Need Posemaster Transfer advice please [SOLVED]

barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149
edited March 2013 in The Commons

I am running Posemaster 1.5 in DS 4.5.1.56 on Windows 7. I have done a lot of pose copy and paste, but not much pose transfer until today. I am trying to transfer poses from V4.2 to Genesis Basic Female. The tool is working, but I don't seem to be getting results that are as good as the results shown in the user guide. I realize it won't be perfect, but in particular, the head, hands and feet seem to be quite far off. So either I am doing something wrong, or this is as good as it can do, and I have to fix the rest manually. Any suggestions?

Post edited by barbult on

Comments

• edited December 1969

Since no one has responded, I'll offer my two pennies worth. Lately, I've been transferring my collection of freebie poses to Genesis.

The problem is caused by Genesis Basic Female having a skeleton that's not an exact match to V4's. As you can see in the your top picture, GBF's arms are a little too short, and the hips and shoulders are a little too broad. These small differences can have a big effect on driving and couples poses where everyone's arms and legs really do have to be in the right places.

You can't get it perfect without tweaking, but three things will help:
    1) Click the "Scaling" box. This will adjust the pose so that the target's scaling better matches the source. This will also have the effect of GBF looking a bit more like V4.
    2) Start by selecting both figures and clicking Edit > Figure > Zero > Zero Figure Pose. When you do, you'll notice that V4's feet point down by 20°. That's her real "zero pose." I've noticed that this sometimes solves the problem of weird foot angles.
    3) When posing Genesis, try posing with the body dialed to the V4 or M4 shape. If the character's body is partially hidden in a car or a cockpit, you can often get away with this. For couples poses, you're out of luck.

I hope this helps.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,149
    edited March 2013

Thanks for trying to help. I tried all three suggestions in this pose, but it looks pretty much like it did before. Genesis is gray in this picture. This Genesis is not Basic Female; it is the gender neutral Genesis with the Victoria 4 shape dial set all the way on to 1.00.

Edited to add the picture.

Posemaster_transfer.JPG
    1175 x 1288 - 94K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • ruekakaruekaka Posts: 346
    edited December 1969

Didn't try it until now, but maybe this could be helpful:

http://www.daz3d.com/posemaster-people-pack

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

Cridgit, thanks for your reply and explanations. The driving pose is JeepDriverV4.pz2 from product WWII Jeep http://www.daz3d.com/wwii-jeep . I looked at the pose (see attached picture) and the V4 character is not translated or rotated, but the hip is both translated and rotated on all axes. Also, when I load the pose the first time it asks me whether I want to ignore limits. I seem to get similar results whether I ignore limits or not, as far as the Genesis match goes.

The dancing pose is rhground 03V4_M.pz2 from product Remembering How to Fly Poses http://www.daz3d.com/remembering-how-to-fly-poses . It also has no transforms on V4 itself, but has yTranslate and xRotate on the hip. (see attached picture)

When I try to tweak the transferred Genesis poses, do you have any suggestions on how to begin? Should I start by moving Genesis or moving the Genesis hip? Should I start by trying to align any particular part first? Are arms and legs best matched by adjusting collars, shoulders, or forearms, etc.? Or is it all different depending on the pose?

By the way, I have found Posemaster copy and paste wonderful for remembering and restoring poses. the other day I had put a jeep in my picture and moved it, rotated it, etc. Later I wanted to add a driver. Trying to pose a driver and then move it into position in the jeep was too hard. Instead, I copied my jeep pose with Posemaster and reset all the jeep transforms to 0. With the jeep at the origin, posing the M4 driver in the jeep was just a matter of clicking on the pose. Then I parented the driver to the jeep and used Posemaster to paste the saved jeep position. That worked great.

I have also had good success copying and pasting partial poses by the pose-copy-undo-select body part-paste technique.

rhground_03V4_M_hip.jpg
    1260 x 1029 - 350K
    JeepDriverV4_hip.jpg
    1198 x 799 - 284K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

You know, without V4 in the scene, at least the dance pose, you really wouldn't be able to tell that it's not 'on'...there's no major distortions, the body parts are pretty much where they are supposed to be (relatively speaking),

The driving pose...well that's supposed to be for a specific vehicle, so that will need manual adjusting...

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    You know, without V4 in the scene, at least the dance pose, you really wouldn't be able to tell that it's not 'on'...there's no major distortions, the body parts are pretty much where they are supposed to be (relatively speaking),

The driving pose...well that's supposed to be for a specific vehicle, so that will need manual adjusting...

I agree. I'm certainly not trying to bash this product at all. I like it a lot. I was just trying to be sure I wasn't using it wrong, and I'm trying to learn how to get the most out of it.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    mjc1016 said:

I agree. I'm certainly not trying to bash this product at all. I like it a lot. I was just trying to be sure I wasn't using it wrong, and I'm trying to learn how to get the most out of it.

Like all translation programs...it's going to get you most of the way there, most of the time. Sometimes, even all the way...but this looks like one of the times it's only going to go part of the way.

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited May 2022

Redacted

edited December 1969

Thank you, cridgit, for the advice. I got my Genesis Jeep Driver tweaked to my satisfaction. I can see that I'll need to practice some to get a feeling about how the various bend, twist, and side to side adjustments affect the position of the bones. Here are the results.

Jeep_Drivers.JPG
    1077 x 882 - 104K
    Genesis_BF_Jeep_Driver.JPG
    1143 x 1033 - 115K
    V4_Jeep_Driver.JPG
    1074 x 952 - 106K
    edited May 2022

Redacted