizard.jpg
    600 x 414 - 126K
  • Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Midyin said:

I've taken the liberty of rewriting your post for you that would have probably gotten you a better response.

Hi,

Are there any lizards characters similar to Skyrim Argonians for ? I downloaded RawArt's Lizardians and unfortunately the product didn't meet my current needs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short and sweet.

I think this would have gotten you a better response or participation. You really do draw more flies with honey than with vinegar.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited March 2013

Green reptile for V4
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=46161

Dragonfolk for the MilDragon 2.0
    http://extend3d.webs.com/freecharacters.htm

And by the way: I have and like Lizardians ... remember that just because their look is not what you want, you can't say he didn't spend much time ...
    Try doing it yourself and find out how "easy" it is.
    http://www.daz3d.com/victoria-4-2-creature-creator-morphs
    http://all-free-download.com/free-photos/snake-skin-texture.html
    http://designbeep.com/2013/02/13/a-collection-of-free-snake-skin-textures-for-designers/

Post edited by Kerya on
  • beregarberegar Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Honestly I'm not always the biggest fan of RawArt's textures but saying he didn't put any real thought in creating his stuff is outright insulting. His shapes are excellent too! Personally I use some of the the Lizardian Xtreme textures for some renders because I like the look.

(For the record: I find Raw's textures usually to be a bit too "mushy" for my tastes. I prefer "sharper" textures. I don't think them as bad. They just don't match my visual needs. In fact many skin textures from other artists don't either. Morris is still my favorite texture artist. I wish she did fantasy textures.)

Kerya said:
    And by the way: I have and like Lizardians ... remember that just because their look is not what you want, you can't say he didn't spend much time ...
    http://designbeep.com/2013/02/13/a-collection-of-free-snake-skin-textures-for-designers/

I know for sure that creating a lizardfolk is certainly beyond my meager skills (I still want classic DnD Lizardfolk for Genesis) but thanks for those texture links! I have use for them elsewhere. :)

edited December 1969

beregar said:
    Honestly I'm not always the biggest fan of RawArt's textures but saying he didn't put any real thought in creating his stuff is outright insulting. His shapes are excellent too! Personally I use some of the the Lizardian Xtreme textures for some renders because I like the look.

(For the record: I find Raw's textures usually to be a bit too "mushy" for my tastes. I prefer "sharper" textures. I don't think them as bad. They just don't match my visual needs. In fact many skin textures from other artists don't either. Morris is still my favorite texture artist. I wish she did fantasy textures.)

Kerya said:

I know for sure that creating a lizardfolk is certainly beyond my meager skills (I still want classic DnD Lizardfolk for Genesis) but thanks for those texture links! I have use for them elsewhere. :)

I may have to start a webinar. Let me rewrite yours as well. This qualifies as a backhanded insult, you know, where you chastising a person for insulting while continuing to insult... then putting down an artist's work for another. Really, really bad form here.

Some of Rawart's textures may not suit my needs, but the OP does not need to insult while asking for a product.

Real short and sweet and you're not backhanding. ;)

• MidyinMidyin Posts: 221
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Midyin said:

You are entitled to your opinion...but just because a set does not look the way that you imagine a fantasy creature, does not mean you have to be rude.
    Product makers make their characters to suit their own ideas of how a character should look. The fact that there are different ideas leaves the market open for other people to make things the way they feel would be right.
    Being rude and insulting a product because it doesnt look the way you want is probably not going to encourage anyone to even consider your ideas.

Actually that image you chose to post just validates my point. There are lots and lots of tiny scales all over the parts of the lizard that bends and flexes a lot, and the large solid plates are in places that don't move much because Lizards need to be able to move fast to ambush pray, and escape predictors.
    I didn't mean it as a personal insult, so Don't take it personal, just learn from it, and use it to make your work better...

Despite all that I am sorry for being so harsh when talking about your Textures(I honestly thought it was just a Stock Skin, so i didn't even think anyone's feeling would be hurt), but I did paid for em, so I think I should be aloud to express my opinion a little bit.. lol

To everyone else that posted links and suggestions. Thanks, I'll look this stuff over...

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Midyin said:
    RawArt said:
    Midyin said:

Actually that image you chose to post just validates my point. There are lots and lots of tiny scales all over the parts of the lizard that bends and flexes a lot, and the large solid plates are in places that don't move much because Lizards need to be able to move fast to ambush pray, and escape predictors.
    I didn't mean it as a personal insult, so Don't take it personal, just learn from it, and use it to make your work better...

Despite all that I am sorry for being so harsh when talking about your Textures(I honestly thought it was just a Stock Skin, so i didn't even think anyone's feeling would be hurt), but I did paid for em, so I think I should be aloud to express my opinion a little bit.. lol

To everyone else that posted links and suggestions. Thanks, I'll look this stuff over...

And if you really don't like them, you can return them for a refund. I think you still have 30 days to do so from the date of purchase but with recent changes to the EULA, it may be less.

Even though a product is listed as a DAZ Original, it was not created by DAZ. Nearly every product in the store is created by the PA's. DAZ Originals are what we call "buy outs". DAZ purchases the products outright from the vendor. Often times on product pages, you will see DAZ3D and another name listed. DAZ3D means it classed as a DAZ Original. The other name or names are the artists who actually create the item.

The PA's put a great deal of time an effort into their work. No one says you cannot express your opinion. However, your assumption that it was "just a Stock Skin" was erroneous. Perhaps it might have been better to find out a bit more about the product before expressing your opinion.

• beregarberegar Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

I may have to start a webinar. Let me rewrite yours as well. This qualifies as a backhanded insult, you know, where you chastising a person for insulting while continuing to insult... then putting down an artist's work for another. Really, really bad form here.

What you see as an insult I see as honesty. I do not like all Raw's textures. That doesn't make them bad. It just makes them something I don't use. I do not belittle his skills. I even stated the reasons why I don't like them AND it does not apply to all of them since I use some of his textures (like the lizardians extreme).

My point is: you can state you don't like something without insulting the creator at the same time. Stating that you do not like something is different than saying something sucks or that the person didn't put any effort into creating it.

Also while we are talking about bad code of conduct. I don't necessarily like the snippy attitude you employ a lot. It is a bit offensive and gives the impression you think you are better than others. You go extra length pointing out how "bad" someone is and "fixing" it for them when simply pointing out the error is enough.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I'm a fan of rawart's textures. I love the way his skin looks. =-) Just picked up Brennan on sale, and he is great. Love the cigarette. Nice touch.

Can a lizard-like critter be made with the genesis morphs?

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I'm a fan of rawart's textures. I love the way his skin looks. =-) Just picked up Brennan on sale, and he is great. Love the cigarette. Nice touch.

Drakon (also by Raw Art) is fairly Lizard like. And with the critter morphs, I'm pretty sure that using the tried and true "little bit of this, little bit of that" method can produce some really nice lizard folk. :)

edited March 2013

beregar said:

What you see as an insult I see as honesty. I do not like all Raw's textures. That doesn't make them bad. It just makes them something I don't use. I do not belittle his skills. I even stated the reasons why I don't like them AND it does not apply to all of them since I use some of his textures (like the lizardians extreme).

My point is: you can state you don't like something without insulting the creator at the same time. Stating that you do not like something is different than saying something sucks or that the person didn't put any effort into creating it.

But in this case, you didn't. Expanding on an already bad topic helped not one bit.

Also while we are talking about bad code of conduct. I don't necessarily like the snippy attitude you employ a lot. It is a bit offensive and gives the impression you think you are better than others. You go extra length pointing out how "bad" someone is and "fixing" it for them when simply pointing out the error is enough.

Let's not deflect and confuse concise with snippy. It's not about liking, sometimes we don't like what we need to learn. So please, take it for what it is; so let's not be offended about being called on making insulting posts. Protesting are only for the innocent.

Post edited by Male-M3dia on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

RawArt has Drakon (and Stegolian), and Valandar has a Reptillian for Genesis character. You could probably make (dial) a Genesis lizard from various creature morphs and others, too. There might be other Genesis reptiles I'm forgetting...

As a general point I'll say that many of the artists who create the products that are sold here use the forum. I didn't realize that when I first started. A great deal of effort goes into all the products in the store; from what I understand, DAZ 3D is very choosy about which products they will agree to sell here. It's probably safe to say that for many of the artists, it's a labor of love rather than just a source of income.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,834
    edited December 1969

This thread has been locked as it appears to be getting bogged down in a discussion of posting style - if you believe a post breaks the forum rules, please report it, if you feel it was badly phrased but not breaking the rules either politely contact the poster via PM or ignore it.

This discussion has been closed.