The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest

Comments

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Parris said:
    First Entry.

Image Title: Fantasy Forge
    Software Used: Daz Studio and Photoshop.
    Stonemason Products Used: Lava Planet and Floater Bot

At Fantasy Industries, we're blurring the lines between reality and whatever you can imagine. This image was inspired by Stonemason's Lava Planet and Movies like Total Recall (1990 and 2012), Westworld (1973) and Futureworld (1976). Anyway, the idea that something might not really be what it appears to be is a fun thing to play with in imagery.

Hey, what great fun this contest is. I've really enjoyed seeing so many great entries and have gotten a real kick out of how each artist uses these amazing Sets and Props in a unique way. I'll bet Stonemason likes what he sees too. Good work and good luck to all!

Whoah! Nice render. I love the light beams with fog. That is an effect I have really been struggling with figuring out how to do properly.

edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    SECOND OFFICIAL ENTRY :)

THE WARRIOR ELF AT THE FANGORN FOREST

Items used:
    Enchanted Forest 2
    Jungle Ruins

Once again i want to pre-thanks everybody for any mentions to my work...
    sorry for not replying to each one of you...im just trying to keep the post as clean as i can...

im wishing all the best to all the participants...

hope you like it

p.s. i strongly suggest you to enlarge it to see the details...

Another amazing job Isikol. I love your style!

• ChasCChasC Posts: 3
    edited March 2013

My second entry.
    Title: First Xeno War
    Software: Poser Pro 2012, PS CS4
    Stonemason product: Sector 15

AlienAttack.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 254K
    Post edited by ChasC on
  • sabotssnakesabotssnake Posts: 14
    edited March 2013

Wasn't going to enter as I didn't like any of the ideas I had including this one. Still it was the only one I actually finished (even though the idea behind it has since evolved and improved somewhat.)

Uses Ministry and those freebie containers. Carrara 8.

"Mad Scientist."

mad_scientist.jpg
    1600 x 910 - 1M
    Post edited by sabotssnake on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Love a spin on the 3 wise monkeys SabotSsnake

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,878
    edited March 2013

nm...

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • VueiyVueiy Posts: 516
    edited March 2013

2nd Entry:
    Title: "That's It?"
    Software Used: Daz|Studio 3
    Stonemason Product Used: Sky Deck

I wanted to use my recently acquired Luxus, but alas, I didn't have time. So many wonderful renders so far, guys! Here's some more about the title:

"That's it? THAT'S the best you can do? You woke me from my nap and that's all you could manage? Ugh, guess I'd better finish you off quickly..."

Dahlia_the_Dangerous_on_Deck_02_01_(c).jpg
    1000 x 1414 - 323K
    Post edited by Vueiy on
  • John MalisJohn Malis Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Second Entry

Title: Missing in Action

Software used: Poser Pro 2012, Corel Photo-Paint X3

Stonemason product used: Streets of the Mediterranean

Sicily, 1942

MissingINAction.jpg
    1220 x 914 - 354K
  • Alpha ChannelAlpha Channel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Second entry -

Title - Exploring the Dust

Stonemason items used - Urban Sprawl 2
    City Ruins Building 03
    City Ruins : Vehicles (though it's a bit of a stretch to see it)

Software used - Poser 8, Vue Infinite 11, Photoshop CS5/Perfect Effects 3 plug-in

Dust---Exploring-the-ruins.jpg
    1500 x 563 - 467K
  • FroschGottFroschGott Posts: 0
    edited March 2013

NON ENTRY

Title: Dreamin' Jade v2
    Software: DS4.5
    Render: LUXrender via Reality 2.5
    Postwork: Gimp 2.8 (signature only)
    Stonemason product: The Streets Of Asia 2

Unfortunately I already posted it.
    Otherwise this would have been my main entry.

Dreamin_Jade_v2_1500.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 900K
    Post edited by FroschGott on
    edited March 2013

My 2nd entry. :)

Title: China On My Mind
    Postwork: Gimp 2.8 (signature and a little colourcorrection on the rearward ship)
    Stonemason product: The Streets Of Asia

Well, I thought about a pendent to my 'Dreamin' Jade'. :)
    This is right out of the box with only one (or two, depends on the definition) lightsource (reality sun).
    Although the lanterns contain some meshlights, they are only for mood and don't effect the scene light.

SoA_Dreaming_1500.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 884K
  • BnomSandyBnomSandy Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

NON ENTRY

Title: Dreamin' Jade v2
    Postwork: Gimp 2.8 (signature only)
    Stonemason product: The Streets Of Asia 2

Unfortunately I already posted it.

------

My 2nd entry. smile

Title: China On My Mind
    Postwork: Gimp 2.8 (signature and a little colourcorrection on the rearward ship)
    Stonemason product: The Streets Of Asia

Phenomenal. These are both stunning works.

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited December 1969

Superb images entered for this contest! It would be great to make an album or gallery out of them.

2nd entry :
    Title : Sunny afternoon

Stonemason product used : Streets of the Mediterranean

Software used : Carrara, Photoshop, PWS

sunny_afternoon.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 934K
    edited December 1969

xmasrose said:

2nd entry :
    Title : Sunny afternoon

Wow! I love the style!

Phenomenal. These are both stunning works.

Thanks a lot, although they were somehow running on their own.
    A nice scenery, have a beautiful woman sitting somewhere in the foreground, set the sun and that's it. :)
    edited March 2013

NON ENTRY

Although I did not want to post too many nonentries, because there are so many cool renders where I used Stonemason's products, here is one I could not resist.
    Done somewhen in late 2011.
    Two angles of the same scene.

Title: Last Stand
    Software: Carrara 8.5
    Stonemason product: City Ruins : Vehicles

Last_Stand_101(8.5)a_AC_org_.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 504K
    Last_Stand_004.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 63K
  • jtp_909beac77ajtp_909beac77a Posts: 5
    edited March 2013

Well here is my two bucks worth- having seen the other entries I don't stand a chance but this is my first time trying a competition so what the heck.

Modern Flower fairies (with apologies to the late Cecily May barker) , these two are the flower fairies of today, we have the sweet wrapper fairy and the rubbish bin fairy. these are fairies of the town and roadside. Their efforts may be seen around the city scape and country. The rubbish bin fairy is especially fond of busy road side verges but may also be found working quietly away on quiet road edges just outside town where he works with the common fly tip fairy to produce his effects.
    Stonemason products are the empty warehouse (backdrop) and city ruins for the ground. Free products from Yagami, Kosaburo, trekkie grrl (there may be some more, apols to those that make their stuff for free). lauraxmaddie and Davidxmatt ffigures.
    Minimal post to fix some texture problems (and that nostril glow all the 3's have!)

Space Medic. In Space no one can hear you- oh yeh except for the medics. I'm a volunteer ambo so I liked the idea of showing the after effects of a fire fight or accident.
    Stonemason's GSFC, two M4's, Epsilon suits (with custom texture), and free products besar'kam and T2. Uber lights for fog.
    Post consisted of taken the several renders (I just COULDN'T get the fog effects how I wanted them in one render) and compositing them in Paint shop pro 7. Reasonably happy how it turned out- left it all a bit late!

modern_flower_fairies_the_sweet_wrapper_fairy_and_the_rubbish_bin_fairy.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 220K
    space_medic_1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 114K
    Post edited by jtp_909beac77a on
    edited December 1969

JNZoutdrz said:
    Well here is my two bucks worth- having seen the other entries I don't stand a chance but this is my first time trying a competition so what the heck.

Modern Flower fairies (with apologies to the late Cecily May barker) , these two are the flower fairies of today, we have the sweet wrapper fairy and the rubbish bin fairy. these are fairies of the town and roadside. Their efforts may be seen around the city scape and country. The rubbish bin fairy is especially fond of busy road side verges but may also be found working quietly away on quiet road edges just outside town where he works with the common fly tip fairy to produce his effects.
    Stonemason products are the empty warehouse (backdrop) and city ruins for the ground. Free products from Yagami, Kosaburo, trekkie grrl (there may be some more, apols to those that make their stuff for free). lauraxmaddie and Davidxmatt ffigures.
    Minimal post to fix some texture problems (and that nostril glow all the 3's have!)

Space Medic. In Space no one can hear you- oh yeh except for the medics. I'm a volunteer ambo so I liked the idea of showing the after effects of a fire fight or accident.
    Stonemason's GSFC, two M4's, Epsilon suits (with custom texture), and free products besar'kam and T2. Uber lights for fog.
    Post consisted of taken the several renders (I just COULDN'T get the fog effects how I wanted them in one render) and compositing them in Paint shop pro 7. Reasonably happy how it turned out- left it all a bit late!

I really like your fog effects and light of Space Medic. Good job.

BTW - After everything I have seen in the weeks since I posted my work, I don't think my images stand a chance either but hey...it is still really fun and invigorating to compete at all. The few competitions I have entered this month for DAZ have given me lots of motivation to do my best work. It is really amazing how simple competitions can get your creativity flowing.

• theSeatheSea Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Whew. Thought I was not going to finish in time!

Title: St. George & the Dragon
    Software Used: DAZ Studio 4.5. Postwork in Adobe Photoshop CS4
    Stonemason Products Used: Enchanted Forest 1 & 2, Greek Ruin

GeorgeDragon2a_1600.jpg
    1542 x 1113 - 2M
  • LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

*bites nails* First post ever. Girding loins, diving in, hoping I don't mess something up.

Title: Forget Me Not
    Software used: DAZ Studio 4.5, Photoshop CS6 (signature, white dots on shrooms, upped the magenta slightly)
    Stonemason products used in your image: Modular Ruins, Enchanted Forest, Return to Enchanted Forest

brokenheart.jpg
    1494 x 851 - 1M
  • DecoyboyDecoyboy Posts: 490
    edited December 1969

"We Want You"
    Items used: City Ruins building 1.
    Software: Daz Studio 4 Pro.
    Reality 2.5

We_want_You_stonemason2013_by_decoyboy.jpg
    1190 x 751 - 471K
  • gero_1478aba0a9gero_1478aba0a9 Posts: 25
    edited March 2013

Another last day entry!

Title: We'll meet again at the End of Time

Software Used: Poser Pro & Photoshop

Stonemason Products Used: One Tree Hill, Victorian Street Props

Other Products: Waves on the Beach - Nerd3d, Pirate Essentials, Clockworks: Tower Interior - LukeA

EndOfTime.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by gero_1478aba0a9 on
  • fayriefayrie Posts: 55
    edited December 1969

oh wow lots of great renders in the last day !!!

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

fayrie said:
    oh wow lots of great renders in the last day !!!

No kidding, I don't think my first image has a hope, and my second is not finished. Rendering one version now, hoping to add to it and post that instead but if I can't get it done I'll post what I have when it finishes. It's in with a chance at least...

It's been great to see the images themselves, so different and the standard is so high it's really inspiring.

• DavageDavage Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

OK... Deep Breath, and here we go into this room of amazing wonders.

Here is my First Entry and with the time left it looks like there will be no second.
    Title: Coldstone Falls
    Software used: Daz 4.5 and Photoshop for Postwork
    Stonemason Product used: Return to the Enchanted Forest

Coldstone_Falls.jpg
    1086 x 1500 - 613K
  • omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

I want to extend my compliments to so many of you who submitted your artwork. You took this seriously obviously and when considering what new art work to develop for this, you pushed the bar up quite a bit. A few entries are so spectacular, it would seem impossible to match their creativity in any short time. I applaud you for great art work.

And last, Stonemason himself, great artist, kind soul. Keep up the product development. We keep an account ready to make sure we can purchase your latest items as required stock in our library. May you keep developing for many more years.
    (and I purposefully didn't use your dragon dojo...but...hope you reboot it in the future!)

• Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

csampson said:

Title: Alas Poor Yorick!

First, congrats....nice, very nice composition and render.

Second, thanks for killing my 10hr Gorilla in the Mist render...that now will...not be viable!

:)
    Good work.
    (now on to another piece before deadline-Thank god I have tons already close, just have to finish lighting and composition...anyone doing anything with dolphins?)

:lol: Thanks and sorry about that. I'm working so much I'm lucky to get one out. I had a lot of fun working on it though.

Lighting is the time killer for sure. My machine is so old and slow I did not dare attempt real fur on top of the lighting. Four years old and it's really starting to piss me off trying to work on it. The central lighting is all Vue, but the dark glow and outer dark area's are about four hours in Photoshop experimenting. Learned a lot doing it.

Starting to really like Studio!!!

• omradiocomomradiocom Posts: 66
    edited December 1969

:lol: Thanks and sorry about that. I'm working so much I'm lucky to get one out. I had a lot of fun working on it though.

Lighting is the time killer for sure. My machine is so old and slow I did not dare attempt real fur on top of the lighting. Four years old and it's really starting to piss me off trying to work on it. The central lighting is all Vue, but the dark glow and outer dark area's are about four hours in Photoshop experimenting. Learned a lot doing it.

Starting to really like Studio!!!

My wife is very critical of daz art work and she walked up after I said your piece was up. "oh wow"...she doesn't hand those out.

Our main criteria when looking at many pieces...does it tell a story...or..is it just a bunch of objects that don't tell me a story. That can be hard to compose. Yours told a story well, even if one doesn't know Hamlet. The colours are vibrant, the parts are well played.

Great work!

• Helvetica 2013Helvetica 2013 Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

First Official Entry:
    Title: Caught in the Tractor Beam!
    Daz3D 4.5 and Photoshop CS 6

Products used:
    Enchanted Forest
    City Ruins : Vehicles
    Rubble
    The Backstreets

Tractor_Beam.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • Mary WilliamsMary Williams Posts: 108
    edited December 1969

OMG! Is it the 15th yet??!?!?!

Title: Ringed in Fire
    "What story do -you- see?"

This was a bit problematic for me. There were parts I wanted and parts I didn't have, so I ended up taking apart several sets and re-saving the bits and pieces back to my library so I could "cut-and-paste" them around my scene. (Don't kill me!) This was good, though, because I didn't realize how many dead trees and plants were in Enchanted Forest 2, and that's exactly what I needed!

Software: Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop.

Foreground: Lava Planet (ground), Enchanted Forest 2 (trees, stairs), Streets of Asia 2 (stone lantern, island statue, wood railing), Castle Ruins (walls), Jepe's Flamez (smoke).

Child: Kids 4, Winter Fun, Hongyu's Sportbaby2, DM's Rosemary, Mechanica No5 (umbrella), Deaddy Bear, Cowpokes (jeans), K4 Sweetheart (shoes), Bunny Dazed/Gothic Bunny Dazed (backpack).

Background: Lava Planet (3x land, sky, buildings), The Core (the platform pulled off with the Poser Grouping tool and squished into a lake), Enchanted Forest 1 (trees), Poser primitives (outer ring, wall, turf), Ron's Birds, Ron's Steam and Smoke. Lava Planet buildings were re-scaled, re-shadered (but have the same maps), and parts were selectively pulled off using the Poser Grouping tool.

Lighting: Render Studio, IDL Studio.

Not posted anywhere else.

Whew. Did I make it in time?

ring_in_fire_1600.jpg
    1600 x 1067 - 646K
  • Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

I don't see a deadline timezone. Is it midnight in a certain timezone on the 15th? Also is it one win per person? I went blind after about 25 pages of looking, so sorry if it's been asked or I missed it.

I'm thinking of trying to get a second in under the wire depending on time zone. I have one mostly together I have in mind but likely won't manage it this late. If I had not broken my toe, I would have never got the other one out. I did not notice this going on until well into it.

Csamson, no dolphins I promise. Thanks again for the encouragement and "oh wow" is a wonderful critique. :)